Ear issues (Pain, ringing, tinnitus, tubes, perforations)

So did you get the procedure done? and if so were you able to take your FC1?
I found another public link to the waiver guide (see my signature). Check out the section titled "Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and Otitis Media."
Other procedures such as adenoid resection and laser eustachian tuboplasty have also shown a mix of success and failure in treating ETD. Thus, regardless of whether medically or surgically treated, and regardless of specific etiology, the outcome of any treatment for ETD needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis to determine the presence of acceptable ET function. This is especially true in the aviator population.
You would likely have gotten a waiver (if your condition was serious enough and caught at the time of your IFC and you had the procedure earliy on and the procedure fixed the condition). But getting any procedure now would DNIF for several months, and then the waiver would later be submitted and might take around 45 days on it's own. You're best bet is to try to resolve these acute issues, and later be evaluated for possible recurrent/chronic ear conditions. Edited by deaddebate
  • Upvote 1

I found another public link to the waiver guide (see my signature). Check out the section titled "Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and Otitis Media."You would likely have gotten a waiver (if your condition was serious enough and caught at the time of your IFC and you had the procedure earliy on and the procedure fixed the condition). But getting any procedure now would DNIF for several months, and then the waiver would later be submitted and might take around 45 days on it's own. You're best bet is to try to resolve these acute issues, and later be evaluated for possible recurrent/chronic ear conditions.

Doc, very helpful thanks for the info...

I found another public link to the waiver guide (see my signature). Check out the section titled "Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and Otitis Media."You would likely have gotten a waiver (if your condition was serious enough and caught at the time of your IFC and you had the procedure earliy on and the procedure fixed the condition). But getting any procedure now would DNIF for several months, and then the waiver would later be submitted and might take around 45 days on it's own. You're best bet is to try to resolve these acute issues, and later be evaluated for possible recurrent/chronic ear conditions.

http://www.enttoday.org/details/article/496989/Eustachian_Tuboplasty_A_Potential_New_Option_for_Chronic_Tube_Dysfunction_and_Pa.html

Again we don't give out medical advice publicly, but the above article has more info on the procedure.

Aero medically if you had this condition and you were going IFC 1 they would take a long hard look at you, probably ACS eval, and they would wait probably years after the surgery since the restenosis rates are high, meaning it may come back. You're also looking at long term anti inflammatories like steroid inhalers which is not ok for class 1 but waiver able

For trained asset you are looking at prolonged DNIF but i could see acs clearing someone for low performance acft. This is one of those special times when you get to be a trailblazer. I always thought it was cool when I brought an aviator back to flying (something) by challenging the reg. EDIT disclaimer, things might not work out. Good luck

Edited by Motrin

• 6 years later...