Questions on cyst/cysts

Guest Sven

Does a Cyst on my head make me ineligible to apply/being selected to UPT?? If not, does having it removed have any type of consequences on my chances of being selected??

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest mjdomer

Apparently this has not been discussed before as my search turned up no info...

I am currently waiting on a class date for OTS. I took my FC1 back in June and barring some unforseen issue, expect to have it (finally) approved in a couple weeks. I also recently found out I have a very small, very minor pilonidal cyst (basically an ingrown hair at the top of your butt crack that gets infected). There is no pain involved, no swelling, the last time I had an issue with it was 8 years ago, and that was minor as well. Doc put me on some antibiotics and everything cleared right up, though I still do have a very small hole (about the size of a pen tip) leading into the cyst.

Number one question--does this disqualify me from my flight slot?

Number two--if I get surgery to have it removed, will that make things all good in the eyes of Air Force Health?

Number three--since it's so minor and I rarely (8 years) have a problem with it, should I even mention it?

Any help would be appreciated.

OK...before you get slammed with a bunch of "pain in the ass" comments...here's the AFI stuff:

A4.21.9. Pilonidal cyst, if there is a history of inflammation or discharging sinus in the 2 years preceding

examination. Surgery for pilonidal cyst or sinus is disqualifying until the wound is healed,

there are no referable symptoms, and no further treatment or medication is required.

So if you've been asymptomatic for 8 years I wouldn't worry too much about it. Otherwise have a doc look at it and see what he thinks.

Guest EMKFlyer

Hello, I’m currently a pilot in the Air Force and a C-17 pilot by trade. A few months ago I was diagnosed with an asymptomatic arachnoid cyst in the posterior fosia with slight midline shift of the right cerebellum. Again, I have no symptoms so an ACS package was sent to Brooks AFB but they kicked it back for "More Info". I was obviously DNIF'd and would love to get back in the air.

Has anyone out there had anything like this before? or Is there a Flight Surgeon out there who may share some insight on past similar cases and outcomes?

Thanks for any help

Guest doctidy

You should be able to get some info from your local flight doc doing a search in the AIMWTS database. If I get some time next week I'll run a querry as well. Too infrequent of a dx for me to know of the top of my cranium.

Guest F16PilotMD

My advice would be to have it formally removed...i.e. operated on...now. This can be a big problem if it gets infected again. Then, dealing with it takes a long time. It is much easier to "fix" when it is calm. If this comes back during UPT you're looking at several weeks off...potentially. You need to see a surgeon and let them remove it. PM me if you want more info or have any other question.

[ 06. December 2006, 09:15: Message edited by: F16PilotMD ]

• 3 weeks later...

I am a 0603 Nav Select and I had my flight physical done in June. I didn't have a current PAP so I was told to get one and send it in. I have never had an abnormal, but of course the one that mattered came back abnormal. I was told to wait 6 months and have the test redone. I know that one cause of an abnormal pap could be a leaking ovarian cyst. Yesterday my left ovary started hurting severely for about 30 min to an hour and I am thinking that may have been a cyst bursting. I plan on going to the doctor after the New Year. If they find that it is or was a cyst, will that permanently DQ me from the Air Force? Should I hold off on going to the doc since I'm no longer in pain and see if it goes away on its own? I know that "symptomatic ovarian cysts" are disqualifying, but does that mean permanently or just until they go away? If this is a cyst it would be the first one I have ever had. Any information would be helpful. Thanks so much.

Guest F16PilotMD

Permanently DQ? NO. Just while symptomatic. I suppose there are those who have chronic symptoms, etc and would then be "permanently" DQ. Doubt there is much of that.

If your symptoms are gone, they are probably...gone. Lots O' things can cause this pain...

48-123:

A4.23.1.5. Symptomatic ovarian cysts.

• 11 months later...
Guest LakenheathSpouse

A few years ago I thought I might have testicular cancer so I had my Doctor check it out. He said it was a cyst on my testicle and it was not a big deal. Nothing has changed and there has never been any soreness or swelling.

