?s on ADD/ADHD - Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorder (Ritalin)

Murph

Hey FlightDoc (or anyone else intimately familiar with the standards prescribed in afi 48-123)....

Will having a prescription for ritalin, as a result of being diagnosed with ADHD while in middle and high school, disqualify me for an FC1? I havent received a prescription since I left high school and am beginning to think it was a mis-diagnosis to begin with since my grades have actually improved post-secondary education (not that all that matters really, or does it?).

Also...

I'm filling out my paperwork for MEPS and have a few questions regarding the Yes or No responses. Maybe I'm being over-analytical but, questions like "Have you ever had allergies?" ... I havent had hay fever or been allergic to pollen but I have an allergy to Sulfa-based drugs, would me being allergic to Sulfa require a Yes response to allergies?

Thanks flight doc!

[ 12 November 2002, 12:19: Message edited by: Flight Doc ]

Guest Flight Doc

1. ADHD/Ritalin, etc

Waivers for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are a very “case by case” issue. You need to be off the medication and functioning well in an academic or occupational environment for AT LEAST a year. Further, they will need detailed information on the circumstances of your workup and diagnosis, academic function over your school years, etc.

There have been some places and times where this diagnosis is made fairly liberally and it could be argued, questionably.

Depending on such factors, you may or may not be a reasonable waiver candidate.

2. Allergies

Yes, they do want all allergies, such as an allergy to penicillin, X-ray contrast dye, or sulfa drugs. This has nothing to do with qualification or not, it has to do with knowing what you’re allergic to in case they are considering giving you a medication and you happen not to be in a condition to tell the doc your allergy (e.g., unconscious from a car wreck).

I have some additional questions in response to the ADHD waiver process. Number one, how would I go about "proving" my case in something as ambiguous as this. Would it be as simple as bringing in a set of transcripts with good grades after I was off the medication? Or would it be as cumbersome as the spanish inquisition? Also, I'm not sure if it matters or not but my AFOQT scores and PCSM are decent (97 and 99) and are a product of me being OFF the medication, would that factor into the decision to grant me a waiver? Again, the presence of my ADHD was so minimal that I am beginning to think it was a mis-diagnosis (again, not sure if that means anything since I'm not a flight doc or surgeon).

Number two, so I don't waste bandwidth and your time, do you have any additional literature (AFIs, websites, etc) other than AFI 48-123 that I can read to familiarize myself with not only the waiver process involved (what i need to do etc,) but also what the chances of obtaining a waiver are based on my individual set of circumstances.

For any other folks out there with a similar condition or set of circumstances, I found some URL's that may help with obtaining a waiver specific to ADHD..

The first of which is the Waiver Guidelines at Brooks. This delineates the problems and effects of ADHD and gives a broad explanation of how it pertains to performance in UPT and obtaining an FC1.

http://quicksand.brooks.af.mil/web/af/afc/table.htm

The second is a statement from AETC HQ. It explains the four fold process for obtaining a waiver. Pretty straight forward stuff and encouraging for people who think they "grew out" of the condition.

https://www.afms.mil/aetcsg/SGPS/links/adhd.pdf

Any ideas on what requirements are necessary to fulfill the standards for passing a FC1? In other words, from your experience, what have these "case by case" situations demanded of the applicant? Neurological tests? Time in office with a psychologist? Thanks Flight Doc!

Guest Flight Doc

A word of caution. The ADHD policy letter is for people entering the AF, not for FC I. You need to meet these requirements as a minimum. It represents requirement to get in the AF. FC I, FC IA, FC II, or FC III applicants with a history of ADHD are considered on a case-by-case basis.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Flight Doc

They will want evidence of good function without medication. This includes positive educational or occupational capability without need for medication as well as the absence of signs of problems with impulse control.

So, the main thing they’ll need is academic/work history and medical records germane to the ADHD issue. They may or may not want neuropsychological testing. This evaluates verbal and performance IQ. They’re the same tests that are sometimes needed after head injury to ensure you didn’t have points shaved off your IQ by the injury.

