Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)

Guest flyinghi

Guest c130copilot

What is the official stance on skin based stds like herpes and genital warts and flying?

Are there any ramifications for promotion or career advancement from having an std?

Guest Flight Doc

The short answer: STDs are disqualifying while active/symptomatic. Once resolved/cured, you're good to go. For herpes, if you need to take an oral medication to suppress it (acyclovir), you can get a waiver. Topical acyclovir does not require waiver. There are some extra rules for syphilis (to ensure adequate treatment and cure).

HIV is disqualifying - there is no cure. Unless the STD was associated with criminal behavior, it should be treated confidentially and should not negatively impact your career. When you are medically DNIF for a few days, the doc doesn't tell your boss why.

Herpetic keratitis is uncommon but not rare - we see it once in a while. It does need a waiver.

• 1 year later...
Guest flyinghi

So my boyfriend is taking his physical tomorrow and is dead worried about not passing it due to the fact that he has herpes. He has never had an outbreak but is wondering about it. I was reading somewhere where it states you can get a medical waiver of some sort...does anyone know where I can look up more info. on what the details are of this waiver?

Guest thebronze

Lie to FLY. The AF (or anyone else) doesn't need to know anything about his STD's. he'd just be openening a can that he doesn't need to open. Tell him to keep his trap shut!

[ 11 February 2004, 16:58: Message edited by: Johann ]

Originally posted by Johann:

Lie to FLY. The AF (or anyone else) doesn't need to know anything about his STD's. he'd just be openening a can that he doesn't need to open. Tell him to keep his trap shut!

Um...you're an idiot. Do you really think the AF just takes your word about medical conditions? There's large amounts of these things called tests they run on you to find out what's living inside you.

To the original poster: If he has herpes, then they're eventually going to find out. It's definitely not a good idea to go in and lie on the paperwork just to have them run a test and see he lied. I don't even know if herpes is a DQ (I'm sure he wouldn't be the first person in the AF with a STD). Maybe some others in the know can tell you for sure.

Yeah lie to fly..... :rolleyes: Great idea especially since they take extreme amounts of blood during the physical and do numerous urine test. Either way, willingly or not, they are going to find out. I wouldnt start your career off by trying to cheat the system!! I wish him the best of luck though. I dont see what herpes would have to do with anything that would keep you from being able to fly, but then again I am not a doctor.

Guest iflytandemrotor

I don't think I would lie about that...if it was ever in his medical records, they will know about it. I am an army aviator and had an aquantance lie about a medical condition...guess what, he is in the infantry now. Light Flight

Guest mrharvester

Well, I know that the AF tests for syphilis. I got recalled about 2 months after my FC1 along with about 50 other guys becasue the lab screwed up all of our syphilis tests.

This is my first post after being a reader for awhile, but I don't want any wannabe or new pilots to think that "Lie to Fly" is the way to get ahead. I may have a bit of a different perspective because I only fly single-seat, but Johann is just wrong. I have been flying for over 8 years now, and have learned some lessons along the way. I have flown with congested sinuses and lived with the incredible pain for days afterwards. I have seen other guys who were "just a little stuffy" come back with a mask full of blood from their ruptured sinuses.

I don't self-medicate. If I do self-medicate, I don't fly and go to the doc instead. There are times when I am a little stuffy, but because I know my physiology, I don't go to the doc right away .... but I don't fly either.

There is no commander in the AF that is going to pressure someone to fly when they say they aren't up to it.

I am on a waiver, and I know many people in my squadron who are as well. I wouldn't offer up information that they don't ask for. And if they tell me "no" after I answer a question truthfully.... I keep looking until I find the person who has the rank to say "yes".

Being a pilot is fantastic, but living a life without integrity isn't worth it.

Guest C5Heavy

Johann,

Bottom line your original post about herpes should have been a simple 'Not disqualifying' when inactive. It's nothing you need to lie about since in itself herpes is not disqualifying. I left a link on this post.

You can know your physiology better but its good to let your doc know what you have in case you need medication.

