Brooks administrative info

Guest Thriller

Guest RaptorKeeper

This may not be of much help, but I'll try... I was at Brooks last month being seen by the Aeromed Consult Service for a waiver to my flying class I, and UOD for that was BDU's or Flight Suits... It said that on my orders. I also saw guys that were there doing their MFS screening before UPT, and they were in Bags also... So, If I was a betting man, I'm thinking that you should pack your flightsuit, and leave the blues where they belong, hanging up in the closet with that little plastic bag covering. I haven't touched mine almost a year.

Good luck

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cb03t

I went to Brooks as a cadet in AFROTC, we were instructed to wear PTs. If it is your FC1, I would think that the flight suit/BDUs would be a pain, as you have your blood tests, blood pressure, urinalysis, cardiogram, and other tests that require access to parts covered by the flight suit. PTs just seem easier because it's shorts and a tee shirt. Things might be different for a commissioned LT, but I doubt it. Hope that helped.

• 1 month later...
Guest downinthegroove

Excuse my ignorance, I have searched long and hard but to no avail. What is the difference between one arriving with their F1C and others who do not at Brooks as far as expectations (i.e. another F1C)? Also, I took my F1C over a year ago, will that impact anything that occurs? I appreciate the help and input.

The Brooks trip now includes FC1 and MFS. Whereas previously you would get your FC1 done at a local base and come to brooks for your medical flight screening (MFS) I'm pretty sure you'll have to go to Brooks and get the MFS portion taken care of. Good luck

Guest P27:17

Good morning,

Brooks accomplishes the IFC 1/MFS combination exams for all AFROTC and AFRC selectees (minus some "dogs and cats"). The combined exams are done on Mondays.

All MFS (only) exams are done on Weds. If you have orders saying report to Brooks on Tues., and a certified IFC 1 exam (AETC/SGPA) then you are going to go through the MFS process only (Weds AM, 0700 is the exam). Please check out this website for more information...hope this helps. http://www.brooks.af.mil/web/fec/master.html?

Good luck.

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd give all those Brooks-bound (AD/ANG/Reserve) folks a heads up about what they are about to go through. I just returned from a fun filled trip to San Antonio myself, so here goes...

Start by going to this website: http://www.brookscitybase.brooks.af.mil/we...hance/index.htm. From there click "Aeromedical Consultation Service" then "Medical Flight Screening" then "MFS Welcome Letter." The letter says there are four areas of testing, but the echocardiogram is no longer performed (unless you come in with some history). Aside from no EKG the rest of the process was exactly like the letter states...nothing more. They don't poke or prod, or do any other tests not listed on the letter. Obviously, if during one of the regular tests they identify an abnormality there will be some additional testing...but everyone in my class was done by 1400 the first day. We only had 5 folks so that certainly expedited the process.

In addition to the regular testing I required all the PRK follow-up stuff. I can't divulge the details but I will say that I spent day two doing 6 hours of eye tests. It is a very thorough examination. During this testing they identified an abnormality with my vision, but after (many) additional tests recommended me for a waiver (what a relief that was...although waiver results are pending). They emphasize the fact that they are not the waiver authority...AETC makes the final call based upon your test results and the recommendation of the doctors.

The MFS staff is not what you expect...or at least what I expected. They are all extremely helpful and if you go in with a positive attitude they will do their best to get you through successfully. I personally appreciated the honesty and friendly attitude I encountered as I accomplished my PRK stuff. The process is stressful enough as it is, but the staff made it much more bearable.

I hope this makes some of you feel more comfortable. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me...I'll tell you what I can...but nothing more :nob:

Good Luck!!!

Guest ACJ7464

My note about Brooks is once you are a winged AF aviator call back to get your testing results. It lets you know the standards you must meet if you ever mess up your mellon. Plus it could be quite funny to boot.

• 1 month later...

The standard eye tests for MFS are:

-Cornel topography

-Red lens

-Color vision

Any other tests done are due to findings or a previous eye waiver (PRK, Depth perception, and other questionable issues)

The "puff" test is not part of the routine and it is not the definitive test for pressure test...for that you will be given the Goldman Applination test.

• 8 months later...

Well I am up and heading to Brooks in a week. And my Det's Sgt still hasn't sent me any info on what I need to bring or what I can and can't do before leaving. Anyone have this website (?) handy? I have sent him multiple emails and gone in to remind him...nothing. When I try calling he is out of the office doing who knows what.

Good news is I have my itinerary...but thats it.

TIA

Well I am up and heading to Brooks in a week. And my Det's Sgt still hasn't sent me any info on what I need to bring or what I can and can't do before leaving. Anyone have this website (?) handy? I have sent him multiple emails and gone in to remind him...nothing. When I try calling he is out of the office doing who knows what.

Good news is I have my itinerary...but thats it.

TIA

Try this...

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/IFC1-MFS

• 5 months later...