• 1 year later...

Two months ago, I was awarded a waiver for a history of AD/HD [resolved].

Currently, there are a disproportionate amount of waiver applicants for a history of AD/HD. My hope in this posting is to cast light upon a previously mysterious waiver process.

The application process remains the same as previously mentioned--my suggestion is to have all of above criteria in hand when mentioning it to one's recruiter or flight doc. It eliminates on average of 1-2 months worth of otherwise necessary paperwork requests.

In my opinion, I was granted waiver for two reasons:

1 - I received a note from the physician (military) who originally diagnosed me stating that currently I am free of symptoms and that I had his full endorsement to attend flight school.

2 - My recruiter. He was instrumental in the process by efficiently maintaining and keeping track of the paperwork.

Good luck to all and feel free to PM me with any questions surrounding the previously uncharted waters of AD/HD waivers.

Hello,

I am curious about ADD specifically. Is there any recourse for an adult who might be diagnosed w/ ADD? Especially, if you are already in an enlisted flying field? What if you are prescried a non-stimulant such as stratera (new to the market)?

Thank you

The key in your case is to meet parts (a) and (B) of the waiver information requirements found below. In my opinion, you may be hard pressed to find a waiver if you are currently suffering from ADD. Currently, many well respected clinicians feel that AD/HD is incompatible with aircrew duties. The reason for the disproportionate number of ADD waivers stems from an incorrect or baseless diagnosis in the past.

(a) Must be off medication( e.g.,Ritalin) for a minimum of one year;

(B) Current note from primary care provider / Mental Health validating stable status with

condition, must summarize the diagnosis, history of treatment, and should rule out any residua of

ADHD;

© Evidence of successful academic and work endeavors while off medication; and

(d) Evidence that applicant was not provided classroom aids such as a private study

area, special tutors, additional time to complete assignments or tests.

Personally, I'd check out the DSM-IV (APA's list of psychiatric disorders and how to diagnose them) at your local library (or perhaps online?) and take a look for yourself at the questions a clinician will ask you to determine your status. Also, don't stop at the checklist, read the entire etiology, subtypes, et al. That may give you a better idea where you stand--this certainly doesn't substitute for a medical opinion, but it's a start.

• 2 years later...
Guest kevinsmith

I took my F1CA in November at WPAFB. Just recently they said that part of the reason that it is taking so long to get a result is they were unsure if I needed a waiver for ritalin usage. They were going to send it to SG AF for determination. I've been off it for several years, since Nov 01, and have had a no diagnosis on any axis by a doc. Anybody know if I have any worries about getting/not getting the waiver. I already have one for commisioing into active duty. This main issue now is can I do flight duty with my history if ritalin usage?

Guest doctidy

I think you got your answer from the flight med clinic at WPAFB...it is not a slam dunk. It wasn't a slam dunk when you got commissioned. AETC will look at the specifics of your case and make a determination.

• 2 years later...

So it sounds like if you're already on flying status and operational, an ADHD diagnosis is gonna take you away from Air Force airplanes?

I've been trying to figure out what's going on, and it seems that ADHD is an accurate description for me.

But it's not like I can go to the doc and ask objectively, "hey doc, I have this friend who's a flyer and thinks he has ADHD. What's gonna happen to him?"

I looked up what AFI 48-123v2 said and other than that, I've found nothing except this thread

Thanks

So it sounds like if you're already on flying status and operational, an ADHD diagnosis is gonna take you away from Air Force airplanes?

I've been trying to figure out what's going on, and it seems that ADHD is an accurate description for me.

But it's not like I can go to the doc and ask objectively, "hey doc, I have this friend who's a flyer and thinks he has ADHD. What's gonna happen to him?"

