Blood pressure questions

Guest wtn001

Guest doctidy

If your heart rate is that low we'll have you do some exercises, pushups, situps, etc to get it up. We just need to see that it responds.

your bp is fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jerseybum

I've done some searches on the forum and learned a few things, but I have a few questions about blood pressure and the problems I may encounter.

A little Background: I'm in great shape, I run/bike 45 minutes 5 days/week, weightlifting, I'm not overweight but for the past 5 years I've had my bp registering high occasionally. I actually was on my College Crew team my freshman year in fantastic shape and went in for a physical and it was like 145/XX. Ended up doing the whole electrocardiogram(?) and everything looked fine, went in a number of times and they seemed content that it was the white coat deal, though I'm not COMPletely sure since it seems to register in that region quite often.

Anyway, I'm curious what kind of ordeals I'm going to run into. I'm only applying to Guard Units and I have an FAA 1st Class though that just means my BP is under 155/XX (It was actually 140/80 at the exam). I'm going to begin by trying to put myself on a better diet, college doesn't make that too easy though. But I would like to know First, If I am accepted by a unit for UPT and then I go and get a physical they can reject me for high BP (>140/90) correct? Also, what is the waiver process for this and is being put on medication for high bp an acceptable alternative if need be, or is it all-natural only if you're not through training? I probably didn't ask all the right questions so any information would be helpful - thanks.

Do not worry about it... I have the white coat problem too. I showed up for UPT and during the initial physical I registered a nice 174/80. Needless to say the doc looked at me and asked if I ever had a problem with high BP before. He ended up having me wait a few days and come back for a three day string of readings. Everything came back down to semi normal levels and we pressed. If you are not able to get the BP down they can give you a Rx for the BP, but it is a pain from what I was told.

Robes

Guest jerseybum

Thanks, that's definitely promising.

So the worst that could happen if it ends up being high during the initial physical or later is that they'll put me on medication you believe? Or would a waiver be required just to be on those meds?

Guest Rage_:P
I've done some searches on the forum and learned a few things, but I have a few questions about blood pressure and the problems I may encounter.

A little Background: I'm in great shape, I run/bike 45 minutes 5 days/week, weightlifting, I'm not overweight but for the past 5 years I've had my bp registering high occasionally. I actually was on my College Crew team my freshman year in fantastic shape and went in for a physical and it was like 145/XX. Ended up doing the whole electrocardiogram(?) and everything looked fine, went in a number of times and they seemed content that it was the white coat deal, though I'm not COMPletely sure since it seems to register in that region quite often.

Anyway, I'm curious what kind of ordeals I'm going to run into. I'm only applying to Guard Units and I have an FAA 1st Class though that just means my BP is under 155/XX (It was actually 140/80 at the exam). I'm going to begin by trying to put myself on a better diet, college doesn't make that too easy though. But I would like to know First, If I am accepted by a unit for UPT and then I go and get a physical they can reject me for high BP (>140/90) correct? Also, what is the waiver process for this and is being put on medication for high bp an acceptable alternative if need be, or is it all-natural only if you're not through training? I probably didn't ask all the right questions so any information would be helpful - thanks.

You need to take care of yourself. You need a decision...White Coat Hypertension vs real Hypertension. If white coat...bring in the documentation...depending on the exam you may or may not need a waiver. If real hypertension...get treated w/ either an angiotensin inhibitor or a diuretic. Bring the documentation into your exam and they'll evaluate you for a waiver.

Either way, you need to:

1 - get a firm diagnosis

2 - start moving down the road to where you would need a flight physical

Guest jerseybum
You need to take care of yourself. You need a decision...White Coat Hypertension vs real Hypertension. If white coat...bring in the documentation...depending on the exam you may or may not need a waiver. If real hypertension...get treated w/ either an angiotensin inhibitor or a diuretic. Bring the documentation into your exam and they'll evaluate you for a waiver.

