Eye issues (lazy, surgery, dialation)

Guest Windchill

Guest P27:17
Does anyone here know if esosphoria can be waivered for a Navigator select on a FC1A? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, our nerves are getting the best of us.

How much esophoria do you have?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joeallred22
How much esophoria do you have?

Actually its my wife, but the tech said it wasn't bad at all. They have submitted a waiver with her FC1A to AETC/SG and we were just concerned about the chances of it getting approved. I have read a few threads on other forums and a current nav got waived for exsophoria.

Guest P27:17
Actually its my wife, but the tech said it wasn't bad at all. They have submitted a waiver with her FC1A to AETC/SG and we were just concerned about the chances of it getting approved. I have read a few threads on other forums and a current nav got waived for exsophoria.

Here is the AFI info:

A4.9. Heterophoria and Heterotropia.

A4.9.1. Flying Class III, except Inflight Refuelers.

A4.9.1.1. Esophoria greater than 15 prism diopters.

A4.9.1.2. Exophoria greater than 8 prism diopters.

A4.9.1.3. Hyperphoria greater than 2 prism diopters.

A4.9.1.4. Heterotropia greater than 15 prism diopters, at near or distance.

AFI48-123V3 5 JUNE 2006 45

A4.9.2. Flying Class I, IA, II, II-Flight Surgeons, Inflight Refuelers and any other individualsrequired to perform scanner duties. If any of these are exceeded, then paragraph A4.12.2.1. applies.

NOTE: For the purposes of this AFI, scanner duties are defined by the requirement to assist with safety

clearance checks of their aircraft from outside obstacles.

A4.9.2.1. Esophoria greater than 10 prism diopters, at near or distance.

A4.9.2.2. Exophoria greater than 6 prism diopters, at near or distance.

A4.9.2.3. Hyperphoria greater than 1.5 prism diopters, at near or distance.

A4.9.2.4. Heterotropia, including microtropias, at near or distance.

A4.9.2.5. Point of convergence (PC) greater than 100mm.

• 1 year later...
Guest Windchill
I was dq'd for this same thing - like flight doc said, the dq doesn't say "lazy eye" - it says no depth perception and double vision - because with the red and green glasses I see 2, don't have double vision otherwise. So, if you pass the depth perception test and don't fail the red lense test, I wouldn't bring up that your civi doc said you had lazy eye.

I understand that the Navy and perhaps the Air Force are currently doing some study on rated pilots whose binocular depth perception has deteriorated to see how much it affects flight performance. I read a report from the Navy that they thought a pilot could still do his job without full binocular depth perception.

For guys with lazy eye, it's even less of an issue, because, if you never had it, you develop depth perception using other cues. I have never had any problem judging distances - I played baseball in school, can parallel park, thread a needle, operate heavy equipment, and do all the stuff they say you can't do without depth perception.

But the rules are the rules, and I'm out.

Is anyone aware if the study was conducted and any findings by the USAF and changes brought about? I have a "lazy eye," or technically "Superior Oblique Palsy." Aside from that, my vision is great. When my eyes look left and down a little bit, I can notice the lack of alignment, but turning my head slightly to the left isn't asking a whole lot :p

Guest goducks
Is anyone aware if the study was conducted and any findings by the USAF and changes brought about? I have a "lazy eye," or technically "Superior Oblique Palsy." Aside from that, my vision is great. When my eyes look left and down a little bit, I can notice the lack of alignment, but turning my head slightly to the left isn't asking a whole lot :p

Windchill,

The AF continually reviews UPT and flight performance to make changes to medical standards. Several years back, stereopsis standards (technically that's what is being tested, not depth perception) were relaxed and people with less than normal stereopsis are now eligible for a waiver. This group of folks are now part of the "defective stereopsis / monofixation syndrome study group" and, based on findings from their performance, it's possible that the standards might be changed further. Time will tell.

Your situation is a bit different, however. I'm guessing you would/have fail(ed) the red lens test which detects ocular misalignment in different directions of gaze. Your straight-ahead alignment (and thus stereopsis) might be right on, but due to the muscle palsy there are directions where the eyes don't line up and you lose binocular vision and stereopsis. Depending on your level of adaptation, you might also note diplopia (double vision) when this happens. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to the AF for several reasons. 1) Flying certain aircraft requires you to have normal visual function in extreme gazes, 2) Your ability to control your condition will decrease with age, fatigue and hypoxia. If that happens, the head tilt may not be an effective compensation.

GD