Glasses vs contacts at UPT

Guest michaelh

I've worn contacts all through UPT and I highly recommend wearing them as opposed to glasses. They help with your overall SA (you don't get a double vision effect), and I think they stay in place better while maneuvering the jet. However, I've worn contact lenses for the last 8 years and that seems to be the determining factor once you get to UPT. If you arrive already having worn contact lenses than they will usually let you continue to wear them, you will only have to switch to an Air Force approved brand.

If/When I get to UPT I will have been wearing contacts for 3+ years or so (hopefully I will not have to get LASIK or PRK) Once you got to UPT, how easy was it for a flight doc to see your history of contact lens wear? Did you have it documented from Brooks? casual? ROTC/AFA? Were you already wearing an AF approved brand?

I've worn (wore) contacts for 2 years prior to UPT but not AF approved contacts and now I'm stuck wearing BCG's for pilot training. Not only can you not wear contacts while flying you can't wear contacts when not flying either. Great. Take it for what it's worth but, even if you end up not liking contacts in the end, by not wearing them you'll no longer have the choice. And as was said before make sure they're AF approved.

Was that solely for the fact that you weren't wearing AF approved lenses? Were you given any explanation as to why you can't you wear contact lenses when not flying?

Anyone have a list or link to AF approved contact lenses? Would a brand differ between flight approved vs. non-rated jobs? Any insight would be great, thanks.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Air Force issues you flying frames. You need six months wearing the approved contacts before flying in them. I was lucky and had been wearing an approved brand my entire life so I just asked to be on the program and I was after a quick visit with the doc.

They do issue you government glasses, but I have not worn them once in my 5 years of flying, and I wear glasses regularly. I have a set that I bought myself that I wear and nobody has told me I can't wear them, even though you are technically suppose to wear the government issued ones. However, I do bring them with me for the yearly physical and eye exam, as well as keep 2 sets in my helmet bag, and even then they haven't told me to put them on.

Guest alfakilo

They do issue you government glasses, but I have not worn them once in my 5 years of flying, and I wear glasses regularly. I have a set that I bought myself that I wear and nobody has told me I can't wear them, even though you are technically suppose to wear the government issued ones. However, I do bring them with me for the yearly physical and eye exam, as well as keep 2 sets in my helmet bag, and even then they haven't told me to put them on.

"They" aren't required to tell you that. If your medical says glasses, then that's that. Just don't put yourself into a situation where you will be required to explain why you didn't have them on.

I've spent several years trying to find the best glasses to fly with. Honestly, for night flights and especially with NVGs I actually like the issue glasses best. They are big and ugly and my wife won't let me wear them around her, but the truth is they fit comfortably under a helmet and I find the large dorky surface area of the glasses more functional when continuously looking through & under NVGs than a stylish pair of raybans.

For day flights it really depends. You don't want to wear a polarized lens, and you want a frame that sits thin and close to your head and ears but doesn't distract you by putting weight on your nose. The issue glasses are ok for this purpose, but their great fail (other than a style fail) is the light allowed to come in from the sides. Theres a huge gap between the side of your head and the lens; light coming at you perpendicularly will simultaneously create a bright spot for your eyes and reflect off the inside of the lens, projecting an image of whatever is 120 degrees behind you on your lens. Great for ninjas but bad for pilots. I know some guys who mitigate this by wearing clear issue galsses and putting a visor down on a helmet, but this isn't always practical. It may work at UPT or if you fly fighters, but it won't work if you fly with a headset, obviously. Also, my helmet won't fit a visor so I can't tell you how good this technique is. If you want to spend your own money on a pair of prescription sunglasses that don't look embarassing and also functionally keep light from the sides I recommend finding a pair of plastic frame raybans. I've tried several brands and found what fits me best. You can't have too much of a wrap for prescription lenses and you don't want the frame to bend; so with that criteria in mind I'd just go to lenscrafters and try several pairs till you find what you like.

So you know 202v3 says this about your question:

6.3.1. Spectacles. While performing aircrew duties, crewmembers must use only Air Force provided

spectacles and sunglasses. The Improved Aircrew Spectacle (IAS), including sunglasses, is ordered as

the Air Force Flight Frame. The HGU-4/P is authorized only if the IAS is unavailable.

which means that technically you are only allowed to wear AF issue frames. No one cares in the real Air Force, but if someone is going to say some shit about you wearing a pair you bought it will be at UPT. So be aware and do it anyway. Hope this helps.

Edited by tac airlifter

"2" on what others have said regarding the AF issue glasses. Before I got contacts, I always wore the big dorky glasses while flying. The big surface area made them really functional, especially when looking under NVG's. They can issue you RX sunglasses as well. If you can, try to get the temple style with the little wire that wraps around the back of your ear (I think they call them the "comfort cable" or something). It's extremely comfortable under a headset, and will keep those big heavy suckers from sliding off your head when your face gets sweaty. All that being said, contacts are the way to go IMO. I got them 6 months ago and have never regretted it.

Quick question, are contacts a go for deployed locations? I don't know why they wouldn't be but since I'm a rookie I didn't know for sure. Only flew with my actual glasses once and it was my civilian-looking ones issued by the AF. I'm guessing those would meet the requirements of the reg w/o looking ridiculous since they were provided directly by the military eye doc.

