General waiver information

Guest ColMustard

Guest F16PilotMD

In general, no. If Brooks DQs you at MFS, you're likely done. One can always submit waivers, etc. But...you are basically asking the waiver authority--who already said no--to grant you the waiver. That's not technically true, but functionally...that's pretty much it.

I have encountered a few MFS DQs that we've tried to get waivers for...NO GO!

Guest cb03t

How often will AETC/SG look at a record and DQ after Brooks doesn't recommend DQ? I got through Brooks recently "unscaved" or atleast I think I did. Thanks

Guest doctidy

It is not uncommon for a MAJCOM or AF to waive someone even if Brooks recommends no waiver. I have not seen it that a MAJCOM doesn't waive something that Brooks has recommended waiving.

Brooks = very conservative

MAJCOMs / AFs = less conservative

I got an AETC/SG waiver after a Brooks DQ, but Brooks raised hell and they rescinded it. Like Rage said MAJCOM is usually less conservative than Brooks. The question is, what's the harm in trying? I can't see any.

So who starts the waiver train (I'm Active Duty)? The Brooks flight doc (who obviously didn't enjoy his job), stated my condition was unwaiverable. The above posts make it sound like there's a waiver for everything, regardless of what the waiver guide states.

Guest Falconvalley

I'm in the same boat as the everyone that has last been told by Brooks that they can't get a waiver. I have also been told that I don't have any more options, but when I said I'd keep talking to higher rank until i was given a good reason for DQ, I got a chance to hold my slot while I research for a way in. I've talked to no less than 3 pilots at my Wing that all were first told "DQ/no waiver/don't ask why/just go away". They all said basically the same thing: it's your career. Don't let someone else's career dictate where you stop. Get informed and get allies. Get tested again and again and have your results documented to the last detail. At some point, someone important will pick up your file and get you the answers you need. Peristance doesn't mean 100% chance, but does mathematically reduce the possibility of needlessly been passed over for someone who medically quals, but doesn't love flying as much as we do.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Falconvalley

I finally got some good answers in my case. My base stuck up for me and asked AETC to review my package a little closer and be specific about my disqual for refraction (I'm farsighted, but acuity better than 20/20). AETC said the only thing I can do is get a cyclic and color corneal topography the same day and send the results to AETC for further review.

So...it seems that persistance leads to answers...and hopefully good news down the road for me

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Broncopilot943

Ok, so i submitted my physical back in march with my astigmatism outside of limits (but well within waiver limits). Apparently, it got lost somewhere in the process, and is being re-submitted and I should have an answer in a week or so. I talked to the MSGT In charge of the paperwork for my guard unit and asked him "isnt the AETC supposed to deny the FC1, then we have to submit a separate waiver package?" He answered confidently with "No, they either issue the waiver or they dont." Is this right? I guess my medical had to get sent to the NGB to get signed off by the state flight surgeon before getting sent to the aetc...thats where it is now.

Guest Falconvalley

I'm not an expert with the waiver process, but that's how my package was sent, also. In your package, there is a form that lists the different values from your physical (eyes, BP, height, weight, cholesterol, etc). If you don't meet any of the criteria, any measurement that exceeds limits will be noted in a block near the bottom of that form. AETC will decide whether the condition is waiverable. I originally thought I had to ask for a waiver AFTER disqualification, but because of the process, waiver requests probably coincide with the review. Basically, your medics are probably requesting a waiver while noting the astigmatism on that form (can't remember the number of the form).

• 6 months later...
Guest Broncopilot943

I was wondering whether or not, when a waiver package is submitted, it always has to go to ACS for evaluation or not. I was originally under the impression that if waiver standards were met, a waiver was granted without much hassel. I called my unit, and they tell me my ERE waiver is at ACS under review. Is that a bad sign, or should I just chill.

Thanks

Guest chrarm80

If it's at AETC, it's fine. I'm not sure what ACS is. I know that for my waiver, it had to go to AETC for approval.

Guest F16PilotMD

Some "go" to the ACS, some don't. It really makes no difference to you. Just wait for an answer. The ACS may request you be seen at Brooks is the only issue that may arise beyond just waiting.

There are many more details to the answer...but they are not of any use...all we do is wait. Who looks at it and etc is all chaff. There are some times that it affects what I do as the flt doc, but not often.

• 9 months later...
Guest dpiddycanfly

Another PRK waiver question for you:

When I went to MEPS I told the doc that I had PRK 3 years ago and showed him all of the documents from my eye doctor and my eyes tested fine. He signed everything off and that was the end of it. I was selected for a pilot slot on the last rated board and never had to apply for a waiver. I am going for my FC1 on the 21st. Do I need to take these documents with me and will I have to apply for a waiver then? If so, when could I expect to get that approved? Thanks.

Guest bullseyekp

Talk to your recruiter. Mine began my initial waiver paperwork the day after I was DQed at MEPS. Supposedly, they have a limited amount of time to reply (45 days I think, but I can't remember). Mine took just less than a month but they'll fiddle with the waiver again when they go to actually process your FC1 paperwork - which could be months after you go in for your poking and prodding.

Guest doctidy

You don't apply for a waiver. They will do it all for you at Brooks. But do bring in all your paperwork.

At last count I only found 2 applicants who did not get a waiver for PRK. The problem is corneal haze (the cornea is cloudy after surgery).

Guest dpiddycanfly

Okay thanks, that relaxes me a little bit. One more question: I am going to Shaw, AFB for my FC1 on the 21st. Do I need to show them any paperwork?

Guest bullseyekp

When I say apply, I meant hand all of my paperwork to my recruiter. As I understand it, he sent it all to Brooks. Why not take a copy of your pre- and post-op paperwork just to ensure that you're not caught off guard. They didn't ask for it when I went in for my FC1 but a doc from TAFB called about a month after I went in asking for all of the pre- and post-op paperwork. I told him my recruiter had copies of it all and that's where he went next.

Take all of your documents with you to Shaw. They should attach them to your exam and forward the entire package to AETC for waiver certification. You will be going through the "two part exam". Your IFC 1 and if cleared, your IFC 1 will say something to the effect "qualified with waiver for PRK pending successful completion of MFS", then you'll go to Brooks for the Medical Flight Screening at a later date. When you are about 2 to 3 weeks out from your MFS at Brooks, you can FAX the PRK records to them for review and clearance to proceed.