General waiver information

Guest ColMustard

Guest SpacemanFry

It seems all the links for the Waiver Guide that I've found on these forums and other website are no longer working. Anybody have a working link to the Waiver Guide ? Thanks.

Guest awfltdoc

USAF Waiver Guide

I am not sure if this link is available to the public. It [waiver guide] was moved from the Brooks site to the Air Force Medical Service Knowledge Exchange site. I am not sure if the waiver guide is available in a different location.

Edited by awfltdoc

Guest SpacemanFry
USAF Waiver Guide

I am not sure if this link is available to the public. It [waiver guide] was moved from the Brooks site to the Air Force Medical Service Knowledge Exchange site. I am not sure if the waiver guide is available in a different location.

Yea that link you posted asks me to log in so I guess it's not available to the public. If anybody knows of a public version of it please let me know.

Thanks

Guest ABMWannabe

To provide a little more info on this, you can only get to it if you are working on a machine in the .mil domain (doesn't require username/password in that case). I have looked around but haven't found it anywhere else.

On a side note, I have found that the approved aircrew medication list on the same site can't be accessed without a username/password, even from a .mil computer. Anyone know if there is anywhere else it can be found? If someone wants to send me a copy, that would be ok too :) Thanks.

Yea that link you posted asks me to log in so I guess it's not available to the public. If anybody knows of a public version of it please let me know.

Thanks

Guest SpacemanFry
To provide a little more info on this, you can only get to it if you are working on a machine in the .mil domain (doesn't require username/password in that case). I have looked around but haven't found it anywhere else.

On a side note, I have found that the approved aircrew medication list on the same site can't be accessed without a username/password, even from a .mil computer. Anyone know if there is anywhere else it can be found? If someone wants to send me a copy, that would be ok too :) Thanks.

I don't suppose it would be ok for somebody with access to provide a copy here ? Of course ONLY if that document is allowed to be in public view. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my FC1 a few hours ago and everything went great with one exception: My right eye was -1.75, which is .25 over the limit for pilots. I passed DP, I'm correctible to better than 20/20, near is perfect, etc. So I'll obviously need a waiver for my diopters (think that's the right term). Does flight medicine actually apply for the waiver for me or is this something I have to fill out? Do they send in separate paperwork for the waiver, or do they just send in my results and the people at Brooks automatically do the waiver for me? Could someone briefly go over the process for me? Thanks.

Yes, I did a search.

Guest P27:17

Hey man don't sweat it...it looks like you have a simple Excessive Refractive Error (ERE) DQ and this is easily waived as long as there is no Paul Harvey's "the rest of the story". The flight surgeon will put the waiver together and send it with the physical when it's ready to AETC. They'll stamp it as qualified with waiver for ERE pending successful completion of MFS...or something real close to that.

Good luck

Hey man don't sweat it...it looks like you have a simple Excessive Refractive Error (ERE) DQ and this is easily waived as long as there is no Paul Harvey's "the rest of the story". The flight surgeon will put the waiver together and send it with the physical when it's ready to AETC. They'll stamp it as qualified with waiver for ERE pending successful completion of MFS...or something real close to that.

Good luck

The flight surgeon at Sheppard (where I took the FC1) or Brooks will put together the waiver?

I guess I'm confused on the handling of the physical after it's completed by the applicant. Here's my understanding of the process, correct whatever is wrong:

1. Physical takes place

2. Physical gets signed off by flight medicine at FC1 base

3. Physical goes to Brooks and gets looked at and waivers are completed there

4. Completed physical is sent to AETC

Also, I didn't know waivers were pending until completetion of MFS after OTS.

The flight surgeon at Sheppard (where I took the FC1) or Brooks will put together the waiver?

I guess I'm confused on the handling of the physical after it's completed by the applicant. Here's my understanding of the process, correct whatever is wrong:

1. Physical takes place

There are 3 ways to get a physical (FC I) the 1st, Air Force Academy, is not a player in this discussion. The next 2 are:

- Getting a combined FC I and Medical Flight Screening (MFS) exam done at Brooks. This process (start til certification) is about 3 months. Once selected for UPT you can go with out another exam.

