Brooks administrative info

Guest Thriller

Guest guardhopefull

The reserves are funding my TDY. The orders are very vague on reporting and the Brooks website says even less, only to show up at 0700. Sounds like I will be sitting in San Antonio for a long time doing nothing. Iv tried to email and call Brooks but they are terrible at returning emails and calls. I can adjust my airline tickets but the travel office already told me that it would be a tough change because the route I fly is a popular one that fills up fast.

As for Laughlin, don’t know the class number but 12 May is the report date.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. Unit funded. Well I can pretty much guarntee you that you will only be going through MFS for 1 day. Only problem is there is that outside possibility that they could have folks come back the next day. CYA.

The safe bet is to just keep your reservations as is and change them when you finish MFS.

Look at it this way, I was only supposed to be in SAT for 2 days, and it has been 8 months now.

I'm betting you're going to be in 06-10 with a 12 May report date. So, no chance I'll be in your class, I could make the next one 06-11, but will probably be in 06-12.

I went through Brooks as a reservist last fall. It's pretty much a 3 day ordeal, all said and done. You'll show up the evening before & check into billeting. I think there's even a phone number i called to "report in" after 1700. They have a bus that picks you up bright and early the next morning so that you arrive at the testing center / holding room at 0700. Most likely, you'll be done by 1500 or 1600. Hit the riverwalk that night and then you'll leave the next day. They specifically tell you not to make flight reservations for the day of testing, in case they need to keep you around a little longer. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Guest guardhopefull

Okay I finally spoke to Brooks this morning and its still only one day so long as you have no issues.

If anyone else is going I rented a car on my own dime since its not covered. Let me know if you need to be picked up from the airport or need a ride.

If you call brooks can they tell you when you are scheduled to come down, supposedly my unit emailed them to schedule the appointment but noone has heard back... I was wondering if I could and if I should call them and find out what is going on... also who exactly would I call, and at what number?

Guest guardhopefull

I called yesterday and spoke with a TSgt, I don’t remember his name but I called DSN 240-5074

or 5072 and he looked up my name and told me exactly where and when to be. My orders say 30 March to 1 April but he said the first day is for travel. Sure enough I called the base hotel and Brooks had already made a reservation for me on the night of the 30th. So I would still try calling one of those numbers and just ask them if they will look you up to tell you when you are scheduled to come in. It seemed just like a doctors appointment. I called first thing in the morning and they picked up right away. Let me know if you need anymore help. I got the number of this site below in case you need the commercial number:

http://www.brooks.af.mil/web/fec/master.html?

Guest guardhopefull

Okay just got done and got the thumbs up! It was pretty easy and can't believe I worried about this thing for so long. Anyways here is how the day went. I showed up at 7am and there were only 3 of us so the day was going to be short. We started with a briefing about what would happen today and pretty much told to relax and they would do the rest. We quickly got a standing and sitting height. Then about 8am they took us down to do the psychological profile stuff. This thing was 5-6 different test that were broken up into half hour sessions or so. They measure IQ, and other stuff that supposedly tells them what airframe would best fit you. If you are wondering you can’t get the results until after UPT. We got to break for lunch for an hour then when we got back they did all the remaining tests in about an hour. Heart Ultrasound was first, this was really cool cause you got to see your own heart and listen to it. Then the red lense test, the corneal topography, and finally the color vision test. I can't go into to much detail but if you passed the FC1 color, trust me you will be just fine. In fact I was expecting something really hard and it was not. If anything was tough for me it was the Red Lense cause I was wearing eye glasses and they mess with my eyes a little to begin with but the evaluator was very patient with me.

Overall the staff was VERY nice and was happy to answer any questions (except how your results were). After the last test they took our info and put it into the computer and gave us the results 25 minutes later. They gave a short briefing about not going out and getting smashed tonight and sent us on our way at about 3:15pm. You take your form 600 and out the door you go.

[ 31. March 2005, 16:22: Message edited by: guard/reserve hopefull ]

Guest RaptorwannaB

Hey hopeful,

could you please elaborate on what those I.Q. tests do? Are they used so the AF can compare the tests against actual results from UPT or do they play a role in future assignments?

Guest guardhopefull

They said they play no role in any assignments. Basically they said that by testing you, they can find out what kind of pilot you are and what aircraft would best fit you. The results are ONLY available to that one Psychologist at Brooks, which he will discuss with you after you complete UPT, if you so choose. Overall it basically sounded like they were trying to find the perfect pilot for the perfect type of aircraft. But again they emphasized 10 times that they were not allowed to use them for your selection into a specific aircraft. We had two thorough briefings on it where you can ask all the questions you want. They seemed genuine in their demeanor when discussing the tests.

[ 03. April 2005, 19:05: Message edited by: guard/reserve hopefull ]

Guest guardhopefull

By the way I meant to add a couple things about my experience, because it seems like I have read a lot of people asking about these things. First was the sitting and standing height. No way to cheat (not that we ever would right?) on these suckers, they have this computer measuring equipment and no less then two people did the measurements. They told us if you're guard/reserve and you fail then you can get a waiver from your unit for your specific aircraft. Sounded easier for heavy guys. Don’t know what they would do for active duty guys since we had none in our Brooks class.

The first MSgt that briefed us did mention that if something was waiverable that they would look into it but I did not feel confident in him telling us that. Not calling him a liar, just my opinion since I'm always skeptical. When the flight surgeon briefed us an hour later he said he is always ready to talk to your uncle, general so and so, or Senator whomever. So I guess he deals with those types of people a lot when you go to get your big guns for a waiver. Although I don't know if he was the actual waiver authority. He was a really cool person and told us about the wonderful UAV program we all love so much. I think he said he works on the UAV program in some fashion.

