U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

On 6/29/2020 at 12:33 PM, BirdUp said:

Do you think there is utility in the unit having a FAIP program for the companion training T-38's? 

The two pilots that were selected for the FACT were excellent choices.  We all hope they continue to excel. 

I've got quite a few thoughts on the pros and cons of the FACT assignment in general, but it would be inappropriate for me to do so on this forum.  

Edited by HuggyU2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 6:57 AM, jice said:

They also graduated their second WIC class yesterday. They’ve got people who get it in charge and being invited to the right seats at the right tables.  Pay attention to Beale, and apply if you want to be part of a revolution in ISR. 

All good stuff, but the former Wg/CC also made some questionable civilian hiring decisions. Huggy, care to comment?

Edited by Spoo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Spoo said:

All good stuff, but the former Wg/CC also made some questionable civilian hiring decisions. Huggy, care to comment?

Well, yeah. I mean... notice the date on that post? That “good stuff” wasn’t about the FORMER wing commander... 🙃

3 hours ago, Spoo said:

Huggy, care to comment?

The former 9 RW/CC was brilliant, and a man of impeccable style and taste. Nothing "questionable" about his decisions.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/23/2020 at 7:38 PM, Breckey said:

Why did they censor the tail code. It's not like they're everywhere.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  OPSEC!  🤣🤣🤣

On 7/23/2020 at 7:38 PM, Breckey said:
On 7/23/2020 at 7:00 PM, ImNotARobot said:

Why did they censor the tail code. It's not like they're everywhere.

1 hour ago, M2 said:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  OPSEC!  🤣🤣🤣

Exactly. Did you not get the new SecAF OPSEC email at 4:30 on a Friday telling us worker bees with so many ties to the media to stop leaking info?

• Upvote 1

Retired Lt. Col Jonathan Huggins, 1st Reconnaissance Squadron U-2 instructor pilot, performs a preflight inspection before takeoff. It’s been 2,133 days since he last flew the U-2 solo.

“As a civilian instructor pilot in the 1st Recon Squadron, I’m focused on working with the newest U-2 trainees, and getting them proficient at the basics of flying the U-2. I’ve missed it. The fact I’m getting to come work here again, with the people I love to work with, in a jet and a mission I love to be involved with, well, it’s just a dream come true. You realize when you’ve been gone a while just how great the people are, and how satisfying it is to be a part of an organization that gets the job done, and that it’s a job that is so critical and important to the nation.”

Beale AFB Facebook

Edit: Beale AFB 'News' link

Edited by MichaelBuckle
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 1:35 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Total military time is about 7,300 hours.

4,100 sorties.  

Roughly 1/3 of those hours/sorties are trips to and from OshKosh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Super cool podcast just dropped today from the guys at fighter pilot podcast! Description of takeoff is goddamn insane, getting airborne in 300 ft, then at 10,000 AGL by the end of the runway?!?! That’s absolutely nutter butters 😵

So many interesting nuggets, rich history, and great stories in this:

https://www.fighterpilotpodcast.com/episodes/093-u-2-dragon-lady/