Contact lens info

Guest jassayag

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody have a link to the 2011 approved contact list?

If there isn't anyone with a current copy, you should be able to find it here with a CAC:

6.34.1. Only SCLs and related solutions identified on the―ACSCL_Approved_SCL_SOLUTIONS‖ list are authorized for use. The ―ACSCL_Approved SCL_Solutions‖ list is reviewed and updated by USAFSAM/FECO annually. The current list is available online in the Air Force KX: https://kx.afms.mil/usaf_contact_lens

Edit: Had a chance to grab them off the site. Interesting to note that Proclear is not on the 2011 list, but the Memo doesn't say anything about it being removed.

2011ACSCLP_ApprovedList.pdf

2011_ACSCLP_signed_memo.pdf

Edited by SurelySerious

• 2 months later...

2012 ACSCL. Anyone with insight on why Proclear is no longer an approved lens? It disappeared form the 2011 list without explanation in the memo.

Awesome, thanks. I'm currently on Ciba Vison AquaComfort Plus Dailies. Should I switch to one of the ones on the list ASAP? I'm going to IFS at the end of July and ENJJPT in October.

• 4 weeks later...

Went in to flight med this morning for in-process at Columbus to ask about getting on the contact lens program for pilots and was told to come back in next week for an appt. I've been wearing contacts since about 2004 and was using Acuvue 2 and now Biofinity contacts. Is this mostly going to be filling out paperwork to get me in the program or do I have to do multiple appointments like was said earlier in this forum?

My civilian prescription by my Optometrist is this:

Sph Cyl Axis

OD -1.00

OS -1.00 -.075 076

Am I good to go for the the contact lens program? The SSgt at the front desk said I might need a waiver for the difference in my eyes but she wasn't really sure and didnt ask the flight doc but now I'm curious as to if I do or not? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by UPTgoal

If we wear glasses.. do they have to be specific brand? Or can I get my brand approved by flight doc? Recently bought some prescription Maui Jim Aviators and they were expensive to say the least.

I don't know the AFI answer. But no one has time to worry or care about what you are wearing in flight. Assuming your MJ's are polarized, that creates some "issues" with looking at the cockpit display (or so I'm told) and is probably forbidden.

If you are getting ready to go to UPT, you will be wearing a helmet through the T-6 phase. I would not subject my expensive MJ's to that (nevermind the polarization issue).

Get some gov't freebies. They don't look like much, but they work ok.

And the price is right.

Edited by Huggyu2

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...

Thread revival. When at my FC1 the flight doc told me to try to get enrolled in the soft contacts lense program through my unit before heading to UPT because once at training they don't want to take the time to schedule your follow-up appointments between classes (1 week, 1 month, 6 month, etc). A lot of the pilots in my unit said the same thing but our optometrist on-base is a DSG and can't do the 1 week follow-up appointment. So it sounds like I might not be able to get enrolled in the program before UPT. I still need to touch base with our flight doc to see if it's something he could waive (he's gone this UTA) but I've noticed some older posts about if you've been wearing approved soft contacts for 6 months prior to UPT you can get enrolled in the program once you arrive to your training base (you just have to do it first thing when you're medical in-progressing).

Any recent experiences with this? I'm also thinking about reaching out to some AD bases around where I live but my experience with that has historically been that flight medicine dosent like to work with people if it's not their responsibility. I've been wearing approved lenses for the past couple of years. 

On 2/26/2023 at 9:51 AM, Burt said:

Thread revival. When at my FC1 the flight doc told me to try to get enrolled in the soft contacts lense program through my unit before heading to UPT because once at training they don't want to take the time to schedule your follow-up appointments between classes (1 week, 1 month, 6 month, etc). A lot of the pilots in my unit said the same thing but our optometrist on-base is a DSG and can't do the 1 week follow-up appointment. So it sounds like I might not be able to get enrolled in the program before UPT. I still need to touch base with our flight doc to see if it's something he could waive (he's gone this UTA) but I've noticed some older posts about if you've been wearing approved soft contacts for 6 months prior to UPT you can get enrolled in the program once you arrive to your training base (you just have to do it first thing when you're medical in-progressing).

Any recent experiences with this? I'm also thinking about reaching out to some AD bases around where I live but my experience with that has historically been that flight medicine dosent like to work with people if it's not their responsibility. I've been wearing approved lenses for the past couple of years. 

I've always assumed the 1 week/month, 6 month follow-up was a requirement for new contact lens wearers.  If you are in an approved lens prior to showing up, I would expect the optometrist will enroll you in the soft contact lens program at UPT.