- The next is the way you are getting your exam: Go to a local base, have the FC I done, the base (hopefully) does everything it's supposed to do, sends the exam/waiver recommendation to HQ AETC/SGPA at Randolph AFB and they certify the physical. If they have everything they need to certify the physical they will put a stamp on the exam that basically says you are "qualified with waiver for ERE for IFC I/IA pending successful completion of MFS".

Your accession POC (AFPC, AFRC, or ANG) will schedule you for a UPT date. Prior to UPT they will also schedule you to go to Brooks for the MFS only. Once you get through MFS, you are cleared for UPT. This is the long way of doing it...it takes on average 6 -12 months just for the FC I certification and another 6-12 months for MFS. About 40% of the non-AFA FC I's are done this way. Most are now being done through Brooks.

Hope this sheds some light!

Thanks alot.

So the flight docs at Sheppard are the ones who fill out the waiver info. That's good to know I guess.

Also, I wish I could have done MFS at the same time to avoid the chance of me getting commissioned, then failing something at MFS. Is there any way I could do MFS before OTS to not only speed up the process but to eliminate the uncertainty of getting to UPT?

Edited by BADFNZ

Thanks alot.

So the flight docs at Sheppard are the ones who fill out the waiver info. That's good to know I guess.

Also, I wish I could have done MFS at the same time to avoid the chance of me getting commissioned, then failing something at MFS. Is there any way I could do MFS before OTS to not only speed up the process but to eliminate the uncertainty of getting to UPT?

I don't think so unless you get the whole thing at Brooks. You would need to contact the MFS accession POC at AFPC for active, ANG, or AFRC to find out all the rules.

• 1 year later...

Didn't know where to put this, but this thread sounds good.

Just came across this and haven't seen it posted here in a while, it's a 591 page document describing many waiverable medical conditions in detail; however it does not cover the most frequently asked questions (eyesight, height).

http://aviationmedicine.com/resources/file...Guide%20PDF.pdf

I had asthma symptoms when I was young and thought I was completely f'd, but found this file and found out it's waiverable. Went to Brooks, got drilled by the flight docs, stayed a few extra days, but ended up getting the waiver in the end. Should help some people.

Also covers mood disorders/suicide attempts.

• 4 months later...

I recently found out i need to pursue a waver before starting UPT in a couple months. I have heard and read so many different things I am confused out of my mind. The flight doc told me the other day my condition according to the Waiver Guide is "unwaiverable" but that doesnt count me out. He explained the guide is just a reference for flight docs alike and not an official regulation. My flight commander told me just yesterday that AETC hands out waivers to upt casual LTs all the time. My UPT date just got moved up and I am really in a rush to figure this stuff out.

Does anyone have an idea how long the process takes once all paperwork is submitted?

How often are "unwaiverable" conditions granted a waiver by AETC?

Does the fact that I have yet to start UPT factor into the big picture?

I have been to brooks and passed all FC1/MFS stuff, does that improve my chances of being granted a waiver?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Does anyone have an idea how long the process takes once all paperwork is submitted?

How often are "unwaiverable" conditions granted a waiver by AETC?

Does the fact that I have yet to start UPT factor into the big picture?

I have been to brooks and passed all FC1/MFS stuff, does that improve my chances of being granted a waiver?

It all depends on what your condition is.

The docs are usually sticklers about unwaiverable stuff. They have a ton of people willing to take your place so it is easiest/safest for them not to bother with you.

If your condition is waverable for a FCII then your chances are a lot better. You may need an exception to policy but those aren't uncommon.

It all depends on what your condition is.

The docs are usually sticklers about unwaiverable stuff. They have a ton of people willing to take your place so it is easiest/safest for them not to bother with you.