I looked up what AFI 48-123v2 said and other than that, I've found nothing except this thread

Thanks

II. Aeromedical Concerns.

Typically, significant problems will become manifest well before an individual is considered as an applicant for aviation service, and the individual will not be selected for flying duties on the basis of aptitude or poor performance on other screening tests (such as AFOQT). Thus, there are specific AF Instructions and AETC procedures for applicants with LD or ADHD (AFI 48-123, A7.24.2.4 and .5). Additionally, it is unlikely that a person with a severe learning disability will be able to successfully complete rigorous aviation training. Features associated with ADHD in adults could have a negative impact in the aviation environment, and could cause one to be found unfit for flying duties. Complaints may come to the attention of the flight surgeon through the reports of spouses, supervisors, colleagues or other aircrew. A confirmed diagnosis of LD or ADHD is disqualifying for flying class (FC) II duties. A history of a learning disorder or ADHD is not necessarily disqualifying. Severity and nature of the disorder should be documented. In addition, psychiatric diagnoses made during childhood are occasionally found to be unsubstantiated in light of a careful, accurate history. This is particularly true if the service member has had no symptoms since early childhood. Stimulant medication such as methylphenidate (Ritalin), dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine), and pemoline (Cylert), is incompatible with aviation duty.

III. Information Required for Waiver Submission.

A. Mental health evaluation summary, specifically including psychological and neuropsychological evaluation reports (with their raw data), and any pertinent past medical or mental health records

B. Any pertinent current neurological or other medical consultation reports

C. Aeromedical summary detailing any social, occupational, administrative or legal problems, including an analysis of the aeromedical implications of this particular case history

D. For FC II, a letter from the flier’s aviation supervisor or commander supporting a return to flying status

IV. Waiver Considerations.

A 15-year (1981-1996) review of the ACS Cover Sheet File revealed that three pilots (FC II) were diagnosed with learning disabilities; one was recommended for disqualification from flying duties. One of the non-disqualified fliers (a previously competent flier) was evaluated at the ACS because of inability to upgrade into higher performance aircraft. In this case, a recommendation was made to limit flying duties to the lower performance aircraft based on prior adequate performance and on the assumption that this aircraft required a lower speed of information processing. Further, a 15-year (1981-1996) review of the Aircrew Waiver File included the disqualification of four aircrew members (not FC II) with adult ADHD that were currently being treated with stimulant medication. Over the past three years (as of Oct 1999) AETC has evaluated three FC I/IA packages with a diagnosis of ADHD; all three were given a waiver for training. Waiver may be considered for aircrew with a history of LD or ADHD, providing they are symptom free, have not manifested a degradation of their performance of aircrew duties, and have not taken medication for the disorder for the past 12 months.

• 1 month later...
Guest CuriousGeorgex2

I'm gonna' make this short and simple: I was diagnosed with ADD and OCD at the age of 7, and I've been taking meds for the two 'til 17. It is time for everyone to tell me how screwed I am. I've heard that the AF is VERY strict on this issue, while other services (Navy) are a little more laxed? Is there any hope for me at all? Anyone experience this issue?

Thank you

I'll be to the point. You are going to have difficulties without a doubt. This doesn't mean, don't apply. I applied with a medical past and was able to get a waiver. This entailed getting a psych eval at an AF base. It was a simple sit down meeting with a psych to discuss where I was at and see what my circumstances were.

I'm not a pilot yet, and haven't earned a slot yet either. I can't tell you much of whats going to happen at Brooks, but I can tell you to apply.

For the record, the Marines and Navy are far more strict on medical history. The AF only asks to see copies of medication forms from your doctor, while the Navy and Marines will ask for your ENTIRE medical documents in case they send your stuff to NOMI (which they probably will).

The best thing you can do is go into ROTC and come clean, but be professional. If the cadre see potential in you and can tell you really want to be there, you might get a waiver.

The duration of your med use is what will screw you over the most. If you've taken meds from 7 to 17, your chances are low, but don't give up. Apply and see what happens. Worrying about it will do you no good. You'll never know if you don't apply. Just like, you'll never score points off shots you don't take.

