Tooth/teeth issues (sensitive, root canal)

Guest Fokker172

Guest Fokker172

Does that sound like something that could be a potential disqualifier? My teeth are very temperature sensative. I only brush my teeth with warm water, too hot hurts, and too cold hurts.

Thanks.

Guest Bushmaster

Use Sensodyne Toothpaste and I am sure you will see improvement... Had the same thing but not anymore...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Flight Doc

Tooth temperature sensitivity likely means you have periodontal disease. You should get this treated so you don't join the denture wearing crowd before your time.

• 2 years later...

I just had my braces taken off yesterday and I found out I am going to need a root canal on my #9 tooth (the left one of my two front teeth). I have no idea what trauma to my teeth caused this but they say I will need a root canal. I had a friend look at it that works for an office and they were telling me when it comes to root canals on the from teeth your most likely going to end up having to replace the tooth with an implant. My problem is this now, am I going to run into problems on my quest to become a pilot because of this root canal/possible tooth implant. or am I going to be just narrowed to specific Airframes or what.. Just wanting to know my options..

Thanks for the help, will update on the situation later to know what exactly is going to happen

Guest GooneyBird

Had a root canal on my #9 tooth back when I was 14 or 15. The tooth is still there and they just put I cap on the back of it. No problem.

• 1 year later...
Guest brandonv

I got my FC1 earlier this month and was told that I needed another root canal. This would have been the third time for this tooth. I talked to the endodontist and came to the conclusion that it would be better to pull the tooth and do a bone graft and once it is healed to do an implant. Does the implant need to be in place in order for my FC1 to be approved or am I cleared once I get the tooth pulled and the bone graft done?

Guest P27:17

Once the tooth is pulled and healed you should be fine...I'd wait until after UPT to get further dental work done.

• 5 years later...

Going in for FC1/MFS later this summer and had a question regarding root canals.

I had a root canal performed on a lower molar approx 1.5 years ago. No crown was placed on the tooth. No pain, sensitivity, or brittleness since the work was done. Will I need to get the tooth crowned to pass the FC1? Thanks for any advice.

I'm assuming they at least put a permanent filling on it, yes? If so you should be fine. I had a root canal performed on an upper molar in 2007 that received a hardcore filling rather than a crown, and subsequently passed an FC1.

AFI47-101

A2.1. CLASS 1. Patients with a current dental examination who do not require dental treatment or reevaluation. Class 1 patients are worldwide deployable.

A2.2. CLASS 2. Patients with a current dental examination who require non-urgent dental treatment or reevaluation for oral conditions that are unlikely to result in dental emergencies within 12 months. Class 2 patients are worldwide deployable. Patients in dental class 2 may exhibit the following:

A2.2.1. Treatment or follow-up indicated for dental caries or minor defective restorations that can be maintained by the patient.

A2.2.2. Interim restorations or prostheses that can be maintained for a 12-month period. This includes teeth that have been restored with permanent restorative materials but for which protective cuspal coverage is indicated.

A2.2.3. Edentulous areas requiring prostheses, but not on an immediate basis.

A2.2.4. Periodontium that requires:

A2.2.4.1. Oral prophylaxis.

A2.2.4.2. Maintenance therapy.

A2.2.4.3. Treatment for slight to moderate periodontitis and stable cases of more advanced periodontitis, and/or removal of supragingival or mild to moderate subgingival calculus.

A2.2.5. Unerupted, partially erupted, or malposed teeth that are without historical, clinical, or radiographic signs or symptoms of pathosis, but which are recommended for prophylactic removal.

A2.2.6. Active orthodontic treatment. The provider should consider placing the patient in passive appliances for deployments up to six months. For longer periods of deployment, the provider should consider removing active appliances and placing the patient in passive retention.

A2.2.7. Temporomandibular disorder patients in remission. The provider anticipates the patient can perform duties while deployed without ongoing care and any medications or appliances required for maintenance will not interfere with duties.

Don't see a major problem. Read through the AFI as necessary. If memory serves, you need to be Class 1 for initial approval, but I'm not 100% sure.

• 3 years later...

I had a root canal in 2007 and the tooth that was previously there was replaced with a completely fake tooth. I've had no issues with the tooth/nerve since. Any FC1 DQing issues there?

I'm scheduled for my FC1/MFS the week after Labor Day and have a dental check-up scheduled for next week to clear-up any cavities or other issues that may prevent me from being FC1 cleared at WP. Thanks for any info/thoughts.

I had a root canal in 2007 and the tooth that was previously there was replaced with a completely fake tooth. I've had no issues with the tooth/nerve since. Any FC1 DQing issues there?

I'm scheduled for my FC1/MFS the week after Labor Day and have a dental check-up scheduled for next week to clear-up any cavities or other issues that may prevent me from being FC1 cleared at WP. Thanks for any info/thoughts.

Dental standards are VERY generic and open to the interpretation and opinion of the individual dentist. In this case, I'm inclined to think it's fine, but your own civilian doc may have a better opinion than most non dental medics.

Print out and ask the dentist to complete a DD 2813 for you.

Dental standards are VERY generic and open to the interpretation and opinion of the individual dentist. In this case, I'm inclined to think it's fine, but your own civilian doc may have a better opinion than most non dental medics.

Print out and ask the dentist to complete a DD 2813 for you.

Cool, thanks deaddebate..Been lurking on here for a while before creating an account...You da man.

• 4 weeks later...

Question from a civilian:

I am due to fly (fast jet) with an Air Force unit on Thursday next week. I have a root canal and filling scheduled this Friday (tomorrow)

ISTR that, in previous medicals, I have been asked about recent dental surgery. Would Friday's root canal and filling DQ me from getting my passenger medical?

Question from a civilian:

I am due to fly (fast jet) with an Air Force unit on Thursday next week. I have a root canal and filling scheduled this Friday (tomorrow)

ISTR that, in previous medicals, I have been asked about recent dental surgery. Would Friday's root canal and filling DQ me from getting my passenger medical?

Call your Flight Med Clinic or go during sick call hours. You should have been DNIF'd. You need an Aeromedical Dispo.

Call your Flight Med Clinic or go during sick call hours. You should have been DNIF'd. You need an Aeromedical Dispo.

Deaddebate

Thanks for the response.

I am a British national, so I am not familiar with all your terms (although I know what DNIF is). But it sounds like I should cancel my dental appointment tomorrow. 

Edited by Steve Davies

• 3 years later...

It's true! Teeth issues are really very sensitive. Brushing them twice or thrice is essential to maintain oral hygiene. Sensitive teeth need more care just like mine. My friend suggested going for [dentist plug redacted] for all problems. Took mom for root canal therapy last month and was satisfied with their counseling to get fillings done.

10 hours ago, Herbi05 said:
It's true! Teeth issues are really very sensitive. Brushing them twice or thrice is essential to maintain oral hygiene. Sensitive teeth need more care just like mine. My friend suggested going for [dentist plug redacted] for all problems. Took mom for root canal therapy last month and was satisfied with their counseling to get fillings done.

Interesting first post/thread revival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk