Motorcycles on AD

Guest CurbyNBK

Guest CurbyNBK

Ok, so I graduate/commission in Dec of this year. I got my pilot slot through ROTC this year and will be heading that way after the first of next year. My concern is, is that I have heard some bad things about the Air Force and not allowing bikes. Granted, most of the things I have heard are from an officer that hates bikes. So, what has everybody seen on AD out there? I know that UPT will be very busy but is there at least some time to ride?

Many thanks in advance ;)

You will have time to ride on the weekends, a good way to blow off steam. However, you will have to make time to attend a motorcycle safety course and take a road test. They will attempt to discourage you at every point because the Air Force loses a lot of people each year to motorcycle accidents. Bottom-line, you can ride, but they will make it difficult for you.

Guest CurbyNBK

when you say 'difficult' how do you mean difficult? what do they do? do they put your bike on stands and steel your wheels? just kidding bout that last part

Guest skipplet

From what clearedhot said, I understand that difficult means they make you take safety classes and a road test. To the point: they make you do a lot of shit that a civilian wouldn't have to do.

Guest Jollygreen

Gen Myers rides. Gen Jumper rides. And more then a couple of MAJCOM/CCs ride.

MCs are not discouraged by the senior leadership. However there is a requirement for you to complete a certified training course.

That is indeed more then what "civilians" have to accomplish ... but it also makes sense.

See ya on the next Rolling Thunder tour.

Guest lostitall

Curby,

Here at Luke AFB in AZ, to ride the bike ON BASE, you MUST have a motorcycle endorsement on your license, you MUST complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course - which is provided free on base once a month or so, and you have to wear a helmet (duh), reflective vest, gloves, long sleeved shirt, pants, and shoes that are above the ankle. It doesn't matter the material--as long as it covers the areas listed. You could wear jogging pants, and it'd be okay...just as long as it is there.

Of course, all this clothing gets hot during the 110-120 heat the Phoenix valley provides...

But of course, the protective gear requirements are enforced only while 'on base.' Off base, do what you want...just don't get in an accident. If you get injured or killed, and you aren't wearing the required protective equipment, you might have your benefits revoked--line of duty determination.

1) Motorcycle endorsement on license

2) MSF course

3) Gear requirements

I love my CBR, and thus, put up with the requirements...

--josh

Guest CurbyNBK

Raptr~

No problem wearing all that stuff...I do anyway. I hear there is a pretty good track there next to the base for some track days. Is that true?

Thanks for all the help!

P.S. I love my bike too!!!

I watched a few guys get hurt doing stupid things in UPT, most simply washed back, but one was medically disqualified for a stupid accident.

Just my opinion, but I wanted to become a pilot ever since I watched my old man fly an F-4 up intial on his way back from Vietnam. You may be an expert on the bike, but if it were me I would focus on UPT for a year and hit the race track once I had my wings.

Like stated above the AF makes you take safety courses to ride on base and such. I personally feel that everyone should take MSF courses, miltary or civilian. It is a great class to teach basic skills that are needed to operate a motorcycle (cruiser, sportbike, supermotard...any bike).

But don't stop learning how to ride once the class is done, buy some books on riding techniques, and such ("Street Riding Tecniques" by Nick Ientasch is a great book). take a class on a closed course, attend a race school. Anything you can do to sharpen your skills will make you a much safer and better rider.

BUY GEAR....who cares how hot it is. you may be warm during a ride in city traffic, but once moving on back roads you will be comfortable. Yes quality gear is expensive, but a skin graph is MUCH more expensive, not to mention painfull.

I also agree with not riding during UPT...you will have plenty of time afterwards!!!!! I suggest riding on the race track only....much safer than street riding (NO cars, opposing traffic, cops, litter, deer...you name it!!!)

Its a ton of fun....only flying beats the thrill of draggin knee while leaned over in a sweeping turn...brings a smile to my face thinking about it!!!

075.jpg

077.jpg

076.jpg

[ 15. June 2004, 02:42: Message edited by: Jalberts ]

Guest CurbyNBK

Jalberts~

I already took the MSF course a few years ago. How do I prove that I took the course? Do I need that card they gave me? Because if I do, then where can I get a replacement?

I have read Twist of the Wrist vol II three times now and am in the process of reading it a fourth. I also picked up Total Control but have only read that once. I am also going to attend two different race schools in the fall.

I agree about the gear. I wear nothing less then a leather jacket, leather gloves, helmet, jeans and riding shoes by Joe Rocket with ankel protection.

BTW, nice leathers! And a nice bike too. I have gone on the test ride at every Bike Week and Biketoberfest for the past three years. I like the bike but it is a bit hot for my Florida riding and since I ride everyday, I need something that doesn't bake the inside of my legs.

Thanks for all the info and input.

Oh yeah, draggin knee is fun...as long as you are still holding onto the bike :rolleyes:

yeah the Aprilia does get hot, but you must remember that she is not made to ride in city traffic. She is made for twisty road riding, and racing. great bike though....Next bike will def be naother Aprilia.

what do you ride now???