Go big man.

Guest Toastrider

Not a flight doc, but I've been to Brooks. The AF will require you to elaborate on anything you mark down as "yes" on the pre-physical questionnaires. By elaborate, I mean send them ALL the medical paperwork you've had on any of those issues.

Unfortunately, they do not take into account how good of a cadet/applicant you are. You can have the most glowing letters of recommendation or be number 1 of 200 in your Detachment but if you aren't medically qualified (and can't get a waiver) for flying, you're out of luck. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

Have you looked at the AF Waiver guide (the Navy has a similar version too I believe)? You can probably find it by doing a search on these forums. Back when I was stressing out about my physical, I pretty much read through that entire thing to see if I could get waivers for some things in my medical history..it answered a lot of my questions. As said above, I'm afraid your problem is going to be the length of time you took the meds for, but I'm completely unqualified so hopefully a flight doc chimes in.

Guest CuriousGeorgex2

Yeah, but the duration of me taking the meds for 10 years was a constant on/off process, so I was probably actually on the meds less than 2 years straight. I just did so much better without the meds. To be honest, I think this ADD BS is a scam cleverly pulled out by pharmaceutical companies. It was well done; they need their profits. Anyway, sorry about pulling this up again. I am a senior in H.S, and every 3 months I get a rage for aviation. I've been trying to kill it forever, but the bug keeps coming back, and I'm on here or another military avition website trying to find loopholes out of this mess. Even so, it just doesen't seem possible, if only I could get the my pill pusher psychologist to burn them. I would want nothing more than to be a pilot; I would do anything to be in the AF or ANG, but my med records are killing me. It is really funny, because I have no problems concentrating "good grades," and the OCD is minimal; I mean minimal "just obsess about my career." I just fell victim to an overly worried single mother, who had a son with an attitude problem at 6-7 years old, then a week later I'm in a shrink's office for 3 mins. The next thing you know I'm on Ritilan; crooks.

Any more input? I appreciate guys; I should be on here in another 3 months. :P

Yeah, but the duration of me taking the meds for 10 years was a constant on/off process, so I was probably actually on the meds less than 2 years straight. I just did so much better without the meds. To be honest, I think this ADD BS is a scam cleverly pulled out by pharmaceutical companies. It was well done; they need their profits. Anyway, sorry about pulling this up again. I am a senior in H.S, and every 3 months I get a rage for aviation. I've been trying to kill it forever, but the bug keeps coming back, and I'm on here or another military avition website trying to find loopholes out of this mess. Even so, it just doesen't seem possible, if only I could get the my pill pusher psychologist to burn them. I would want nothing more than to be a pilot; I would do anything to be in the AF or ANG, but my med records are killing me. It is really funny, because I have no problems concentrating "good grades," and the OCD is minimal; I mean minimal "just obsess about my career." I just fell victim to an overly worried single mother, who had a son with an attitude problem at 6-7 years old, then a week later I'm in a shrink's office for 3 mins. The next thing you know I'm on Ritilan; crooks.

Any more input? I appreciate guys; I should be on here in another 3 months. :P

Alright...let's make sure we separate some facts from rumor...I won't/can't speak for the other services...the Air Force will want to see all of your treatment documents...you'll need them for DODMERB (have them ready) and in a few years you'll need them for Brooks (or where ever you get your exam)...if you've been off the meds for a year or more and have maintained a successful academic track (which can be implied if your still a pilot candidate and still in ROTC)...then I wouldn't sweat the FCI exam at all...if you need a waiver it should be an easy one to get...as long as there is no "Paul Harvey's...rest of the story"!

Don't look for loopholes...you don't need them...I would choose your words "rage...kill...obsess...victim...crooks" more carefully though...shit happens...be up front, honest, and the rest should fall into place...you keep sounding angry at the world then you may have difficulty getting past an Adaptabily Rating "ARMA"...when you can...get a current eval that explains the entire history and the fact that you've been off the meds for "X" amount of years and have shown no drop in your academic and social skills...have that ready for your exam processes.

