Shoulder issues

Guest machspeed22

Guest awfltdoc
Thanks awfltdoc,

I will continue to review my options. Within the last three months or so since the injury started, I have drastically halted my physical efforts, in an attempt for some sort of positive feedback, but nothing! Still hurts as the day it occurred. I would like your opinion on whether or not to tell these units I will be apply with. Is this something that can, or would eliminate me from selections?

Thanks again,

MIkeD

I can only say that this is likely fixable and shouldn't keep you from flying provided it is fixed. If there is little delay in getting this taken care of you might be back to flying by november but I don't know for sure. That is definately something to ask the orthopedic surgeon.

I don't know if you'd be eliminated for having this during your application and I think you should talk to the orthopedist before making the decision to talk to the units your applied to. Let the orthopedist know your situation and I bet you'll get a better opinion based on more experience.

Thanks again,

For clarity, I have to apologize for using the term "snap lesion" when in fact it was a "slap lesion". I spoke with my care manager today, and scheduled the surgery. She stated that she would consult with a flight doctor as to any consequences, or timing issues. I guess I'm at the mercy of the orthopedic surgeon.

MikeD

Guest awfltdoc
Thanks again,

For clarity, I have to apologize for using the term "snap lesion" when in fact it was a "slap lesion". I spoke with my care manager today, and scheduled the surgery. She stated that she would consult with a flight doctor as to any consequences, or timing issues. I guess I'm at the mercy of the orthopedic surgeon.

MikeD

If you have a SLAP lesion and its a bonifide tear, then your chances for recovery without surgery are small. Post surgical recovery to full up no restrictions with the ability for full weight loading on the shoulder is probably gonna take six months or so. That doesn't mean you can go back to flying before six months. It just means no bench presses with full weight. Once your well enough to be able to fly safely and you have the ability to safely egress then I think you could be allowed back to flying. I would guess six to eight weeks.

• 3 months later...

When I'm lifting weights I notice that my form and strength on the left side is terribly lacking as compared to my right. Yes, I understand that people are naturally dominant on one side of their body and naturally stronger there, but this is a bit drastic. Further, when doing shoulder exercises specifically, I get an unnatural twinge in the left shoulder. It affects other exercises as well, but not nearly as much. So I wonder if I injured the ligaments/tendons in there or something.

Question is, is this something I go to flight medicine for? Is this something I can get a doc to send me to physical therapy for?

:salut: <- still backwards

Guest MizzNav

I used to have the same thing, it was very pronounced suring the shoulder press-type exercises. I just stopped working out for a month or so and now my shoulder is back to normal. Before you go to the doctor, maybe try giving your shoulder some rest like i did?

• 9 months later...
Guest JayPull85

I tore my labrum playing lacrosse. I had to get surgery. My shoulder is excpected to be 100% again. Will I need a waiver or will this effect me in any way?

I tore my labrum playing lacrosse. I had to get surgery. My shoulder is excpected to be 100% again. Will I need a waiver or will this effect me in any way?

As long as you are fully healed without restrictions, have full strength and range of motion you should be fine without needing a waiver.

• 2 years later...
Guest jrock2468

I got picked up for a Guard pilot training slot, and throughout the interview process was completely honest that I broke my arm in high school (~10 years ago). I didn't require surgery but after partially dislocating the shoulder while skydiving I had surgery for a labral tear. Since the surgery (~3 years ago) I have had no problems. I forwarded all of the operating Doctor's documentation stating that I healed up 100% with full ROM and no restrictions.

After the unit forwarded all of my enlistment documents to their medical section to schedule a MEPS physical, I just got a letter today from the unit's Medical section that I have been found:

"... medically disqualified for entry into the Armed Forces" because of "... a History of an Right Shoulder Anterial Labral Tear (repaired) and a History of Right Chondromalacia of the Glenoumeral Joint. A medical waiver is not recommended for consideration to your Service Medical Waiver Authority."

Where do I take this now? I have been actively using my shoulder with no problems (competing in the Crossfit Games and olympic lifting). Should I talk to my enlisted recruiter, my officer POC, or the medical group? I am confident that if I can meet with someone in person I can demonstrate whatever needs demonstration to show a healthy shoulder.

Thanks for any insight.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I dislocated my elbow in Apr. I still go to physical therapy twice a week and I'm on a profile, but this does not preclude me from flying. I'm still able to perform my duties just fine in flight an egress the aircraft. Go talk to them and get the ball rolling with PT. Hopefully PT will preclude surgery.

Edited by stract

• 6 years later...

I am in currently in UPT, or was, rather. I am currently on med-hold. I was originally diagnosed with Shoulder Impingement Syndrome because I had significant loss of ROM in my right arm. Several months of pretty  intense PT and two injections failed to yield adequate restoration of ROM. An Army surgeon later diagnosed the cause of my SIS due to "Adhesive Capsulitus" or what's more commonly known as Frozen Shoulder.  I was referred for and received surgery 1 Feb. Post surgical findings indicated significant scar tissue build up and bone spurs (for some reason the bone spurs were never reported on my MRI). All of that was stuff was removed. I'm five weeks out of surgery and my pain levels and ROM have improved noticeably but are not yet satisfactory to the PT or Surgeon (or me, for that matter), but I still have two months of PT. And the docs are already considering the possibility of sending me back to the table for a second Manipulation under Anesthesia (MUA) if my ROM doesn't continue to progress as required (no cutting/scoping this time, just manipulation). They're suspecting a slight relapse whereby the capsule is tightening again, just not nearly as much. They said this isn't unheard of, but my surgeon specifically told me yesterday to be prepared for the possibility of some permanent loss of ROM.

My flight doc said full ROM is a requirement for aircrew, and if I don't regain full ROM, there is a high likelihood I will not be able to return to the flight line. He made clear I wouldn't be separated, but would most likely face reclassification. Does that check? If I do end up with minimal loss of ROM but can make the case that it is sufficient to perform my duties safely, do you all think AETC might entertain a waiver/ETP? I am just trying to maintain realistic expectations about my career because I've gotten a lot varied feedback from all the parties involved thus far. I really appreciate the insight. Thank you.  

• 1 month later...

I’m currently 16 and in a pretty sticky situation. I tore both shoulders from lifting and had surgery on one. Both are healing fine. Haven’t had any issues and doc said I can continue to workout. Will the shoulders affect me even though I can function normally? And will this lower my chances of flying fighters? 

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! I’m currently on Med Hold in UPT. Back in 2016 I dislocated my shoulder snowboarding and ended up getting a Bankart surgery done on it. I went through physical therapy and got ROM and strength back. This past April, after completing a flight, my shoulder subluxed as I was attempting to open the canopy. Since I was strapped in, it took a while for the EMTs to arrive and get me out of the airplane. I ended up needing to go to the hospital to get the shoulder put back in place. After this incident, I went through a one month physical therapy program to re strengthen the shoulder and it seems to have worked. As part of the waiver process, I demonstrated that I was able to egress out the T-6, T-38, and T-1 aircraft without instability or pain. This past Friday, however, my flight doc informed me that my waiver got denied and am now disqualified for FC1. I would like to know if there is some sort of appeal process that exists that maybe I’m not aware of. In addition, I have put forward that I am willing to go through as many surgeries/PT as required. I’ve worked my whole life to get here and I’m not going to let this go without a fight. I really would like some pointers as to how to proceed from here. Thank you so much for your time.