That may just be useless info but thought Id throw it out there for you all. I remember reading posts about Brooks 3 years ago and guys saying they felt the people there almost tried to trick you into making you think that waivers were "no problem". Kinda like an attempt to trick you into divulging a weak area of one of your tests. So if anyone has ever heard this let me put that rumor to rest. They never did this and really there is no way to do it. I was never asked about any ailments or had the opportunity to tell them I had any. They just grabbed you and 5 minutes later the test was over, no questions asked. I even went into the test with a little bit of high eye pressure and they did not blink and eye at it, just stuck to the tests at hand.

[ 03. April 2005, 19:32: Message edited by: guard/reserve hopefull ]

• 1 month later...
Guest cb03t

Alright all, I just got back from Brooks yesterday. This is how things went.

We stayed off base in a hotel right next to base, not sure why, but we did. The first day was Urinalysis, Medical History, Heart Echo, EKG, Blood Work, Dental, Hearing, Color Vision and Depth Perception.

Day two was dominated with Dialating eyes, testing them, a supervised urinalysis, vital signs, and finally a physical with the Flight Surgeon. He may or may not let you know where you stand as far as being DQ'ed. DON'T ASK. He/She will give you the info if they feel comfortable.

The third day will be only for any additional tests you require, and also chest x-rays. The people who administer the tests are really nice, they don't make the rules, so the best bet for you all is to be nice as pie to them, because they control ALL of what AETC/SG will look at as far as your medical records. I would also recommend going downtown to the Riverwalk, it's pretty cool, some of the Mexican restaurants are really good. Just be prepare for a wait! That's all I got, let me know if you all have any additional questions.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest acj7464

Here is my 2 cents about Brooks. I returned from TX on Friday.

At this point there is nothing you can to do to improve your chances except follow the rules. I wear contacts and did remove them for the full 30 days before. If you "cheat" they will catch you.

Go and try and enjoy the time there with other new Lts. The 4 of us got a chance to excange AMS/OTS war stories and really enjoyed the day.

Good Luck and I would echo what was said above...The group there is not there to take your slot, they want and will help you however they can.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Thriller

I'm scheduled to go to Brooks for my Flight Screening. My question is if I will be able to bring my fiancé with me.

We will be driving (Brooks is about 4 hours away). I'm guessing they will put me in the VOQ. Either way, do they check your rooms to see if anyone is staying with you?

We only have one car to work with and I figured that it would be a nice break for both of us to go up there.

I figure if I keep it on the "down low", it should be all right. However I don’t want to rock the boat. If all else fails, we’ll just get a hotel.

Any of you who have recently come back from Brooks have any thoughts about this?

THRILLER

Guest kirkhac

It will not be a problem for you to take your fiance with you. Quite a few of the guys I was there with had girlfriends/wives with them. It's no big deal and you shouldn't need to keep it a secret.

I was just there in April, and we did stay in billeting on "base." I doubt anyone would have a problem with you bringing your fiance because all we did was catch a ride to the hospital in the morning, and get dropped back off at billeting in the evening (around 5-ish). No one supervises you or anything like that. Just realize that if you hit up the River Walk (as I did), you definately don't want to get light up and show up hung over to the medical exams! Not that you would do something like that anyway...!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Flyprdu

For those pilot candidates who had to go to Brooks for your MFS, did you weigh in? Or was it simply a continuation of your FC-1 and you stick to the extra stuff that wouldn't have been done in the FC-1 (i.e. color vision, echocardiogram)?

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if it's appropriate for a potential OTS candidate to call Brooks for clarification on some medical issues. There's a number on the Brooks website, but I don't want to call it if it's only supposed to be used by people already IN the Air Force...

Guest Thriller

Found out yesterday that I'll be staying in the Brooks Inn while undergoing the FC1 and MFS. When I first called to verify my reservation, the receptionist said that I wasn't in the system. So I went ahead and reserved a room on the credit card.

Right after that I called my Det NCOs and after a few hours, they told me that everything was taken care of.

Here is my question...Did any of you have to pay for your room while you were at Brooks and then do the whole Voucher thing when you returned?

Peace,

THRILLER

BTW...Anyone else going to Brooks on the 28th-31st of this month?

Guest FangsOut

When I got there, they had split the cadets up between the inn on base, and a motel just outside the base,heritage inn or something. Anyways at the off-base motel we paid for the room and were reimbursed, not sure if the same happened on base. By the way, La Margarita in downtown SA is the best mexican food I've ever had.

Thriller,

I stayed at the Inn as well, had to pay for it and was reimbursed when I got back. You also get paid to go to Brooks, I can't remember how much, but its not a bad deal, as long as you dont get DQ'ed!

Guest bullseyekp

I've called Brooks several times to inquire about PRK waivers. The people were very helpful. Just try to identify the department that you need to speak with before you call.

Oops, BTW, I'm a civilian.

[ 01. September 2005, 21:34: Message edited by: bullseyekp ]

• 1 month later...
Guest coastal96

To piggyback on this thread . . .

1. Can I, as a civilian, call and schedule an exam for a PRK waiver?

2. If so, who would I contact to do so?

• 5 months later...

Thank you for all the info on this site. I have finally finished OTS and I am reporting to Brooks tommorow for my flight physical. I am taking a flight to San Antonio and want to pack lightly to avoid checking bags. Anyone know what uniform I need to wear if any. I called billeting and they did not know. Please reply soon as I am packing now. I did a search and there was some conflicting info on it and it was dated.