Weight/body fat issues (under/over)

Guest EZ206PILOT

Active duty no one cares. If you pass the PT test (which includes waist) and don't look like a sclub to your commander you never get weighed. Coming onto active duty..... Don't know what to tell you, we had to make the weight standard when we graduated, I remember many football players utterly starving themselves to make it. There wasn't a body fat option, we had to make weight. That was before the AF changed it's standards for active duty though

Tertle

The DoD has weight standards, and the USAF has them for accessions, which affects you. Applicants to join the Air Force who exceed weight requirements (max of 191 lbs for someone 5' 10") are measured for body-fat. Procedures to measure body fat can be found in DoD Instruction 1308.3, DoD Physical Fitness and Body Fat Programs Procedures.

Based on the BMI equation given in that instruction (BMI=704.5 x wt/ht2 (where wt is in lbs and ht in inches)), at 215 lbs your BMI is over 30. You need a BMI at or below 27.5, which for your height is 197 pounds.

That could be a show-stopper. Talk with your Det about it, and good luck!

Cheers! M2

Guest illini52

There was a guy at my det who was big into bodybuilding. Big dude, could probably lift a VW or something like that. He always ended up being OK after being taped or whatever it is they do when you are over the limit. I'd talk to the cadre about the situation. If they know that you are working out like you do, they'll know (or should know) the various courses of action to take.

Guest Jimmy

Another reason I'm so glad I ran/run XC. I'll get a waist measurement of 30 inches after a big lunch.

Seriously though, I know a recently commissioned SF Lt. who was 10 or so lbs over the weight limit, but he was all muscle too, and it wasn't a problem. Like mentioned, your cadre should be able to help you. It would be utterly retarded if you had to go catabolic for some stupid reg if you're obviously in shape. Good luck bro.

Guest Tertle

The problems is that I just have a big waist. I don't have love handles and have barely any fat on the front. My abs are clearly visible so I am NOT fat. It just seems stupid that someone in shape can be punished or given the boot for being large. Oh well, I know I'm fine for now.

Thanks all.

Guest P27:17
The problems is that I just have a big waist. I don't have love handles and have barely any fat on the front. My abs are clearly visible so I am NOT fat. It just seems stupid that someone in shape can be punished or given the boot for being large. Oh well, I know I'm fine for now.

Thanks all.

There are several facets to the weight issue. For accession you must meet the weight standards according to height in AFI 48-123. You can obtain a waiver if your BFM is in the acceptable range. For FC 1 you can not exceed 240 lbs (with your life support gear).

Where you run into trouble once on active duty is when you waist begins to expand. It is a weighted factor in your PT test. Once you get to 36 inches or more (depending on your height) it can significantly go against your PT score...especially if you are weak in another area.

• 7 months later...

I'm getting ready to start UPT here very soon, and I know I'm close to the limit. Do they just go on the whole AF standard (i.e. passing the PFT with a score above 75), or do you have to weigh/tape in to accession standards? The AFI quotes the old weight standards AFI, so it's not a whole lot of help.

If I'm over when I start Phase 1, will I be able to start, or do I run into trouble now?

Guest P27:17
I'm getting ready to start UPT here very soon, and I know I'm close to the limit. Do they just go on the whole AF standard (i.e. passing the PFT with a score above 75), or do you have to weigh/tape in to accession standards? The AFI quotes the old weight standards AFI, so it's not a whole lot of help.

If I'm over when I start Phase 1, will I be able to start, or do I run into trouble now?

The problem you have is very similar to the height waivers...it's a "line" issue that is pawed of to the medical side.

Your unit is responsible for taping and tracking your weight IAW with AF Commission standards. During your FC I, they only make sure you are not above or below the ejection seat standards.

The AFI does list the minimum and maximum weigt according to your height. BFM and BMIs are done at the unit level.

The problem you have is very similar to the height waivers...it's a "line" issue that is pawed of to the medical side.

Your unit is responsible for taping and tracking your weight IAW with AF Commission standards. During your FC I, they only make sure you are not above or below the ejection seat standards.

The AFI does list the minimum and maximum weigt according to your height. BFM and BMIs are done at the unit level.

I answered my own question. On AD, meet AD standards, so I just have to do the PFT and the body circumference that goes with it. And I'm good on the practice PFT I took this week, let alone the weeks I have to get ready.

• 5 months later...
Guest bravodelta79

I'm headed to Brooks in 11 days and need to lose about eight pounds before then. I already got underweight once for MEPS by competing in a sprint triathlon the day before and just lost a lot of water weight I didn't replenish. I am 5'9" and currently at 194#. I need to be at 186# to make weight. I run 4-8 miles or bike for an hour at 20mph avg and lift 3-4 times per week.

