U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

13 hours ago, Guardian said:

That’s pretty incredible. How many airframes over how many years?

They were built in 3 batches; all of the ones built in the 50s are in museums or were crashed/shot down. Of a batch built in the 70s (the much larger R models), 4 remain which have been updated as S models. The newest batch was built between 81-89, which brings the currently operating total to around 30. NASA has 2 more of those.

Edit: in looking through it further, I thought it was interesting that some didn’t make it into active service until after the Soviet Union dissolved.

Edited by Majestik Møøse

13 minutes ago, Majestik Møøse said:

They were built in 3 batches; all of the ones built in the 50s are in museums or were crashed/shot down. Of a batch built in the 70s (the much larger R models), 4 remain which have been updated as S models. The newest batch was built between 81-89, which brings the currently operating total to around 30. NASA has 2 more of those.

Edit: in looking through it further, I thought it was interesting that some didn’t make it into active service until after the Soviet Union dissolved.

around a dozen that didn't become U-2S or ER-2s

104 aircraft built

104' wingspan

F-104 cockpit.

If you see one in a museum or on a pole, it was one of the 55 smaller A/C models.  The last of those flew in '87.  

The big-wing jets:  12 built originally, then 37 more built in the 80's (as mentioned above), with the last jet being delivered Oct 1989.  

History info:  short read with updated info on the Powers shutdown.  Good stuff.  https://dragonladyhistory.com/2020/05/01/u-2-mayday-shootdown-gary-powers/

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

It only took 20 years to make it happen.  But it happened... finally.  

Another success to chalk up for the current leadership at Beale.  Well done.  It's a great time to be in the 9th.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 7:25 AM, HuggyU2 said:

For those looking for some good U-2 history:  https://dragonladyhistory.com/

Chris knows more about the entire U-2 history than probably anyone on the planet.  I met him 30 years ago when he was snooping around the U-2 squadron in England, back when I was the Bar Officer. 

Chris also has a great blog for U-2 news: https://dragonladytoday.com/forum-3/

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

9RW/CC Change of Command today.  

Two back-to-back U-2 pilots as the Wing Commander??!!  Am I taking crazy pills??

Col Clark arrived in 2018... the first U-2 pilot to command the Wing since 1985.  He got a LOT done.  Great job, Andy.  

And now Col Fox is the Commander.  Top-shelf choice.  No doubt, the tradition of excellence will continue.  Congrats to Hf on taking command.

Thinking of applying to the U-2?  They hired someone yesterday.  Not for everyone... but how about you?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

9RW/CC Change of Command today.  

Two back-to-back U-2 pilots as the Wing Commander??!!  Am I taking crazy pills??

Col Clark arrived in 2018... the first U-2 pilot to command the Wing since 1985.  He got a LOT done.  Great job, Andy.  

And now Col Fox is the Commander.  Top-shelf choice.  No doubt, the tradition of excellence will continue.  Congrats to Hf on taking command.

Thinking of applying to the U-2?  They hired someone yesterday.  Not for everyone... but how about you?

They also graduated their second WIC class yesterday. They’ve got people who get it in charge and being invited to the right seats at the right tables.  Pay attention to Beale, and apply if you want to be part of a revolution in ISR. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I had the pleasure of reading through this thread today.

Ive been trying to reach out on the commercial (non DSN) line to the recruiting staff at Beale. Haven’t made contact yet, but will continue trying.

I’m interested in knowing it it is possible for the 9th Reconnaissance wing to accept a reserve component pilot for the FACT program? 

Thanks

(Also, after reading this entire thread: Huggy, you are a kick ass civil servant.) 

On 6/24/2020 at 12:04 PM, BirdUp said:

I’m interested in knowing it it is possible for the 9th Reconnaissance wing to accept a reserve component pilot for the FACT program?

I don't know, but it would seem unlikely.  The FACT program has been a test program and only two pilots were brought in through it.  It will be while longer before they are ready to interview.  

As I understand it, once they have gone through the entire process, the Wing will look at whether or not to continue the FACT program.  

Edited by HuggyU2

12 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

I don't know, but it would seem unlikely.  The FACT program has been a test program and only two pilots were brought in through it.  It will be while longer before they are ready to interview.  

As I understand it, once they have gone through the entire process, the Wing will look at whether or not to continue the FACT program.  

Do you think there is utility in the unit having a FAIP program for the companion training T-38's? Whether or not the FAIP T-38 instructors successfully do their interview sorties in the U-2?