Also, he told me I had varicocele, which he called a "bag of worms", pretty gross. He said it was common and not a big deal.

Will either one of these DQ me from UPT?

I can't say for sure, but I would definitely advice you to get your junk fixed now.

He said it was a cyst on my testicle and it was not a big deal. Nothing has changed and there has never been any soreness or swelling.

Maybe it's just me, but if I had a cyst (or anything else abnormal) on my sack, I'd be spring loaded to getting it removed.

Also, he told me I had varicocele, which he called a "bag of worms", pretty gross. He said it was common and not a big deal.

I don't if he explained variocele to you other than to call it a "bag of woms," but it's basically a blockage of the veins within the scrotum. While this shouldn't affect your flying status at all, it could affect your chance of having kids. Fixing it is an out-patient procedure, but it will DNIF you for period of weeks to months. If you're thinking of having kids while you're on flying status, I would recommend getting a fertility test and if it comes back not looking good, I would consider having surgery on the variocele. There's no guarantee, but it's a shot.

Guest F16PilotMD

Take any testicular mass/cyst seriously. I would want to be checked out again within a year to make sure of no changes in the cyst. Usually, the follow up is sooner than that.

Vericocele shouldn't cause you any flying issues to my knowledge (I'll look it up again to be sure) but you may get uncomfortable if the veins enlarge anymore. Not a big deal to fix. Not a show stopper.

• 1 month later...
A few years ago I thought I might have testicular cancer so I had my Doctor check it out. He said it was a cyst on my testicle and it was not a big deal. Nothing has changed and there has never been any soreness or swelling.

Will either one of these DQ me from UPT?

While I'm already on status, I talked to the doc and was told I have a spermatocele (sp?). It was felt up by two docs and scanned for good measure, but net result was no action and no change in flight status.

But I also remember the days when doing the entry flight physicals and if they didn't ask, I didn't tell. If your doc says its no big deal, then leave it at that with regards to the AF. But I do suggest a second opinion. I learned that nut cancer is prevalent amoung the young; past 35 and you're mostly out of the woods.

• 3 years later...

Hello, I have a small cyst/tumor on my spine. I have had it for as long as I can remember. I have read the waiver guide, but it didn't answer my questions completely. Does anyone know what the chances are of my passing a class 1 at meps, or getting a waiver for it?

• 6 months later...

I have a cebaceous cyst on my knee that needs to come out, and soon rather than waiting for it to get infected again.

I was selected by a Guard unit a few months ago, and have my commissioning physical in September, with a flight physical expected sometime around January. Any wisdom on when/how I should play this out timewise with my upcoming physicals?

OK...before you get slammed with a bunch of "pain in the ass" comments...here's the AFI stuff:

A4.21.9. Pilonidal cyst, if there is a history of inflammation or discharging sinus in the 2 years preceding

examination. Surgery for pilonidal cyst or sinus is disqualifying until the wound is healed,

there are no referable symptoms, and no further treatment or medication is required.

Any know what reg he is quoting, so that I can have a gander myself?

I have a cebaceous cyst on my knee that needs to come out, and soon rather than waiting for it to get infected again.

I was selected by a Guard unit a few months ago, and have my commissioning physical in September, with a flight physical expected sometime around January. Any wisdom on when/how I should play this out timewise with my upcoming physicals?

Any know what reg he is quoting, so that I can have a gander myself?

An old version of AFI 48-123.

See my signature for links to the newest version.

Here's the most recent excerpt, which is identical:

6.44.20.9. Pilonidal cyst, if there is a history of inflammation or discharging sinus in the 2 years preceding examination. Surgery for pilonidal cyst or sinus is disqualifying until the wound is healed, there are no referable symptoms, and no further treatment or medication is required.

Sebaceous cysts are nothing to worry about. they're not in the Regulation when I looked. Just get it removed, say you got it removed, and move on. They're fairly common and very different from Pilondial cysts.