Jump to content
Guest Viperfixer

TBAS Information

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, John3806 said:

Appreciate the input. With my current PCSM (77) at 21 hours, and my max PCSM of 96 if I had 201+ hours, the most I could raise my PCSM to given my hours would be like 79 or 80, right? Just want to make sure I'm thinking about this correctly. 

I'm not sure it works that way. The better you do on the TBAS the less your flight hours effect your PCSM. For instance if you blow it out of the water and get a PCSM of 90, 100 more flight hours might only increase it a point or two. Its a super dooper special  formula they use. 

If you are positive you can do better than by all means give it a shot, but just remember you can only take it twice and you always run the risk of lowering your score.

I would defiantly focus on finishing your PPL though, they say you don't have to have it finished but everyone that i've seen get hired (including myself) at least had a PPL and the majority had advanced ratings. I think its more important than some people might think.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personal opinion: If your 201+ column is in the high 80's and above, and everything else is solid, you should be good to go. I wouldn't retake with a 96 PCSM in the 201+ column quite yet. Keep visiting and applying, and ask for feedback. If the feedback is consistently "your PCSM is too low"... then consider retaking the TBAS.
 

Edited by tk1313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2017 at 1:21 PM, Heavywanabe said:

I'm not sure it works that way. The better you do on the TBAS the less your flight hours effect your PCSM. For instance if you blow it out of the water and get a PCSM of 90, 100 more flight hours might only increase it a point or two. Its a super dooper special  formula they use. 

If you are positive you can do better than by all means give it a shot, but just remember you can only take it twice and you always run the risk of lowering your score.

I would defiantly focus on finishing your PPL though, they say you don't have to have it finished but everyone that i've seen get hired (including myself) at least had a PPL and the majority had advanced ratings. I think its more important than some people might think.

  

So after weighing my options, I ended up retaking the TBAS on Saturday and raised my PCSM from 77 to 83 while my flight hours bracket of 21-40 did not change.  My max PCSM at 201+ hours would be 98. You were right Heavy, the scale is definitely not linear. I appreciate your advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2017 at 3:43 PM, tk1313 said:

Personal opinion: If your 201+ column is in the high 80's and above, and everything else is solid, you should be good to go. I wouldn't retake with a 96 PCSM in the 201+ column quite yet. Keep visiting and applying, and ask for feedback. If the feedback is consistently "your PCSM is too low"... then consider retaking the TBAS.
 

I ended up retaking the TBAS on Saturday and raising my PCSM from 77 to 83 and my 201+ column from 96 to 98. The main reason I decided to retake was to present and "all in" approach to the board. I'm 27 so I want to make sure I turn over every stone as I only have a couple years left to apply. I appreciate your advice TK1313.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting ready to take my TBAS testing this Friday. I have been using the flashcards, along with a small piece of paper I drew a compass rose on. Does anyone know if this is allowed to be used on the test? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if you could you won't have time to use it.  Learn how to solve the puzzles without a compass rose.  You need to be able to it in your head.

Funny those flash cards exist, when I took it like 3 years ago I had to sign all kinds of stuff saying if I talked about the content I'd go to jail.  Smoke em if you got em though.

Edited by extender10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, extender10 said:

Even if you could you won't have time to use it.  Learn how to solve the puzzles without a compass rose.  You need to be able to it in your head.

Funny those flash cards exist, when I took it like 3 years ago I had to sign all kinds of stuff saying if I talked about the content I'd go to jail.  Smoke em if you got em though.

I'll get it down without! Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need some help to what this TBAS is.  Im a flight instructor and have an AF pilot candidate coming in to add some flight hours to increase this PCSM score.  I understand the officer side that is a judge of math and more.  How does this TBAS relate to aviation?  Want to better judge his score and how it plays into  knowledge of aviation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, josh t said:

I need some help to what this TBAS is.  Im a flight instructor and have an AF pilot candidate coming in to add some flight hours to increase this PCSM score.  I understand the officer side that is a judge of math and more.  How does this TBAS relate to aviation?  Want to better judge his score and how it plays into  knowledge of aviation.

Let me google that for you.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×