If your condition is waverable for a FCII then your chances are a lot better. You may need an exception to policy but those aren't uncommon.

It is waiverable for FCII and FCIII so I am still crossing my fingers. I dont really show any symptoms for the condition but I had a biopsy taken by chance and it showed i might have this condition. My UPT date just got moved up and I was wondering if this would push the waiver more than normal or if dropping back a few classes was probable?

Thanks for the help

Sweet. Sounds like your chances are pretty decent then.

Basically your flight doc will write up the waiver request and submit it to AETC through the computerized waiver system. They'll look at it and make a decision within a few weeks.

If they deny the waiver you'll need to submit an ETP request to the Vice Chief of Staff. That'll have to go up through your chain of command and will probably take several months. If you're casual at your UPT base they'll stick you in an office somewhere until the whole process is completed.

Guest acemom

Question: When you receive a waiver for a "vision problem" such as depth perception from Brooks(before UPT) is it standard to go back and re-test after you graduate from UPT? How long does a waiver typically last? Does it have an expiration date on it? Thanks in advance...

Guest goducks
Question: When you receive a waiver for a "vision problem" such as depth perception from Brooks(before UPT) is it standard to go back and re-test after you graduate from UPT? How long does a waiver typically last? Does it have an expiration date on it? Thanks in advance...

Waivers are granted for different periods of time depending on the condition and whether it is likely to change. Some are even indefinite.

I believe DP waivers are good for a couple of years. You will be retested locally and if you can achieve the level of DP you showed at your FCI exam, the waiver is renewed for another couple of years. You only go back to Brooks if your DP is getting worse.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the maximum number of waivers you can get (for a pilot)? I know I am going to need two (one for LASIK and one for a kidney stone), and possibly a third (for an extremely minor surgery just below the skin on my knee). Is there a point where they just say it's not worth the trouble? I meet all the criteria to get a waiver for each condition, so I'm not too concerned about that. I have no lasting effects from them other than better vision from LASIK, but no more kidney stones or abnormalities and no problems whatsoever with my knee.

Also, this has nothing really to do with waivers, but after reading a few of the previous posts I'm curious, what is the purpose of the 2nd and 3rd class medicals for pilots?

Edited by MikeI

Guest goducks
Does anyone know if there is a limit to the maximum number of waivers you can get (for a pilot)? I know I am going to need two (one for LASIK and one for a kidney stone), and possibly a third (for an extremely minor surgery just below the skin on my knee). Is there a point where they just say it's not worth the trouble? I meet all the criteria to get a waiver for each condition, so I'm not too concerned about that. I have no lasting effects from them other than better vision from LASIK, but no more kidney stones or abnormalities and no problems whatsoever with my knee.

Also, this has nothing really to do with waivers, but after reading a few of the previous posts I'm curious, what is the purpose of the 2nd and 3rd class medicals for pilots?

I have never seen a case where the number of waivers was an issue- and I've seen cases where folks have had a lot (way more than 2 or 3). Meeting the waiver criteria for each condition is all that matters.

I'm not sure exactly what you meant by your last question. Brooks will do an FAA medical exam (only class 1 as best I know) because they're already doing the tests, so it saves you having to get this re-accomplished at a later date. There have also been posts that have referenced FCII (Flying Class 2) and FCIII (Flying Class 3) which are AF terms for trained pilots (FCII) and other aircrew positions (FCIII). If you're applying for UPT, then FCI is what applies to you.

I have never seen a case where the number of waivers was an issue- and I've seen cases where folks have had a lot (way more than 2 or 3). Meeting the waiver criteria for each condition is all that matters.

I'm not sure exactly what you meant by your last question. Brooks will do an FAA medical exam (only class 1 as best I know) because they're already doing the tests, so it saves you having to get this re-accomplished at a later date. There have also been posts that have referenced FCII (Flying Class 2) and FCIII (Flying Class 3) which are AF terms for trained pilots (FCII) and other aircrew positions (FCIII). If you're applying for UPT, then FCI is what applies to you.