Well I was Brooks from 2 June until 5 June and all I have to say is "Wow." Two words...organized chaos. The physical was very in-depth but every part of it I could see was crucial to military aviation. I was nervous as hell, just scared that they would find "something" (if you will) and I would fail. I think that fear is in most people that go there. For all of you who are interested in what a typical visit is like, this was my experience.

DAY 1:

0700 - Briefing

0715 - Lab work [blood work, U/A (Urine Analysis)], EKG, Medical History (review w/ tech and make corrections if needed)

1200 - Lunch

1300 - Dental X-Ray, Chest X-Ray

1630 - End of day

DAY 2:

0700 - 4-hour Psychological exam (2 IQ tests, 2 personality tests)

1100 - Lunch

1145 - Urine Sample (Drug Testing)

1200 - Hearing test

1300 - Eye exams (Color vision, Near & Distant vision, Depth Perception, Eye Pressure, A Machine that scans your topography of your eye)

1500 - Eyes Dilated (Optometrist examines your eyes for Astigmatisms, Abnormalities in the cornea, etc. )

1600 - Meet w/ Flight Surgeon (asks general medical questions, does a true "physical", Hernia check, etc.)

1700 - End of Day

DAY 3:

If everything went smooth, you go home. If you failed something, or need corrective lenses for your vision, they will get you a temporary set and you will re-take any vision stuff you failed.

For all who are going to be going to Brooks soon...you have nothing to worry about. All of the staff are there to HELP you, NOT FAIL you. If you happen to fail something the first time, they will review WHY you failed it, try to correct your problem and you will be re-tested. If you failed in one area, they will do several sub-tests along the same lines to help you pass.

They are all very professional and (for ROTC cadets) treat you like an adult. This was my experience, please do not use this as an official itinerary for your visit for it might change. I'm sure I left some stuff out, but that pretty much covers it all.

For all who have been, if I left anything out...please include what I missed.

Good luck to everyone that goes.

--JackaL

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if anyone here has brought a girlfriend/fiancee/wife to Brooks with them during their FC1 (via ROTC). Is it feasible and if so, would it be a problem if they stayed with you at Brooks Inn or whatever the VOQ is there at Brooks. There were responses to this but that was back in 2005 and just wanted to know if anything has changed. Thanks.

Guest bravodelta79

I am currently awaiting dates to go to Brooks. I just finished up a full day medical exam at the local MEPS office and passed all eye, ear, BP, pee test, blood test and the "Underwear Olympics". Now, I've heard it referred to as a "commissioning physical". Is that the same as the IFC1 or will I have the IFC1 along with the MFS? I've been confused about this for months and have yet to get a straight answer.

I am readying to go to the board for AFRC C-130 UPT sponsored by a unit.

Anyone know if/when they do the height/weight portion of the testing?

It's only four days. If they did go you would get hardly any time with them anyways. And they'd have to pay their own way out there.

It sounds like you are back from 5p on. Good time to hit the River Walk and such it seems. Could be a fun little getaway. (Just don't give her your CC.)

• 1 month later...
Guest bravodelta79

For those who've been there recently... which day do they do the height/weight portion to make sure you're "fit to fight"? I need to plan which day I can enjoy the best Mexican food around!

I'm headed there on Sunday (14th). Anyone else going?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pilotapplicant

There is a fitness center, a running track, and a running trail that follows some lightly trafficked roads. The fitness center had pretty short hours when I was there last month. The Lodging office has info on all this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest r6pilot

To answer my own question about the fitness center/gym situation at Brooks...

There is a VERY small fitness center at the AF Inn which consists of two treadmills and one recumbent stationary bike. There is an LCD on the wall and some water in there. This is open 24/7.

There is a gym on base that is more of a drive than a walk from the Inn, but they do have some strange hours. When you check-in and get to your room, the "info book" on the desk lists the gym hours and has a map on how to get there. I never went so I have no details.

I did a few 45-60 minute runs on the roads throughout Brooks and they're pretty lightly traveled except for the hours that work lets out (4-5p). It was a good run with sidewalks on some of it.

• 1 year later...
Guest Poorman180

Flying out to Brooks on Sun Nov 15th. May be silly question but I am wondering what I should wear for Monday morning? One site said bring AF PT gear and another said civilian PT gear. Do I need both or just the AF PT gear? shorts or pants? I assume you can carry a backpack or something to put your extra clothes in? Thanks!

Guard F-16 alert crew chief going pilot

Flying out to Brooks on Sun Nov 15th. May be silly question but I am wondering what I should wear for Monday morning? One site said bring AF PT gear and another said civilian PT gear. Do I need both or just the AF PT gear? shorts or pants? I assume you can carry a backpack or something to put your extra clothes in? Thanks!

Guard F-16 alert crew chief going pilot

When I was down there they were pretty easy going with us. we were all guard and a little smaller group than usual. I would start in PTU but bring civilian stuff as well to maybe change. I would suggest not wearing any type of uniform for comfort. Don't wear blues!