Sinus questions

Guest bear

My post suggestion will differ greatly from the other content on this forum, because of my position, experience, and motive. I serve my country in ways molded by my experiences, and from witnessing when things go bad. I normally wouldn't post from the document below, but I know this information could save a number of applicants and career flyers, however I cannot advocate subterfuge or dishonesty. I hope you recognize the logic in why I am sharing and recommending the following.

From the approved OTC med list for aircrew, current as of Jan 2014:

Saline, nasal [...] DNIF is not required for occasional OTC use to provide relief from nasal mucosa dryness due to self-limiting conditions. Not for chronic use without approval of the Flight Surgeon.

This list updates very infrequently, and I would expect this policy on this specific condition and medication won't change for several years. You must tell your Flight Surgeon ALL medications/treatments you use, which would include this. DO NOT hide information from your Flight Surgeon/PCM. If your condition advances to requiring regular use for symptom management, or if it is itself a side-effect/symptom of another medical condition, you must also disclose that.

All that said, this is probably your only option for OTC nasal/ENT/Allergy treatment that could allow you to totally avoid a waiver if you are controlled with occasional use.

If you aren't successful with that limited use, there are other medications you could potentially use but would probably require a waiver. Those medications for which a waiver is probable/likely include Fexofenadine/Allegra, Loratadine/Claritin, and a number of others.

YOU WILL NEED EVALUATION AND A PRESCRIPTION FROM YOUR FLIGHT SURGEON TO USE THESE MEDICATIONS WHILE ON FLYING STATUS. DO NOT TAKE ANY ACTION OR CHANGE YOUR TREATMENT WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER.

I see and understand your logic Deaddebate. I searched through the threads and found some information on ready, but want to some clarification. You can have some occasional seasonal allergies when being selected for a pilot slot or you can "magically" get them after you receive your wings?

That's again in line with what I wrote about the medication.

E11 - A verified history of allergic, nonallergic, or vasomotor rhinitis, after age 12, unless symptoms are mild and can be controlled by a single approved medication.

[...]

E17 - Chronic or recurrent sinusitis and/or surgery to treat chronic sinusitis

The regulation is slightly open to individual FS interpretation, but if you qual for the saline Rx criteria, you would qual with Med standard.

• 2 years later...

HELP PLEASE!!!  KOREAN WAR ERA AVIATORS!  Need an expert on cabin pressures and noise levels for this era of jet planes.  What were the pressure systems?  What were the noise levels?  My father was a fighter jet pilot in the Air Force during the Korean War.  On his entry exam it showed a "Sear, left tympanic membrane" or in laymen's terms "an ear problem", and a scar from breaking his nose, but was still cleared to fly.  He was giving 10% disability status after his service, but unsuccessfully fought for addition help.  After being denied in 1957, he tried to reopen it in 1987, but had his papers messed up and lost in the system, eventually dying in 1996.  My mother has a review of the disability claim this Friday and I'm trying to help her.  He received a number of injections in his ear drums while in service and was continually put back in the air, and claimed to have had his sinuses seize up well flying at high altitude - experiencing headaches and severe nose bleeds that eventually led to his diminished health and death.  Anyone heard of similar cases / experiences or with info on these planes would be of great assistance.  Thank You!