Forgive spelling errors...I don't have spell check and I'm too damned lazy to look anything up!

• 11 months later...
Guest Neptune

Im really tired right now so excuse my poor grammar if there is any.

I recently payed a visit to my doctor and asked about joining AFROTC as well as becoming a pilot in the USAF. I asked her if my medication would affect me being eligible to enter. She said that the disqualifying medications are stimulants, such as riddalyn. I am taking this other medication currently (I forget the name, something not very well heard of) that is NOT a stimulant. This is because I have a very minor form of ADD, but I was suggested to take it. She says that she is pretty sure that it wont get in my way, but I should check into it. You guys are the only ones I really know to turn to on this issue, so any help would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure you have to be off any and all treatment for ADD/ADHD for at least a year and you need to be able to show the ability to function without it to quality for military service. This means being able to keep good grades, hold down jobs, behaving well, etc...

And even then they have to make the decision on whether or not to allow you to serve. It's a case-by-case scenario.

I'm pretty sure you have to be off any and all treatment for ADD/ADHD for at least a year and you need to be able to show the ability to function without it to quality for military service. This means being able to keep good grades, hold down jobs, behaving well, etc...

And even then they have to make the decision on whether or not to allow you to serve. It's a case-by-case scenario.

Larry Mullen,Deputy Director, DoDMERB participates on another forum. He's a pretty good source to ask about medical disqualifications. He is usually very responsive to questions. The following is a copy of his post on the best method to contact him. You only need to supply the last four of your ssn if you have a pending dodmerb review.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For your information:

For many of the newcomers to the Forums. I am prohibited access to the Forums during the workday while working at USAFA. Therefore, I can only access late at night; weekends; holidays; and while on leave.

Private Messaging is far too difficult for me to handle, given the above.

Therefore, if anyone has a direct question, they can send me an email. "If" they are already an applicant, send me your full name and last 4 SSN to Larry.Mullen@dodmerb.tma.osd.mil. I have a laptop, BlackBerry, and I-phone. Unless in a meeting or a similar tasking, I'm usually very responsive...and far more responsive than my having to use the Forums.

Larry Mullen

Deputy Director, DoDMERB

Larry.Mullen@dodmerb.tma.osd.milAvailable 24/7/365

90% of my responses are within the hour

100% of responses are within 24 hours

• 3 months later...
Guest RaptorOhEight22

Greetings, I am very interested in going into the AF and flying fighters, which has been my number one goal for most of my life. However, I am diagnosed with severe ADD and I have been on/off medication for about 6 years, the last time was around this time of 2009. I'm not going to lie when I say that I have an extremely poor academic record; in High School the highest GPA i got was 3.1. I did incredibly bad in HS which ruined my chances of going to the Academy (or any 4-year University) straight out of it. I'm currently in Community College right now, taking 4 classes and struggling to work on my grades so I can possibly get myself in a position to apply.

My questions are, do I still have a chance at even becoming an officer, and what steps (if any) can I/should I be taking to get a waiver? Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...
Guest kingneptune117

in august they changed the number of years you have to be off add meds to 24 months according to larry mullen. also, he told me that just because you havent been off of it for 24 months, doesnt mean you cant get a waiver. he said it is just a number that they made.

• 11 years later...

Any of our flight docs care to provide an update of where the process stands today 2022? 

14 year old son diagnosed age 8 with mild ADD, no hyperactivity, just focus.  Prescribed 10MG Adderall XR. No side effects, has been straight A's, 4.24 GPA, all Honors/AP classes, National Honor society etc ever since.  

He wants to got to college then UPT (god help me), so trying to get a better understanding of what the current regs require for time off meds, waiver requirement and such.

Thanks

• Upvote 2