Moral (Legal) Waivers

Guest ryan77

Guest charger

Currently an Active Duty AF officer with a TS-SCI clearance. I disclosed in my commissioning physical and background check that I experimented with marijuana <5 times 8 years ago when I was a teen. I was completely open about it....didn't want my integrity challenged in any way.

I've got everything together to apply for the '04 Active Duty UFT board except for the flight physical which I plan on proceeding with in May '03. Is the flight doc going to ask me about prior drug usage again? If so, will I need a moral waiver for it? I would think that if I needed a waiver, I would've had to get it upon commissioning. Thoughts?? I appreciate your help.

• 11 months later...
Guest ryan77

I am currently enlisted in the Air Force and am planning on submitting an OTS/UPT package in a few months. I have a 3.2 GPA,a Private Pilot ticket, and 200+ hours. I still need to take the AFOQT/BAT. When I enlisted in the Air Force 5 years ago, I was required to get a moral waiver due to an underage drinking violation I received when I was 20. It has since been removed. When I submit my OTS application, will I be required to get another moral waiver? Also, what are my chances of getting a pilot slot assuming I do well on the AFOQT? Any help would be great! Thanks

Guest jeff1234

Yes you will need one no matter if you go guard (AMS) or Reserves or Active duty (OTS). Don’t sweat the waiver just be open and honest about the incident and if asked take full responsibility for it. If your package is strong and with your prior service Id venture to say that it should not come into play to much if any.

• 1 month later...
Guest GoMounties

Don't let it haunt you by trying to hide it besides it's on your file, they will find it. It's hard admitting negatives when you know it's not in your favor. The people making the decisions know that and will respect you for sitting up, admitting and taking full responsiblity. Don't sweat it, you were 20 and since then you have private ticket and 200+. More than I had.

Guest 130Nav

Actually I had a moral waiver when I came in as enlisted but I did not have to do another one when I became an officer.

A good record as an enlisted person will go along way towards showing that you are capable of maintaining the military standards. There is a time limit on how long they hold that stuff over your head.

Don't sweat it!

Guest pcampbell

I'm with 130Nav on this one. I had several moral waivers when I enlisted, and none when I commissioned. Just be honest on the security clearance stuff. Save all of the paperwork you had when you enlisted and use it again so that you don't contradict yourself.

• 2 years later...
Guest IIXxRaVeNxXII

I know I may get the answer in a few weeks in a month or so...But, just wanted to know what everyone's opinion is..cause I know recruiters frequent these forums...

Basically, trying to join the air force...made some mistakes in my young past..and I have two counts of domestic assault, which were dismissed without trial, and an attempted burgulary which was dismissed after a pre-trial diversion(probation) not sure if this was a felony or misdeamnor, but he(the recruiter) has gotten me started on the moral waiver (the three references)..

When I went to the ARMY recruiter, he didn't mention waivers, but mention some Luthenberg Law, even though they were dismissed, and stated that he would have to talk with his surperior who was out at the time, and just deceided to see if the AF could work for me from that point on...

Also, do all the branches use the same waiver process, like should I keep the references I get, in case, the AF waiver doesn't go through...

At least the recruiter, believes I am something to work with, I am working with one outside my city, because the one in my city, didn't even want to work deal me, when he found out I have exczema...

Yet, when I was about to join the Navy, a couple of years ago, when I was graduating high school, I went to MEPS, and they was able to waive the exzcema, since it is not severe...

Just took the ASVAB, a few days ago, and the line scores of the AF range from 71 to 78, and the AFQT is a 74, and at least 20 college credits, which the recruiter states will help the moral waiver...

One last thing, I am married, yet he stated that he would have to do a credit check, since I am married (Why is this credit check, needed?) So, just two days ago, I filed for a divorce, I have yet to tell the recuiter about the divorce which I believe may hinder the recruiting process, since everything has happened in less than one week, from the inital conversation, to the ASVAB test, to the divorce filing...

One last thing, when I was younger, about 18, I got depressed, and had suicidal tendacies, but was never put on medication, cause the person I talked to clarified it as 'situational depression', but I don't plan to tell the military about this part in my life...

One last thing, what the the jobs do not require a security clearance, because with my past, I doubt I may be getting one, if I get in that is...

Just want an opinion on pretty much everything..

Guest Hydro130

Hate to say it, but it's not looking good, as you admit...

Everyone in the military must have a SECRET security at a minumum.

The security clearance process is VERY detailed, and will cover EVERY aspect of your life (relationship issues, credit issues, legal issues, etc, going all the way back to the day you were born. If "it" happened, "it" will be an issue for your clearance, regardless of how it was settled legally.

Best of luck...

Cheers, Hydro

Guest hoke82

Lautenberg only applies for actual convictions of domestic violence, if the charges were dropped that shouldn't be a factor. As far as the credit check, I know they use it for investigations for your security clearance.

Guest nicks13

Well you should have some really good scores to offset the legal issues. Some good LORs might help. Definatly doesn't help anything though by having those legal issues. About the psychological problems...you have to say if you have been to a counselor or other therapy on the application (I believe)...probably not too good to lie on that.

[ 12. June 2006, 23:05: Message edited by: nicks13 ]

Guest IIXxRaVeNxXII

does any military know anyone personally, that is currently in the military with a shady past, or something the failed to disclose, and they never caught it, or they are still in?

