Asthma (and waiver) info

Guest dirtydog

Nevermind, I'm an idiot and am going to go post some titties in the NSFW thread for my screw up. I didn't read this on the front page of the document I was looking at “This document primarily provides guidance for waivers on trained flying class II and III personnel, and where specifically stated applies to flying class I/IA applicants and other special duty personnel. This waiver guide does not cover general military entrance, commissioning, or enlistment.”

Never the less, does anyone know what I will generally need to show documentation about and submit as part of the asthma waiver?

Thanks.

Hi all,

So, I'm going through the process of completing my application for an upcoming rated board and just want to get some info before I go more indepth with my recruiter about the waiver needed for my past asthma. I have my pediatric records and see that I had asthma before the age of 12, but that I had no signs of asthma after 12, and doctors notes saying "history of asthma, but none recently" on all checkups after age 12. Effectively, no mention of asthma after 12 and doctors notes of clear chest, normal checkouts, and documentation of me playing sports throughout the rest of my years (that I visited him).

From the most recent Air Force waiver guide (May 2013), I'm seeing that I will need a waiver for FCI/IA for history of childhood ashtma <= 12, with no ACS evaluation required (footnotes stating this is most likely a methacholine challenge). Further down under the information required for waiver submission, I see a section for solitary exercised induced bronchospasm and for asthma. For the aeromedical summary required for asthma, I'm seeing the following that is needed:

A: Detailed chronology of asthmatic episodes, provocation factors, emergency room visits, and treatment.

B: Results of all spirometry. Should include results of spirometry with pre and post bronchodilator after three months on current therapy.

C: Internal medicine or pulmonary consult.

D: Allergy consult if individual also has allergic rhinitis.

E: MEB results, if complete.

My question is, as someone who had no symtoms of asthma after age 12 (and a few years before that), who was prescribed and inhaler but (as far as I know, from memory and doctor's records) never used it, doesn't have allergies or take any medication for asthma/allergies, what all needs to be included in my waiver request? Is it what is listed above (A though E)? If so, can someone explain what exactly B is. Also, if I'm shooting for the 14OT04 board (app w/ waiver submission deadline early November), then I assume I'm screwed if B needs results after a period of 3 months?

Am I just misreading the waiver guide and the A though E information is what is needed for someone who currently has asthma or induced asthma? If so, what would be needed for someone in my situation (asthma before 12, but not after)? Would I just need to send in my records/history and, if needed, methacholine test results?

Sorry for the long post, but much thanks to anyone with any information!

Edited by donkey

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone know what I will generally need to show documentation about and submit as part of the asthma waiver?
I'm presuming you're applying for IFC I (Pilot) and have h/o childhood asthma <12. The reference you quoted is still accurate. Your Doc should coordinate all the specialty consultations. If you're processing as DODMERB/MEPS, bring a copy of the requirements. If it's an AF facility, they'll know everything you need. The best (and probably only) thing you can do (other than go to whatever appointments they arrange for you) is compile all known history of your condition. Request any civilian documentation, particularly any previous Pulmonology consults, especially if it states that your condition resolved with an estimated date of resolution. Obviously much of the original documentation will be difficult or impossible to attain. If you can't get something, document it as well as you can as an MFR and sign it. Use some phrasing like "to the best of my knowledge and memory" to CYA.