Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ColMustard

General waiver information

5 hours ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

REVIVAL. I'm a guard applicant. I have a history of childhood asthma and wanted to know the best process for waiver submittal for MEPS and FC1. Can I ask to submit a waiver before MEPS so I don't have to wait for the appointment, get DQ'd and then do the whole process? Basically is there a way to go about this as efficient as possible as to avoid delays?

First off, disclaimer.  I'm not a pulmonologist.  But, I know a little about AF policy.  If you had documented asthma after age 12 or 13, I don't believe it's waiverable.  Before that age, you're likely going to have to pass either a PFT or MCT or both.  I don't know the MEPS process, but for FC I, they are going to want the breathing tests done at Wright-Patt.  I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but maybe it helps a little?

7 minutes ago, stuckindayton said:

First off, disclaimer.  I'm not a pulmonologist.  But, I know a little about AF policy.  If you had documented asthma after age 12 or 13, I don't believe it's waiverable.  Before that age, you're likely going to have to pass either a PFT or MCT or both.  I don't know the MEPS process, but for FC I, they are going to want the breathing tests done at Wright-Patt.  I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but maybe it helps a little?

My disclaimer, I'm not in the AF either, nor have I gone through any of this process. This is only what I've heard from pilots who have had asthma, or applicants currently going through the waiver process for asthma. If you have ongoing asthma after the age of 13, then yes it is DQ with no waiver. If you have things such as an inhaler or follow-up asthma visits after your 13th birthday because your parents make you because of paranoia, you will likely have to do PFT + MCT. Then it is up to AETC evaluation I believe. 

My question was more geared towards do you have to go to MEPS to get DQ'd or can you call them up before hand and say you have a DQ condition and a waiver needs to start so you don't waste 2-3 months waiting for a MEPS appointment, just to go get DQ'd and have to get a waiver, if that makes sense...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you'll send in a packet prior to MEPS to essentially get permission to come into MEPS and anything you need a waiver for will be in that.

• Thanks 1

I don't know the answers to those questions.  I've actually never seen a waiver from MEPS.  In my experience, MEPS just does their thing and then Big Blue decides whether to send you on to compete the FC I.  In regards to the FC I, nothing is done ahead of time as far as waivers go.  The folks at Wright-Patt will review your case and decide if it makes sense to bring you.  If it does, then any required waivers get processed after your eval.

• Thanks 1