U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

On 6/29/2023 at 1:01 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Why not?  They took a washed up FAIP who was his squadron commander's least favorite IP.  

I have few regrets from my career but not applying for the U-2 is one of them.  Was encouraged to try it by my former T-37 flight commander who ended up out there and after a basically hostile reaction from my ANG unit (“if you even apply, you’ll go nowhere here”), I never sent the app.  Coulda woulda shoulda! 😑

• 1 month later...

Generally speaking, how picky is the hiring board on flying history? When I was a young copilot I had an overzealous EP that gave me a couple downgrades on an inst/qual check - my only checkride with bad marks, and zero Q2/Q3s (so far 🙂 ). I've had a handful of clean check rides since then. Is that a clean kill on an application?

2 hours ago, The46IsntThatBad said:

Generally speaking, how picky is the hiring board on flying history? When I was a young copilot I had an overzealous EP that gave me a couple downgrades on an inst/qual check - my only checkride with bad marks, and zero Q2/Q3s (so far 🙂 ). I've had a handful of clean check rides since then. Is that a clean kill on an application?

A wise man once told me “don’t sweat the downgrades.” He’s since turned into what Huggy is now though, so take that for what it’s worth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The46IsntThatBad said:

Downgrades don't tend to be an issue, especially if it was when you were a young copilot. As jice said, don't sweat it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The46IsntThatBad said:

When questioned definitely put all blame on the EP

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Day Man said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion here: those images are absolutely terrible.  Obviously style is highly subjective and we all like what we like, but it’s such a shame the Air Force wasted such a unique and special opportunity when there are civilian and DoD professionals that specialize in taking air to air photos literally on the payroll.  Hopefully this at least opens the door for one of those pros to do it right one day soon..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KODAK said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion here: those images are absolutely terrible.  Obviously style is highly subjective and we all like what we like, but it’s such a shame the Air Force wasted such a unique and special opportunity when there are civilian and DoD professionals that specialize in taking air to air photos literally on the payroll.  Hopefully this at least opens the door for one of those pros to do it right one day soon..

a little more editing than I would prefer, agreed.

and don't we have professional photographers on the payroll? why weren't they selected?

On 9/7/2023 at 7:46 PM, Day Man said:

a little more editing than I would prefer, agreed.

and don't we have professional photographers on the payroll? why weren't they selected?

On the active-duty side there are enlisted Combat Camera photographers; when I was in Bahrain flying the MH-53E in 2021 we had an Air Force CC photographer that came out on det and got some great air to air and air to ground images.  Additionally, the USAF flight test locations (Edwards and Eglin specifically) have full-time civilian flight test photographers that specialize in air to air documentary photo and video.  To fly a ‘celebrity’ photog with no background in air to air photography is sort of a slap in the face to the professionals who work incredibly hard day in and day out to share the mission of the Air Force, at least in my humble opinion.

Edited by KODAK
  • Upvote 2

I don't know if it applies to this situation... but during my AF career, I observed that dealing with our own internal organizations was incredibly painful and bureaucratic... and the results often didn't meet the expected outcome.  

In so many cases, it was better to go with an outside source.  

• Upvote 2

According to the photographer, he used zero filters for the airborne shots. 🤔 The others look like those AI-generated "real-life" pics of cartoon characters.  

• Like 1

I don’t care for these particular “artistic effects,” but my experience has been pro aviation photogs on the civ side produce much better pictures than the mil photogs. Not saying the mil guys are horrible, but sorry, some E-3/4 with a few years in is not the same as the guy who’s been doing this for 10-20 years professionally.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 8:45 PM, brabus said:

I don’t care for these particular “artistic effects,” but my experience has been pro aviation photogs on the civ side produce much better pictures than the mil photogs. Not saying the mil guys are horrible, but sorry, some E-3/4 with a few years in is not the same as the guy who’s been doing this for 10-20 years professionally.

All fair points - I guess I should have said that the broader DoD has competent, capable, and eminently experienced air to air photographers available for a sortie like this even if it’s not Senior Airman Timmy from the 69th Combat Camera squadron.  Edwards and Eglin have multiple civilian and military professionals who do air to air work full-time and would frankly have killed for a chance to shoot photos like this..  With their technical ability and know-how already as a given I’m certain they would have come back with better results from this once-in-a-lifetime flight.

The behind the scenes video made it fairly clear that the civilian PAO who chose Blair for this flight was a fan of his - I think we all know that’s the way the real world works, and I have no issue with that.  Over bake as many static photos of a U-2 as you like (“those who can do, those who can’t oversaturate their shots in Photoshop”), but he clearly had/ has zero experience in air to air photography which is the only skillset that actually matters here.  When we (DoD) burn cool opportunities like these with influencer types there’s very little gain in the long run, but it also makes it immeasurably harder for the actual professionals to do good work in the future.  I guess that’s my frustration.

Edited by KODAK

First of all, Blair worked with the Canadian Snowbirds and they were very happy with his work.  

Second, I personally don't believe the AF needs a section of Combat Camera to do air-to-air photography.  Paying salary, TDY, retirement, disability... is unnecessary.  There are plenty of people in the AF that can do great work.  We have a pilot in our squadron that has a college degree in photography and does incredible work.  Simply keep a database of these folks and use them.  Or hire known civilians, like Paul Bowen, who is considered one of the best in the world.  https://www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org/paul_bowen.html

I believe that any photographer would like for people to see their final product, and know it came from them just by looking at it.  In that area, Blair has succeeded.  His style is unique.  

Finally, I see a few of y'all do not like the final product from Blair's shoot.  Outside of BO.net, I've yet to hear someone say anything but very good things about the shots.  I plan to get some printed up for the squadron.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/7/2024 at 3:50 PM, Springer said:

Jan 4 U-2 Elephant Walk...which one are you in Huggy? 

U2.png

Nice!