I hate the "weight = healthy" standards. At MEPS I got taped and it came out at 22% and I needed to be 20...I weighed in 2 pounds over and had to come back two weeks later just to be reweighed.

I know part of the problem is that I've lost over 50# in the past couple years and the only stuff left is around my stomach. Time for some more rabbit food...

• 2 months later...
I'm headed to Brooks in 11 days and need to lose about eight pounds before then. I already got underweight once for MEPS by competing in a sprint triathlon the day before and just lost a lot of water weight I didn't replenish. I am 5'9" and currently at 194#. I need to be at 186# to make weight. I run 4-8 miles or bike for an hour at 20mph avg and lift 3-4 times per week.

I hate the "weight = healthy" standards. At MEPS I got taped and it came out at 22% and I needed to be 20...I weighed in 2 pounds over and had to come back two weeks later just to be reweighed.

I know part of the problem is that I've lost over 50# in the past couple years and the only stuff left is around my stomach. Time for some more rabbit food...

I know that people have been talking a lot about how bad "fad" diets are, but for the short term, you could try some of those things. Taking out carbs for a week won't kill or hurt you at all, but I recommend something different. I don't want to sound like a spammer, but I always was on the losing end of the weight issue back in college, but I could still PT better than 3/4 of the people there. It was maddening, but my commander (also a fatty, and had triple bypass surgery a year after I commissioned) almost did not let me commission because of it. I joined up with weight watchers over a year ago, and have lost 40lbs in a healthy, slow way. If you are not in shape, you will not do as well in UPT, and that could effect your chances of getting your favorite airframe, or even graduating. I hope this helped.

• 1 month later...
Guest BodyBuilder01

Haha, I'm 6'0" and weigh 220. The flight doc just freaked out when she saw what I weigh. Haha. Thanks to the link above I'll be able to go straighten it out. I have almost no body fat. I'm going for 240 lbs. Like Arnold!

I fly on the Herc so no worries about ejecton seats.

From the above link that M2 posted, go to E1.1.9 if you're a bodybuilder.

It basically says we should be proud to have big Swarzenneger looking dudes in the AF.

A body fat assessment can be used if you don't meet the height weight requirements.

I'm gonna tell them to put a copy of the regs in my record so they quit having a fit.

Keep pumping iron!

• 2 months later...

After reading through the AFI 10-248 that M2 posted (thanks Sir!), is it true that there is no maximum allowable weight for AD Air Force members? I see that accessions have weight standards, but the closest thing I could find in 10-248 is that the member must present a professional appearance in uniform (based on the Unit Commander).

Thanks for the help.

After reading through the AFI 10-248 that M2 posted (thanks Sir!), is it true that there is no maximum allowable weight for AD Air Force members? I see that accessions have weight standards, but the closest thing I could find in 10-248 is that the member must present a professional appearance in uniform (based on the Unit Commander).

Thanks for the help.

Look on page 89 of version 2 of the AFI 10-248, and it says that AD members are not held to the height/weight requirements that accessions are. The problem comes when you get to Brooks and have a doctor tell you that your BMI is high. This is not a real problem for the AD folks, but could be depending on how the Air Staff views it. I just got finished with Brooks, and this was my only issue, and they were still not sure about the requirement. The AFI also says that AD members will only be evaluated on their PT score, and if their waist is above 40inches. If you've been in the USAF for a while, you will see that some AFIs are followed and others were not. When I mentioned the paragraph on page 89, the flight doc told me that i could stand to lose some weight, but that I looked good in uniform, and that I could PT well. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are an accession.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest WillysJK

Looking for some good advice from you guys:

I'm well over the whole height/weight requirement thing for OTS- lifting is a big part of my workout routine (5'6, 200, ~10-15%bf). I'm a little worried about the taping (my only option) because it is so subjective... I have been doing P90X (and KEEPING UP- Thanks Tony) to cut even more, and am laying back (even more) on the carbs, but I would really hate to get sent home (my class date starts 9June09) because the taper is having a bad day...

My question is this;

At my base we have a high tech body fat analyzer at the HAWC (surely more accurate then the tape method)- do you think a signed MFR from our HAWC Director would give me some CYA? Would it even matter?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

• 4 years later...

Can you pass FC1 if your within body fat and weight requirement but don't have a 39in waist? and can you be recommended for discharge?

I don't ever remember getting my waist measured at my initial FC1. They do weight you and take different heights.