U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

On 12/24/2019 at 7:33 AM, K_O said:

Not sure about U-2s, would seem to be a tight timeline, I’m just here to say that if it made sense to do it then it wouldn’t make sense that the AF would do it.

For example, why such a short TIS requirement for TPS? If it’s about payback can they not get their jollies by simply setting the ADSC to match their payback requirement? More likely than not it’s about making Colonels and Generals. Because we should limit our pool of talent based on that... just another example of made up stuff and bureaucracy driving what we do day in and day out when we should only care about what makes us a more lethal force, as they say, and wins wars. Doesn’t matter to me how old my TPS pilots are, and yeah, a U-2 pilot would probably be a great fit.

Might be related to TPS changing your base AFSC to 11E - unlike WIC etc, there is a dedicated functional for TPS grads, with the associated "plan", DT, etc. since TPS grads generally get bounced around the acquisitions/other AFMC jobs after the initial test/TPS instructor gig.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/new-years-eve-swingers-party-upsets-hotel-guest-theres-crazies-in-the-hot-tub

This is what happens when the average family man runs into U-2 pilots in Sacremento on New Years. A guest who only identified himself as Huggy said, “we offered to let his wife and 18 yr old daughter join in; I don’t get why he was so upset, we were just trying to be inclusive...just can’t make some people happy.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, LoveDumpster said:

https://www.airforcemag.com/usaf-plans-to-retire-the-u-2-in-2025/

I'll believe it when I see it (look at the planned A-10 retirement awhile back), but if it's true that disappoints me. I was hoping to throw my hat in for the Dragon Lady in around a year and a half. 

Fake news. 
I’ve seen this since 1995. 
Yawn 🥱 

image.jpeg.bbf76a054c456548d7593d81e9a5d6e5.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 3:07 PM, LoveDumpster said:

https://www.airforcemag.com/usaf-plans-to-retire-the-u-2-in-2025/

I'll believe it when I see it (look at the planned A-10 retirement awhile back), but if it's true that disappoints me. I was hoping to throw my hat in for the Dragon Lady in around a year and a half. 

Pro-tip: Avoid referencing the screen name "LoveDumpster" in your application packet.

Edited by Spoo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2008 at 10:05 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Folks,

U-2 pilot recruitment is down. Why? Lots of you

- think we're being retired soon;

- are being told by your squadron leadership that it's a "dead end job".

- didn't know you could still apply and come to the U-2

Bottom line, if you even remotely are interested in the U-2, you owe it to yourself to look into it, and even come on our to Beale for a day to look around, ride in the chase car, talk to the drivers, etc... Lots of guys come out here on a cross country, and some just fly out on United or SWA. We're about 50 minutes from Sacramento International airport.

If you're being advised by your leadership to avoid the U-2, ask them if they've even seen a U-2, or if they know even one U-2 pilot. Chances are, they can't even tell you what the U-2 does.

You can always pm me if you like. ....... 

Huggy

I found this old post from over 11 years ago, which I quoted above.  

Despite the fact the OP is an asshole, I wanted to reiterate the relevance of his statement about coming to Beale to get a first-hand look at The Program before you apply.  

Don't interview, get accepted, PCS there... only to find out the U-2 isn't for you.  If that happens, you have no one to blame but yourself.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

I found this old post from over 11 years ago, which I quoted above.  

Despite the fact the OP is an asshole, I wanted to reiterate the relevance of his statement about coming to Beale to get a first-hand look at The Program before you apply.  

Don't interview, get accepted, PCS there... only to find out the U-2 isn't for you.  If that happens, you have no one to blame but yourself.  

Huggy...that is right about when AFPC told me they wouldn't release me from fighters the first time. Took a few extra months, but you guys made it happen. Definitely a great program if it's the right fit!

Hail Dragons!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, been lurking for a while trying to read as much as I can about the U-2 application process/timeline. I was supposed to drop next week but Corona has jacked up our schedule and I've been washed back a class. So roughly another month or so before I submit my preferences (T-1 side). Looking for some guidance on how to rank everything when I get the drop list. 

Is your previous airframe a huge factor in applying for the program? For example, I've been told the RC-135 is a good plane to shoot for if I have any interest in the U-2 down the road. Also I've had leadership say to avoid AFSOC because they aren't keen on letting people go once they have them. Any truth to all this? Or should I just pick what interests me most and then wait until I'm qualified to apply? Obviously C-5's and T-6's are incredibly different, but does it matter from an interviewers perspective? What the hell should I go for?!

Thanks in advance for helping me out. Just trying to figure out the best way to get a shot at this thing... so I can finally prove the earth is flat...!

My opinion:  whatever you go fly, learn to fly it well.  And hand fly it well too.  

Definitely pick an airframe and mission that interests you now.  You may never go to the U-2.  

Most FAIP's do well.  I personally believe the T-6 is a better option.  