Better be safe when you're up there.

• 1 year later...
Guest 1996flyer

does anyone know if an STD like herpes can disqualify you from flying duty after you have been rated

Guest doctidy

You would have to be having a lot of problems with Herpes to DQ you. For instance...you are having painful outbreaks weekly, or its in an area where you can't wear military equipment (like on your face where the outbreak...which is always there...prevents you from wearing an aviator mask). It would be very rare.

Additionally, we can get you a waiver to take medications for outbreaks of Herpes...to prevent their recurrence and lessen the severity. (Getting the waiver doesn't take a long time either).

• 6 months later...

I just completed my third class flight physical, and now it looks like I've got a little case of HPV (Human Papilloma Virus - Genital Warts). I didnt have or know of the condition when I went through the flight physical, so obviously I did not list it and it was not picked up by the doc. Now that I have it I would like to get it treated, but dont want to be DQ'd from possible OTS and pilot position.

I read the post in 2004, but was hoping someone had more recent information, and solid information about HPV being disqualifying. Thanks

Guest doctidy

Are you a guy or a gal? Either way HPV is not disqualifying. Its just that in women, HPV can show up as problems on a PAP smear...complicating a woman's application, but again, not disqualifying.

I'm a guy, age 24. Is this something I let my recruiter know about? there is only 1 leision. If I have it removed, therefore listed in my civilian medical records, it will most likely show up and look as though I lied, even though I did not know about the condition during my physical. Thanks

Guest doctidy

I'd just put it on my physical. The recruiter doesn't need to know about this personal issue. Again, this is no big deal.

Since I already had my 3rd class flight physical, and I wasnt aware of the condition, should I bring it up during my 1st class flight physical? Thanks

• 10 months later...
Guest fishingnflying

I have used the search function on baseops but wasn't able to find a concrete answer. If a person was diagnosed with syphilis is that permanantly disqualifying or is it not a problem if properly treated? Are there waivers available? Thank you for your help in advance.

Guest salokin
I have used the search function on baseops but wasn't able to find a concrete answer. If a person was diagnosed with syphilis is that permanantly disqualifying or is it not a problem if properly treated? Are there waivers available? Thank you for your help in advance.

I'm no doctor, but I found this. Hope this helps.

A4.31.1.16. Syphilis, congenital or acquired. A history of primary or secondary syphilis is not

disqualifying provided:

A4.31.1.16.1. The examinee has no symptoms of disease.

A4.31.1.16.2. There are no signs of active disease, and no residual thereof.

A4.31.1.16.3. Serologic Venereal Disease Research Laboratory (VDRL) testing rules out

reinfection.

A4.31.1.16.4. There is a verified history of adequate treatment.

A4.31.1.16.5. There is no evidence or history of CNS involvement.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be an AS 200 this fall and I just found out my girlfriend has chlamydia, which means that there's a pretty good chance I have it too. I want to be a pilot, I've already got my dodmerb done and my 3rd class medical, and I was just wondering if this is gonna DQ me for anything.

Thanks,

Stingray

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be an AS 200 this fall and I just found out my girlfriend has chlamydia, which means that there's a pretty good chance I have it too. I want to be a pilot, I've already got my dodmerb done and my 3rd class medical, and I was just wondering if this is gonna DQ me for anything.

Thanks,

Stingray

Nope. Best thing to do is get tested soon. If you're positive, take a handful of azithromycin, try not to scratch and scream when you pee, and for the love of god, don't be a fool: wrap your tool.

• 2 months later...
Guest simpleguy

hello i'm beginning pilot school in a few weeks time but just found out i got HPV (Human Papilloma virus) would that disqualify me from passing my medical exams and if asked about whether i have any STD's what should i say, should i bring it up with the doctor if the question isn't asked?

Guest ponygal

Do you know if it is the same for precancerous cells in the cervix? I don't know if the Air Force considers HPV and precancerous cells to be the same thing, but do you know if having precancerous cells will disqualify you from flight?