Thanks, that takes a load off my chest.

You answered my last question there too. I thought I had heard somewhere that the FCII was for pilots that were already trained and the kidney stone waiver requirements for FCII are different than for FCI, so I was just curious how it all worked.

Thanks again goducks, you've been darn helpful through this whole process. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

1. Physical takes place

I'm hoping for an update here on the waiver process for PRK since this is a bit outdated and I can't find it anywhere else. Quick background - ANG UPT selection going to Brooks in August and hopefully AMS in Oct...its gonna be a tight squeeze. I had PRK July 08 and have a waiver for FCIII (currently loadmaster). When I do MFS at Brooks, do I bring all of my pre and post op paperwork for the eye docs to submit my waiver request at Brooks? Or does my flight doc from my home unit submit this paperwork for me? If they do, can they submit after my 1 yr post op but prior to attending Brooks? Typically how long does it take for the FCI and waiver to be approved? I doubt I can get it all approved prior to Oct 6th AMS but I'm trying. Thanks so much for all the advice/help in this journey of mine.

Guest goducks
I'm hoping for an update here on the waiver process for PRK since this is a bit outdated and I can't find it anywhere else. Quick background - ANG UPT selection going to Brooks in August and hopefully AMS in Oct...its gonna be a tight squeeze. I had PRK July 08 and have a waiver for FCIII (currently loadmaster). When I do MFS at Brooks, do I bring all of my pre and post op paperwork for the eye docs to submit my waiver request at Brooks? Or does my flight doc from my home unit submit this paperwork for me? If they do, can they submit after my 1 yr post op but prior to attending Brooks? Typically how long does it take for the FCI and waiver to be approved? I doubt I can get it all approved prior to Oct 6th AMS but I'm trying. Thanks so much for all the advice/help in this journey of mine.

There is a PRK checklist that needs to be submitted prior to processing through Brooks; see this link:

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/group...name=CTB_071794

Your FCI/MFS PRK waiver will be submitted on your behalf by the folks at Brooks. If you also need to renew your FCIII waiver in the meantime, that (I believe) needs to be handled by the local FSO. The two waivers really have nothing to do with each other and your FCIII waiver can be submitted at any time before or after the visit to Brooks.

It's my understanding that it takes about 6-8 weeks to have an application reviewed by AETC so there's a chance everything can be done by Oct if you get to Brooks as soon as you're allowed (you must be one year or more post surgery).

Hope this helps.

GD

Edited by goducks

There is a PRK checklist that needs to be submitted prior to processing through Brooks; see this link:

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/group...name=CTB_071794

Your FCI/MFS PRK waiver will be submitted on your behalf by the folks at Brooks. If you also need to renew your FCIII waiver in the meantime, that (I believe) needs to be handled by the local FSO. The two waivers really have nothing to do with each other and your FCIII waiver can be submitted at any time before or after the visit to Brooks.

It's my understanding that it takes about 6-8 weeks to have an application reviewed by AETC so there's a chance everything can be done by Oct if you get to Brooks as soon as you're allowed (you must be one year or more post surgery).

Hope this helps.

GD

Great info...I haven't seen that website yet. Thanks so much for all the help on this subject. I'm pushing to get everything through in time! :beer:

• 10 years later...
5 hours ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

REVIVAL. I'm a guard applicant. I have a history of childhood asthma and wanted to know the best process for waiver submittal for MEPS and FC1. Can I ask to submit a waiver before MEPS so I don't have to wait for the appointment, get DQ'd and then do the whole process? Basically is there a way to go about this as efficient as possible as to avoid delays?

First off, disclaimer.  I'm not a pulmonologist.  But, I know a little about AF policy.  If you had documented asthma after age 12 or 13, I don't believe it's waiverable.  Before that age, you're likely going to have to pass either a PFT or MCT or both.  I don't know the MEPS process, but for FC I, they are going to want the breathing tests done at Wright-Patt.  I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but maybe it helps a little?