Psoriasis questions

Guest rb

Flight Doc

I am currently on flight status (pilot) and have a skin condition called psoriasis. I have not mentioned this condition to the flight docs and it has not turned up on any of my flight physicals. My dad has told me that psoriasis is the reason he did not pass his draft physical during the 60's. My questions are, if I mention this on my next PHA will I get DQ'd? Is there any medicine I can use (other than the several over-the-counter medicated shampoo's avaliable)?

[ 18 November 2002, 08:15: Message edited by: Flight Doc ]

Guest Flight Doc

First question is do you really have psoriasis? Psoriasis may vary from occasional almost ignorable mild skin irritation to significant complications such as psoriasis induced arthritis.

Psoriasis is DQ. Mild cases in already trained flyers with no other problems may get waiver.

A7.27. Skin.

A7.27.1. Flying Classes II and III.

A7.27.1.1. Any chronic skin disorder which is severe enough to cause recurrent grounding from flying duties, or is aggravated by or interferes with the wearing of military equipment.

A7.27.1.13. Psoriasis.

A7.27.2. Flying Classes I and IA. In addition to above, psoriasis or verified history of same.

Waiver guide:

http://quicksand.brooks.af.mil/web/af/afc/...y/Psoriasis.htm

• 3 months later...

If someone thinks they may have had a mild case of psoriasis as a child (but it wasn't diagnosed)and assuming that they have not had it since, should they just not mention it in their medical history, or forget about joining the military? I have heard that you shouldn't mention any conditions that you haven't been diagnosed with.

• 3 years later...
Guest Stranger

I've seen several posts regarding psoriasis and eczema, and I'm a little confused about what the bottom line is. My story:

- Trained pilot (16 years flying)

- 3 reddish dry skin patches on back, approx. 2 inches in diameter, been there for a LONG time; they don't itch, wouldn't even know they're there if I didn't see them in a mirror every now and then. They've never caused a problem with any kind of flight clothing or chem gear, and I've worn it all.

- Have never mentioned them to a flight surgeon because they don't bother me, and what they don't know won't DQ me ;)

- Headed somewhere that (technically) requires smallpox vaccination (admin TDY, not a deployment)

- Went to get smallpox vaccine and doc gave me a "temporary contraindication for undiagnosed skin condition, possibly psoriasis" and said I should follow up with flight medicine

Question: If I bring this up to my flight doc, what are my chances of coming out of this situation still on flying status?

Thanks in advance.

Stranger

Guest ShortThrow

eczema is a dq from the Air Force period. The only way I have heard people getting around it is have an non AF doctor diagnose it as something else. Not sure about psoriasis...

Guest doctidy

Stranger:

Your odds are very, very good...90+%. You are a trained aviator. The AF has millions of dollars invested in you. You have a ton of operational expertise.

Guest PilotKD

I had a mild case of eczema when I was a teenager (on my face) that cleared up and never came back (although they say you never get rid of it). I never mentioned it during my FC1 and honestly I don't remember anything or anyone ever asking me if I had it. So, 3 years late I'm sent to the clinic to get my smallpox vaccine before I deploy to the desert and I read that people who've had eczema should not get the smallpox vaccine. I told public health that I may have a problem and they sent me to talk to the flight doc. After reading through some regs, the flight doc gave me a waiver that allowed me not to get the smallpox vaccine unless there was a life threatening smallpox outbreak (highly unlikely). Almost a year later, I'm still on flight status. I wouldn't worry about it.

• 4 years later...
Guest jonnyreb51

I have been a pilot for 6 years diagnosed with psioriasis. I am under the impression that there are some medicines available to the public that I cannot try, if I plan on keeping my wings,,,I have seen some shots come on TV that can relieve this condition but I dont know if I can request it...any answers on what I can do to keep the wings but take care of this?

Thanks

Bubba

I have been a pilot for 6 years diagnosed with psioriasis. I am under the impression that there are some medicines available to the public that I cannot try, if I plan on keeping my wings,,,I have seen some shots come on TV that can relieve this condition but I dont know if I can request it...any answers on what I can do to keep the wings but take care of this?

Thanks

Bubba

OK, let me get this straight. You are a USAF pilot and have been for 6 years? A flight doc diagnosed you with psoriasis and has not given you anything to treat it with or you are just not happy with the results? Either way you want to try something else that you think may permanently DNIF you?

The answer that allows you to "keep the wings but take care of this" are talk to your flight doc about your concerns. Find out what his short-term and long-term treatment plans are. You said, "I don't know if I can request it". What does that mean? You think you will get DNIF'd for asking about a particular medical treatment? WTF?

• 9 years later...

I was flagged for psoriasis at MEPS for a red mark on the back of my neck near my hairline. I saw a dermatologist that said it could be that and did a couple UV treatments, but the spot healed on its own.  When the spot was on me, I had recently had my hair bleached and was chemically burned. After the dermatologist's diagnosis, I was permanently disqualified. I then saw two additional dermatologists that said I did not have psoriasis. After submitting the new doctors letters, I was still disqualified. I recently saw the original dermatologist that gave me the diagnosis and he said that after an evaluation that it was most likely a reaction to the hair bleaching and not psoriasis. 

How can I move forward to receive a waiver to overturn my disqualification?