Either way, you need to:

1 - get a firm diagnosis

2 - start moving down the road to where you would need a flight physical

Yeah that makes sense, it probably wouldn't be smart to just let it go and hope it's white coat. I havne't really dealt with any of this for or at least had to worry about it the last few years. Unfortunately I just lost medical insurance when I turned 23 through my Father, so my options are the University clinic or my Guard base, or paying for it privately. Any suggestion for course of action? ie. is this something my school clinic would do for me or something I need to go to a general practitioner outside school or military?

I would suggest that you go into the clinic every so often and get a reading on your BP... I know that mine was because I still had to take the depth perception test, which I never seem to be able to see. Another thing you can do to track it yourself (not official) is to go purchase a BP monitor at the local pharmacy (50 bucks) and track it at home yourself. Best of luck!

Robes

Guest Rage_:P
I would suggest that you go into the clinic every so often and get a reading on your BP... I know that mine was because I still had to take the depth perception test, which I never seem to be able to see. Another thing you can do to track it yourself (not official) is to go purchase a BP monitor at the local pharmacy (50 bucks) and track it at home yourself. Best of luck!

Robes

He needs a "medical" decision...tracking it is up to him and his doc.

I think you can get treated by either the student clinic or your unit. We're talking blood pressure here, not brain surgery.

• 5 months later...
I do have some questions though. My UPT start date isn't until next summer. While on casual am I going to have to go get another FC1 physical, or how does that work? I'm still kinda skeptical of my waiver, even though it was approved... Is the physical I took at the Academy pretty much the main one, and the physicals on casual just "routine" physicals or is there more to it? I'm still kinda worried the AF might be like "oh damn, we made a mistake" or something to that extent, lol....

Your grad physical is your FC1 and if the waiver was approved you're good to go...stop worrying. You should just have to get your yearly physicals done now. Find out if the waiver needs to be re-done each year and give yourself some extra time if it does so the paperwork can be accomplished (i.e. don't go in for your physical on the last day of your birth month).

Guest P27:17
Your grad physical is your FC1 and if the waiver was approved you're good to go...stop worrying. You should just have to get your yearly physicals done now. Find out if the waiver needs to be re-done each year and give yourself some extra time if it does so the paperwork can be accomplished (i.e. don't go in for your physical on the last day of your birth month).

Good advice Herk.

I would also add the following:

Your original FC 1 is valid for 4 years. You would need a new one if you didn't start UPT before the expiration date. After that you get the Class II PHA. You were fortunate to get the waiver but that just proves that each case is different and judged on it's own merit. AETC, as the waiver authority, often gets the bad rap for being the bad news guys...but they are good people trying their best to put the right folks into the air. So congratulations and do well in UPT.

• 9 months later...
Guest dStressor

Going to have to resurrect this old post -- can't seem to find my answer in this thread or others I've found.

I understand that a waiver for high BP is more likely to be approved once you're rated as opposed to on an initial FCI. However, what about in between -- I'm in Phase III now and am scheduled to get my wings in a few months. My BP has been testing high -- About 150/95 has been the average. If I go to the flight doc and they decide I need medication (I've been trying the diet and exercise thing and haven't had any luck), will it likely affect my training? I could probably take a 14 day grounding without having to worry about washing, but most likely not much more than that.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Going to have to resurrect this old post -- can't seem to find my answer in this thread or others I've found.

I understand that a waiver for high BP is more likely to be approved once you're rated as opposed to on an initial FCI. However, what about in between -- I'm in Phase III now and am scheduled to get my wings in a few months. My BP has been testing high -- About 150/95 has been the average. If I go to the flight doc and they decide I need medication (I've been trying the diet and exercise thing and haven't had any luck), will it likely affect my training? I could probably take a 14 day grounding without having to worry about washing, but most likely not much more than that.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

I won't be able to help you with flight school. But I went for a incentive flight physical with ROTC a while ago. I was an idiot and had a Red Bull on my way that raised my blood pressure. Had to wait about 30 minutes to test again to prove I don't have it as a normal everyday problem.

If your testing, try to stay away from any stimulants (Energy drinks, caffeine, etc).

This probably doesn't help. But take it for what its worth. Good luck to you. Hope it gets resolved.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JTAC26

I've got a what if question about BP is ya'll don't mind.