Also, does the military do an additional background criminal check...because when the recruiter, gave me the background check (Offical Form which says to disclose sealed Info) to take to the county clerk myself, he needed detailed information on those charges, but the background check, only had traffic tickets because those charges were dismissed and expunged...

Guest Hydro130

Raven,

You need to understand this very clearly: Disclose all of your dirty laundry upfront. If you do not, it IS just a matter of time before they find out.

If you disclose it all up front, the worst that can happen is they say "No" and you go to Plan B.

If you hide something, they WILL find out about it eventually (that's why these clearance processes can take well over a year -- they are digging through your entire life with a fine-tooth comb). I guarantee 100% they will find every last bit of dirt on you. If they believe that you intentionally didn't disclose that info when you had the chance, then the consequences will be more serious than simply "Aloha means goodbye".

Oh, and DO disclose anything that was dismissed/expunged/whatever. If you don't bring it up at the interview, they will later. As I said above, the clearance background check is concerned with the actions, not the resulting legal horse-trades which may have gotten you off the hook (as a minor or whatever).

Trust me on this: DISCLOSE EVERYTHING UPFRONT! I've seen dudes go down in flames for not doing so, and I've never heard of anyone "getting away" with anything.

Best of luck.

Hydro

I admire your desire to serve, but I think you might want to look for a job elsewhere. In order for all your paperwork to clear, it will pretty much take an act of God. Good luck to you.

Guest IIXxRaVeNxXII

So, basically my chances are slim to none, getting in to the air force, or getting in to the military all together, such, as the ARMY, since I believe the braches have different standards?

Guest rtstolwo

Raven, one thing I have noticed reading this site is that these guys will encourage people to at least try no matter what. I have seen them encourage guys with Marijuana arrests, DUI's, etc. I think the fact that they are telling you the oppisite is a pretty clear indicator of your chances. That being said, try because the worst they can do (and probably will, but you never know) is say no.

Guest KoolKat

WTF. You were a f_ck up earlier...fine. You don't even have a record. A bunch of f_ck ups, sure.

If your still a f_ck up, then I'm with the other guys...go somewhere else, I don't want to have to deal with you as a supervisor...spare me.

If your not a f_ck up anymore, then go through the process. You'll be fine.

Like Hydro said, be honest about everything.

I got a DUI after I signed my paper work. I fly C-130s.

It matters what kind of person you are, who you know & how much they want to help you get what you want. THAT is all you need to know.

BENDY

Guest CAVOK

There is an extremely high number of overly qualified people trying to enter the AF as enlisted or officer.

The big question that I have for you is not can you get in the AF. There are a few that you really have to wonder how it happened. The question is, what do you have to offer the AF? And is it worth the risk to the AF when looking at your VERY recent past?

Just interviewed an officer candidate who worked during HS, put himself through college, well rounded, physically fit, and scores were 93,99,99,98,99. That is who you are up against. By the way, one of his options if not selected as an officer is to enter enlisted.

Bendy, glad it worked for you. But there is a huge difference between driving yourself home after one too many when you are 21 years old & things like assault & burglary. One shows a lapse in personal judgment. The other shows a disregard for the rights and well being of others.

Sorry, but I'm sure it is not what you want to hear.

CAVOK

Guest IIXxRaVeNxXII

How "easy" it is for waiver approval does depend, in very large part, on how bad that particular military service needs bodies at that particular point in time.

In other words, the harder time a particular service is having finding enough qualified applicants to meet their recruiting goals, the more likely they are to favorably consider waiver requests. Conversely, if a service isn't having any problem meeting their recruiting goals, they are much less likely to consider applicants which require a waiver (remember, if you need a waiver, it means you are *not qualified* for military service, and the service is making an exception in your particular case).

Guest sleepy

(remember, if you need a waiver, it means you are *not qualified* for military service, and the service is making an exception in your particular case).

Disconcur. A waiver merely means that you do not measure up to particular standards that Big Blue, or any other service, has set forth for its memebers. "We would like for our peeps to have such and such, or be such and such, but we will allow for wiggle room." The wiggle room are waiver limits.

If you happen to be beyond waiver limits, you are then *not qualified* for military service. In order to accepted, an ETP (exception to policy) would have to be granted.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Guest sleepy

"What is this ETP?"

It is a miraculous act that immediately qualifies the granter to be beatified, and subjects the grantee to be the life-long b!tch of the granter.

Raven, I admire your tenacity. Really, I do. If you are going to go through with this, you either need to have dirt on someone in a very high place, or spend a long time searching the forrest for the right tree up which you must bark.

Best of luck to you.

• 2 months later...
Guest ghostfighter

I had a misdemeanor battery charge for slapping someone's hand that I went through PTI pre trial intervention and got the charge dismissed but it is on my record as PTI. Also this is a charge that can be sealed, which I have not done. I am wondering if I will need a waiver for this or if it can prevent me from joining and if I should bother sealing it?

[ 29. August 2006, 09:31: Message edited by: ghostfighter ]

Guest ShortThrow

Slapping someone's hand?

I wouldn't say you need a waiver, just be sure to disclose that info to whomever necessary. I could be wrong though, as I don't know much.