Quick question, are contacts a go for deployed locations? I don't know why they wouldn't be but since I'm a rookie I didn't know for sure. Only flew with my actual glasses once and it was my civilian-looking ones issued by the AF. I'm guessing those would meet the requirements of the reg w/o looking ridiculous since they were provided directly by the military eye doc.

I've worn my contacts at the Deid without any problems. On some of the dustier days glasses might be more comfortable, but that's about it. I don't like wearing the normal-looking glasses that the AF gave me when I fly because they bend easily/don't fit well with a headset, and are too narrow to work well with NVG's. I've never met anyone who gave me a hard time about what glasses I wear, but per the reg the only ones you're technically allowed to wear are the ugly ones (including sunglasses). Like I said though, nobody really seems to care, so do what works best for you.

• 1 year later...

Contacts work very well for me. I haven't worn glasses in the cockpit in almost 20 years.

A few years ago, I switched to disposable lenses. Definitely the way to go for eye-health, cost, convenience.

Contacts work very well for me. I haven't worn glasses in the cockpit in almost 20 years.

A few years ago, I switched to disposable lenses. Definitely the way to go for eye-health, cost, convenience.

You wear contacts inside that space helmet? What do you do if one feels a little unsettled or feels like it might pop out?

• 8 months later...

Just received my IAS (clear and tinted) today. They might as well stamp "P**** MAGNET" on the box. Good to hear that other dudes are in the same boat. I have never worn glasses in my life, but have to fly with them. I am correct in my understanding that the only approved corrective lenses for flying while in the training pipeline are the Air Force Flight Frames (IAS)?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, pretty safe to say those are the only frames... but find a cool flight doc and eye doc and you can get contacts. When I was in UPT, I was about a month into -38's (2008 timeframe) and I had a problem with my glasses fogging, I went to the doc, told him what was happening, wore contacts for a week while flying with my glasses still. After a week of no issues, he checked my eyes, and signed me off to fly well before the 6 months required that most guys will quote you. It all depends on the docs. Just go talk to them and you may be able to get into contacts way quicker.

• 1 year later...

Thread revival here. So I'll be wearing the flight frames at UPT due to the fact that contacts have always bothered my eyes. I've been a glasses only person for the last 5 or 6 years and have been much happier not having to deal with dry eyes and all that.

But anyway, is this what the flight frames/sunglasses look like?

sunglasses_header2.jpg

While not the coolest things in the world those are significantly less nerdy than what I had been imagining. Just curious what kind of sexiness I am in for.

AF Flight frames on top, AO on the bottom. I personally like the AO frames better since they for my face a bit better. The flight frames have 3 choices in temple styles: bayonet (goes straight back), comfort cable (hooks around your ear so it doesn't slide and is comfortable, but is a pain to trade sunglasses for clear and vice versa when wearing a helmet), and the 'normal' glasses temple.

You can also get different frame widths to fit your face better, and can get gold or black frames.

post-269-0-32916900-1378066022_thumb.jpg

You can get the AO/Randolph issued to you as your 'frame of choice' as a clear lens and silver frame only, but its not approved for flight anymore.

For the flight frames, you should get 2 clear, and 2 tinted. Those are the only ones approved for flight. For UPT I'd recommend wearing them- you never know when you're going to fly with someone who cares. Operationally, most people I've flown with ignore that and fly with other glasses/sunglasses. I personally still use them since they work and I dont have good reason not to, but do rock the AOs when I'm wearing my contacts because my squadron refuses to issue the approved nonprescription sunglasses.

Random fact: if you go to an aircraft that uses NVGs, you can get the polycarb/impact resistant lenses instead of the normal plastic lenses.

I can't remember if its a 202v3 or my MDS v3, but I know I always have to fly with a spare set of clear lens glasses (so either 2 sets of clear lenses, or contacts + spare clear lenses).

You can get the AO/Randolph issued to you as your 'frame of choice' as a clear lens and silver frame only, but its not approved for flight anymore.

For the flight frames, you should get 2 clear, and 2 tinted. Those are the only ones approved for flight. For UPT I'd recommend wearing them- you never know when you're going to fly with someone who cares. Operationally, most people I've flown with ignore that and fly with other glasses/sunglasses. I personally still use them since they work and I dont have good reason not to, but do rock the AOs when I'm wearing my contacts because my squadron refuses to issue the approved nonprescription sunglasses.

Ah ok, thanks for the info. That is too bad as I know those flight frames will look goofy on my narrow face. Oh well, thanks again for the info.

• 8 months later...

What is the best temple style to wear with the helmet and O2 mask? Comfort cable? Or just the standard regular glasses earpiece? I'm assuming the bayonet is not the best choice. Like someone else who posted here I'm a glasses only guy. My eyes have never really gelled with any type of contacts I've tried.

Also does anyone here know anyone who has continued to wear the flight frames post UPT? Especially in an aircraft that flies with the helmet and mask? Just hoping I'm not putting myself at a disadvantage by being a glasses only guy.