Pulse Rate

Guest laurendenise28

Guest laurendenise28

Just wondering what the normal pulse rate range is and if they check at the flight physical. My blood pressure is fine, but the trainer at the gym told me my resting pulse is 90 and that it is high for someone who works out. I maintain a healthy lifestyle overall, so it doesn't make sense to me - have worked out regularly for years and haven't eaten red meat in 10+ yrs. Anyone know the range they are looking for?? Thank you. (90 is when I am relaxed - I imagine at the physical I will be nervous, so I am concerned it will be even higher)

-Lauren

Guest Youngnita

I wouldn't worry about it. During the physical they actually take your pulse rate while standing, sitting, lying down, and then standing again (I think). I would suggest that you not be discouraged by what you may (or may not) hear about the physical. There is a plethora of information here, but I think the most important thing to remember is continue to pursue regardless. Don't quit the race before it has even started. You will do well. Just direct your concern to things you do have control over and it will all come together. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest derekpgreen

When I took my intro physical, back when the earth was cooling and dinosaurs ruled the earth, the tech administering my physical took my pulse rate told me the limit was 100 bpm. I was stationed at Brooks AFB before I went to pilot training, which as you know is the "school house" so-to-speak for issues of that nature. I was very athletic and worked out and mine kept going above 100, because I was nervous. He just kept taking it until it was below 100. When he finally measured a pulse rate below 100, the rest of the tests turned out well. So, do not worry.

One hint: In order to lower your heart rate, you can take deep SLOW breaths. Do not hyperventilate. That gives your body more oxygen and therefore your heart does not have to beat as fast to supply it with the oxygen it needs.

Guest laurendenise28

Thank you both for the encouraging words. My physical is this week and I am worried about it. I know I cannot do much but wait and see...I appreciate the advice on the slow breaths...I'll let you know how it goes!

-Lauren

Guest Bushmaster

Lauren, I had the same problem last year, my resting pulse was 104!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was so worried about it, "there is no apparent reason for that to happen" I thought... So I started running everyday. I was also taking Allegra-D because my wife thought I had allergies... Man, I cut that Allegra-D and my pulse went back to normal!

I don't know if any medication contributes to high pulse rate...

Right now it is in 80s... Also I second what Space Nupe said, being nervous makes your pulse go high, sky high... When I was going thru FAA medicals in 1999, I had to lay down and relax for more than 15 minutes in the doctor's office...

By the way, I love meat... any kind of meat.... Hmmmmm... buurgeer....

Guest laurendenise28

My pulse ended up being fine afterall! Although I have others factors that will be problems...but my resting pulse ended up being about 68...thanks for the advice on breathing slow. After doing one minute of jumping jacks (and thinking i would fall on my face because I was so hungry from fasting) it went to a nice 104 and then back down.

Guest Bushmaster
Although I have others factors that will be problems...
Lauren, what other factors will be problems? Can you give a short summary of the whole flight physical experience? I found out that even Army flight physicals are done by the AF, man I can't escape from em

Guest derekpgreen

68!? Wow! What a turn around. Regarding your other factors...one things is certain in my mind. Prayer works. My life is a huge example, especially with regard to aviation and the military.

[ 30 May 2003, 21:24: Message edited by: Space Nupe ]

Guest Bushmaster

I used to pray a lot, I can't do it anymore, I don't know why... I stress out on a lot things (even tiny ones) lately, especially on these medical standards...

Guest laurendenise28

thanks for the positive words, Space Nupe. Bushmaster, sorry this took so long to reply to. Here is my summary...

I had a general physical in nov 02, so it ended up they did not need to redo everything. If you've already had a physical w/ the AF, bring your copy! During the regular physical it didn't seem as stringent, and during the flight physical they went off of the working copy of the general physical and added an EKG, chest X-ray, pulse rates, eye exam and alot of blood work. (At least I thought so. How many vials do they really need?!) The doc came in and asked if I considered myself in good health and that was about it.

My concerns were:

EKG - it printed out abnormal (two times), but I am "within the limits". The flight surgeon said it shouldn't be a problem (but he didn't really seem sure) and will have someone else look at it before they send it off.

Vision - My biggest hurdle! So, my suspicions were confirmed - I am pretty much blind. Near vision 20/200, distant 20/400 and refractive error -5.25 and -5.00. Ouchh. (No astigmatism)

Depth Perception - I got 15 out of the 16 lines needed to pass the circle test. (So I failed!) They told me the circle test is the only one accepted. Let me know if you want more info. It is always an experience walking around not being able to see and trying to prove I can really navigate my way around a medical clinic..

-Lauren

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lauren,

When you're talking about the circle test for color vision, are you talking about those charts in the the shape of a circle filled with colored bubbles, and there is a number in those bubbles that you have to distinguish? Why did you miss one? Thanks for the info...

John

Guest laurendenise28

Hi John,

No, I think the charts with the colored bubbles are for testing color vision. The test I failed was the depth perception. There are 16 lines you need to pass. Each line has 5 black circles and a white background and you are supposed to be able to tell which circle is jumping out at you. It was difficult for me to tell.I actually retook it a few days ago and passed! I tried a different pair of glasses and was able to struggle through.

-Lauren