You will have to get info from someone more current than me, but when I was involved in the hiring process, AFSOC was more difficult to get a release from than other MAJCOMs. 

If selected for an interview, they really do not care where you came from because once at the interview, it's about how well you do while there, to include your ability to adapt to the U-2 over the course of the three interview sorties.  We have had successful interviews from just about every airframe in the inventory.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the reply Huggy, I appreciate the advice. I enjoyed the T-6 a lot and was planning on placing it up there on my list, so that's nice to hear it's a viable option.

Side question: I know the program is funded through 2025, does that mean there is usually a hiring freeze a year or two prior, or have they kept brining in new pilots in the past when it's been on the chopping block? I'd be pretty close to the end of that timeframe once finished with my FAIP commitment or first MWS tour. 

......luck and timing?

1 hour ago, AlmostAlbino said:

Hey all, been lurking for a while trying to read as much as I can about the U-2 application process/timeline. I was supposed to drop next week but Corona has jacked up our schedule and I've been washed back a class. So roughly another month or so before I submit my preferences (T-1 side). Looking for some guidance on how to rank everything when I get the drop list. 

Is your previous airframe a huge factor in applying for the program? For example, I've been told the RC-135 is a good plane to shoot for if I have any interest in the U-2 down the road. Also I've had leadership say to avoid AFSOC because they aren't keen on letting people go once they have them. Any truth to all this? Or should I just pick what interests me most and then wait until I'm qualified to apply? Obviously C-5's and T-6's are incredibly different, but does it matter from an interviewers perspective? What the hell should I go for?!

Thanks in advance for helping me out. Just trying to figure out the best way to get a shot at this thing... so I can finally prove the earth is flat...!

Organize your drop sheet based on what you feel you would enjoy doing the most after UPT. Trying to play the system or plan for beyond your first ops assignment is pointless and won’t end well. By the time you qualify for any of the weird, non standard assignments they may no longer be a thing, your life will have changed, you may no longer desire to apply for them. As much as I’m sure you and all your buddies in UPT feel you can stick it out for the long game, you will not be okay doing something you don’t enjoy for years, no matter how much you feel you could.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, AlmostAlbino said:

Side question: .....

Bottom line, the answer to your question doesn't matter and is impossible to answer since the future of the U-2 will more than likely change between now and then.  When you are able to apply, they will either be hiring or they won't... simple as that.  As Hawk15 alludes to, go enjoy your first MWS as much as you can... and let the chips fall where they may if/when you decide to apply to the Dragonlady.  

In previous years when we were "a dying airframe", we never slowed hiring.  

A lot can happen between now and 2025, and only time will tell  

• Upvote 1

Can confirm that getting released from AFSOC is difficult. I’ve been at Hurlburt for awhile and only know one guy that was released. Several people from Cannon were able to pull it off, but definitely few and far between.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Although not an assignment option for anyone here, this a good video of Dean "Gucci" Neeley talking about the NASA ER-2 mission at Palmdale on Earth Day 2020.  

Gucci has an incredible flying background, including the B-52, T-37, KC-10, T-38, U-2, and F-117 in the USAF.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest PeggyDriver46

What's the typical mission profile of the U-2 without getting into the classified realm? Is it pretty hands on from the pilot perspective or do you kind of just fly it up to cruise and make sure it doesn't fall out of the sky?

One of the things that's my big pet peeve about my MWS is that there's really long periods of doing jack shit and I have the attention span of a toddler. 

41 minutes ago, LoveDumpster said:

What's the typical mission profile of the U-2 without getting into the classified realm? Is it pretty hands on from the pilot perspective or do you kind of just fly it up to cruise and make sure it doesn't fall out of the sky?

One of the things that's my big pet peeve about my MWS is that there's really long periods of doing jack shit and I have the attention span of a toddler. 

When there’s not a lot of sky to hang onto, making sure it doesn’t fall out of it is an attention demanding job. 

There’s as much to do as you’re willing to invest.  Some missions are way more demanding than others, but on the ones where you’re not constantly worried about putting the airplane in the right place without bending it, there’s room to be an athlete in other ways. “Optimizing collect” or just paying attention to what’s going around you is a full time job. Lots of folks working hard to make it one of the busiest (and most capable) cockpits in the Air Force. 

• Like 2

Sixty years ago today, Gary Powers flew the last of 28 Russian overflights in the U-2.  

The first was flown on 4 July 1956 by Hervey Stockman, the 17th pilot to fly the U-2 (Powers was #25).  

Here's to those great Americans that put it all on the line to do what the nation needed, to keep the Communist enemy in our sights.  🍺

http://www.coldwar.org/articles/50s/early_u2.asp

For those of you at Laughlin AFB that haven't been to the Laughlin Heritage Foundation Museum, there's a fair amount of good U-2 history there.  James Long runs the place... tell him hello and that you're stationed at DLF.  

https://www.laughlinheritagefoundationinc.org

• Like 3