Guest AirGuardian

Still squeezing the crap out of an older 95'CBR900RR right now. Looking at the 1000RR based on the 5 cylinder 500cc Honda GP model. Would be nice, but it's hard to part with my tried and true rocket for now. Maybe after a few more people scare themselves off of them, and then I'll capitalize on their over eagerness... Aprilla is a kick butt ride - eyeballing that new Duck, but the bill is kind of high. Nice pics on the RSV Jalberts - very smooth!

As far as the AD thing on motorcycle riders they can just sit back and watch!!! Rider course's are highly recommended since most eat the asphalt within 6 months of becoming "the best bike rider" ever... Just pretend your invisible and it will work out. Wouldn't ride too hard streetwise until after the AF has invested those UPT dollars for a safer measure though! :cool:

[ 15. June 2004, 16:46: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

Guest Siscojoe

As far as insurance goes on AD, does the military require it? I know its probably a good idea to have it anyway, but I thought I would ask...

P.S. I heard every 2004 1000cc out there will do a 9 second quarter mile or faster...any knowledge as to how true that is?

Are you talking auto insurance or life insurance? Proof of vehicle insurance is required to get your car/bike registered to drive on base. Life insurance is covered by SGLI (Serviceman's Group Life Insurance) if you choose to take it. It's like 15 bucks a month.

Guest lostitall

Curby,

I've never been to one of the track days here in Phoenix with my bike, but supposedly there are at least two places where there are weekend track days--Firebird International Raceway and supposedly Phoenix International Raceway (PIR).

Don't quote me on it, but that's what I remember.

There is also another place near Luke where you can run a 1/4 mile under the clock and also have your bike dyno'ed. Just for bragging rights.

Lots of stuff to do on a bike in Phx (Luke).

Guest CurbyNBK

Sisqo~

2004 liter bikes:

1/4 mile:

Yami R1 10.95@132.64

Suzook GSXR1000 11.72@133.21

Kawi ZX10R 11.64@132.57

Honda CBR1000RR 11.27@136.84

Ducati 999s 11.54@129.81

Aprilia Factory 11.52@130.67

I have ridin the ZX10R. That bike is a missle! It is way too much for the street. I only got to get on it once and I never even got out of 1st gear when I did that. It'll do 104mph in first. I never tested it though and I don't think anyone should for that matter...well on the street anyway...but on the track is a different story. Man...I really need to get to the track :(

In the 14 June edition of the Air Force Times (pg 6) there is a pic of Myers and his wife aboard their Harley-Davidson (yeah, I know this is a motorcycle thread but the CJCS riding IS a big deal, even if it is a H-D!)

Let me tell you, the times they are a changin'! I have had my Honda ST1100 for 13 years now and back when I first got it officers riding motorcycles wasn't a smart idea, although a lot did. I remember one of my early squadron commanders saying how he had to roll his bike down the street at his on-base housing complex in the early mornings as to not alert his neighbors that he actually rode. Nowadays we have Doc Fogelson actually doing safety commercials on AFN in Europe for motorcycles (granted with another Harley weenie, but as stated earlier seeing a four-star endorsing motorcycle safety is a great sign!).

By the way, the USAFE Chief of Safety, Col Scott Adams, also has a commercial on AFN for mountain bike safety, but he's a career Hawg driver so we all know he's cool!

Cheers! M2

Guest Siscojoe

Curby-

No joke thats what the 2004s are running? I know that is a pretty fast 1/4, but I expected a little more. Thanks for the update though.

Guest AirGuardian

Agree with Sisqo,

In the past the GSxer was also breaking into the 10's....? Are they slower (doubtful) or have the speed calibrations been inaccurate in the past? Either way your haulin tail with a twist of the wrist. I don't necessarily endorse this, but it was an interesting answer... People ask why a sport bike(or supercar for that matter) since most cars can break a 100 rather easily. Answer: Cus these baby's go 0-100-0 in the City - stoplight to stoplight. Not smart, but very doable!

MajorMadMax stated: "By the way, the USAFE Chief of Safety, Col Scott Adams, also has a commercial on AFN for mountain bike safety"

I wonder if that had to with our unfortunate accident early last year at ACSC with one of our students (Major Type). He was on a mountain bike when he fell off and basically fully paralyzed himself after the impact to the brain bucket! He was wearing a helmet which probably saved his life, but he is still trying to work things out in the hospital with little improvement! He's a fighter though and we all wish him well!

Just goes to show you when you think you're at the top of the world, it doesn't take much to turn it upside down. Whatever you ride, be safe out there...

Guest Siscojoe

Since we are on the subject, I want to ask you pilots that have have gone through UPT if you think it is a wise decision to own a rocket during UPT. Do you think its a big enough distraction to worry about? And if your in the dorms, are there places for indoor storage of a man's prized vehicle...? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any information on the riding course that is required to drive on base? How much is it? I will be taking it at Charleston AFB and cannot find any information on class times and dates. Also, can you get your license if you present the card of completion to the DMV or do you still have to take the road test?

You will have to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF, http://www.msf-usa.org/) course, either the basic or experienced rider versions. They are both free, but as flyinjunky said you will have to track down your unit or wing safety officer to get info. Also, the USAF version do not provide bikes as the MSF courses do (since they are free), but if you don't have a motorcycle I guess you can always take the civilian course. Either way, the MSF web site has tons of good info on what you'll be learning.

Good luck and have fun, but be safe!

Cheers! M2