I have just been selected by my guard unit for a pilot slot. I am a rated JTAC/TACP and planning to attend Army Airborne in August. I have a class III; however, my civilian dr. (who is like my 2nd dad) has diagnosed me with hypertension (completely inherited according to him). When I took my class III is when I started noticing it. I was able to get it down enough to pass (litteraly moped around and went to the clinic right out of bed). BUT, now I'm in the situation to get a FC1.....will I be able to get a waiver (w/ approved meds) or am I SOL?

Thanks ahead of time!

• 3 months later...

So I have been having the Blood pressure spike every time I go on base to get my BP checked!

My 5 day BP checked has turned into two weeks of BP checks everyday. Luckily the Base clinic med tech NCO has been more than willing to help me out till I get the required numbers.

Currently My average is 144/93 on the left and 142/91 on the right arm.

I can not believe that I'm about to loose my CSO slot because of this "white coat syndrome" .

Does anyone know if there is a waiver for high blood pressure? Or has any body ever received a waiver for high blood pressure?

I know there is a waiver for rated officers but the regs don't say anything about the Initial FC1A.

Any insight would be highly appreciative.

Thanks

Edited by budderbar

Jcxp15,

Thanks for the info about the waiver.

I don't have hypertension according to my last reading at the clinic, Systolic in the mid 120's and Diastolic mid 70's in both arms. My civilian MD recommended I get a Relaxing Aid called "STRESSERASER" and it worked. The "STRESSERASER" is like a video game and teaches you how to breath in response to your pulse and biofeedback (whatever that means). I sat for about 15 minutes with my eyes closed breathing in slowly counting each exhale to about 7 seconds following the "Stresseraser's" beeps.

So tomorrow I will go in again and hopefully will be that last BP check with a average sub 140/90.

Thanks again for the info, knowing that at least it's possible to get a waiver puts me even more at ease even though I don't think I will need it.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone else had experience with such a waiver as a upt bound student? I know my blood pressure is occasionally above 140/90, and I am certain it will be if I am anxious about it during the medical. I am fine in all other areas I am aware of (ie: weight, diet, physical fitness, etc.)

I was told that once on active duty they will just put you on meds and give you a waiver and its not that big of a deal. However that is once you get your FC1 and on active duty. And again this is just what I was told by a Med Tech where I did my 5day BP check.

And as gay as it sounds the "streeseraser" really works for white coat syndrome if that's your problem.

Good luck

Edited by budderbar

• 11 months later...
Guest DavisF22

So bringing back an old thread. I just checked my bp at walmart. It was 144/74 and I'm just wondering if this would be a DQ for my FC1 in texas. I know the first number is high but the second is normal. I've read the thread and saw that most people that were concerned both numbers were high. This isn't the case for me.

Just to get a quick overview I'm in pretty good shape. I weigh 163 with height of 72in I believe last time I checked. Will this be an issue for my physical at Brooks?

I'm thinking about just going and getting a physical and see how everything is I doubt the Walmart machines are all that reliable and I heard if you get it in the morning it's better than if you were to check it at night.

Thanks for your responses

Walmart machines aren't really known for their precision... and neither are the store-bought home units.

Eat less salt...etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Just looking for some help here. I see that those blood pressure machines at places such as wal-mart might not be that accurate so here is my question. Everytime I go in to get my BP checked it says I'm in the 140's/80's range the first time I check it. Then I check it a couple minutes later and its in the 130's/70's range. THEN I check it for a third time after that while I'm still sitting there, and the last one read 119/71. My pulse rate is usually around 65-70 if that matters? Why is it varying so much with my BP? I have done it on two different occasions now and same results. I'm just curious if it is something I should worry about for my FC1 or MFS?

I'm 6'2'' and weigh 195 pounds and I have my PPL and just recently passed my FAA physical about 2 1/2 months ago with no problems and I want to say my BP was in the 120's/70's range just to give some background.

Edited by UPTgoal

160/100 before 20mg Lisinopril, now down to acceptable levels. F-16 pilot, waiver took 1 day to get. Better living through chemistry.

Was that when you were going for your initial FC1 and MFS before you got your wings or after?