U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

• 2 months later...

Follow-up questions for somebody in the know:

Is this new program available only for folks out of the T-38 track?

Why should a 2Lt considering the U-2 commit to this rather than doing a FAIP tour?

What other reasons does flying the T-38 at Beale beat the pants off flying it at Laughlin?

With the ADAIR LTs  now being assignable outside of Raptors, any consideration to sending these guys to IFF prior to Beale? That way, you could dump these guys into the same assignment pool in case the U-2 doesn’t work out (or they don’t want it). That would eliminate perceived loss of FAIP/ADAIR opportunity disincentives. 

11 minutes ago, jice said:

Follow-up questions for somebody in the know:

Is this new program available only for folks out of the T-38 track?

Why should a 2Lt considering the U-2 commit to this rather than doing a FAIP tour?

What other reasons does flying the T-38 at Beale beat the pants off flying it at Laughlin?

With the ADAIR LTs  now being assignable outside of Raptors, any consideration to sending these guys to IFF prior to Beale? That way, you could dump these guys into the same assignment pool in case the U-2 doesn’t work out (or they don’t want it). That would eliminate perceived loss of FAIP/ADAIR opportunity disincentives. 

1. Yes, because you go to T-38 PIT and a T-1 UP would have to go through T-38 T-X (aka Phase III) at KRND first

2. This means you will fly the U-2 rather than getting hired later and released

3. Self explanatory

4. That makes no sense. The program is there to grow 11R U-2 guys. An ADAIR is completely different than Companion Trainer.

1 hour ago, Siegzy said:

I have no dog in this fight because I opted for reserves out of ROTC, but had I known about this, I would've been on it like a fat kid on a cupcake... Just go faip and save it for the people who know they want it

Trust me, no dog in the fight either.(Mostly). Also love cupcakes. Always wished they would have made cake tube food. Or just frosting.

I think this is a great idea; the questions were mostly meant for somebody like @AZwildcat to show up and do the rest of the selling for the single-minded proto-recce-warriors on the fence.

1 hour ago, LookieRookie said:

4. That makes no sense. The program is there to grow 11R U-2 guys. An ADAIR is completely different than Companion Trainer.

You’re right. Completely different. Couldn’t be more different.

The point is to keep this towards the top of somebody’s dream sheet rather than the bottom. Without some type of fence put up around these dude’s assignments, you’re asking somebody to select into an 11R pool (with guaranteed U-2 INTERVIEW) over the 11F ADAIR fighter pool and over the T-38 FAIP CAF pool. This closes doors, and I think the quality of the applicant will suffer as a result. Even if Lt Snuffy has wanted to fly the U-2 his whole life, he’s still got to pass the interview flights. What if his second choice isn’t RQ-4/E-3/E-8/RC-135? If you want guys at the top(ish) of their class to pick this program you have to preserve options for the non-recce CAF. (Or bar FAIPS from applying to the U-2). Otherwise, Snuffy just picks FAIP to keep his options open and this goes to a less qualified candidate who didn’t have the same class rank/ability to choose.

I’m sure one of the bros with a solo number can tell us that there’s a plan for that.

Edited by jice

1 minute ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Dumb question here, but are there any U-2 reservist? 

Not a dumb question! Super awesome question. Everybody should ask it!

There were a couple non-flying IMA positions as of May. I don’t think that’s changed. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jice said:

The point is to keep this towards the top of somebody’s dream sheet rather than the bottom. Without some type of fence put up around these dude’s assignments, you’re asking somebody to select into an 11R pool (with guaranteed U-2 INTERVIEW) over the 11F ADAIR fighter pool and over the T-38 FAIP CAF pool. This closes doors, and I think the quality of the applicant will suffer as a result. Even if Lt Snuffy has wanted to fly the U-2 his whole life, he’s still got to pass the interview flights. What if his second choice isn’t RQ-4/E-3/E-8/RC-135? If you want guys at the top(ish) of their class to pick this program you have to preserve options for the non-recce CAF. (Or bar FAIPS from applying to the U-2). Otherwise, Snuffy just picks FAIP to keep his options open and this goes to a less qualified candidate who didn’t have the same class rank/ability to choose.

I’m sure one of the bros with a solo number can tell us that there’s a plan for that.

B-2s do the same thing and it works fine. First Assignment bubba's go through PIT to be T-38 IPs before they can go to the B-2.

There are SPs who's lifelong dream is to be a U-2 driver. I think the program will work fine.

• Upvote 1

Not 100% on this but i beleive the intent is if the interview doesn’t go well or other circumstances make the U-2 not a good fit, they will go back into the assignment pool for any CAF assignment.

More to follow.  Should be interesting, and a great opportunity for the right person.

U-2 reservists (and T-38 CTP) to me has always seemed like a no brainer, but it’s been tabled for all the years we were sunset.  The gears are turning now, i think it will happen eventually.  Especially if we have any hope of retaining talent and experience in this current climate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, AZwildcat said:

Not 100% on this but i beleive the intent is if the interview doesn’t go well or other circumstances make the U-2 not a good fit, they will go back into the assignment pool for any CAF assignment.

Perfect! In that case, this sounds like one of the best deals in the Air Force for a young guy/gal. 

4 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

B-2s....

There are SPs who's lifelong dream is to be a U-2 driver. I think the program will work fine.

B-2s quit doing this for a while; bro-gouge was they didn’t like not having control over the product.

Those single-minded  -38 SPs would be better off selecting FAIP unless there’s some assignment protection on the back side of the CTP gig (sounds like there will be). The fundamental element is a guaranteed INTERVIEW with the U-2. Landing the jet is hard. Some people don’t fit in. Claustrophobia is real. As a -38 stud I wouldn’t bet my ability to win the interview against potential to have an RQ-4 as my initial MWS. 

Sounds like they’re getting it right (actually have considered how establishing incentives influence behavior) and that bet is going to be N/A. 

Edited by jice

4 hours ago, AZwildcat said:

More to follow.  Should be interesting, and a great opportunity for the right person.

U-2 reservists (and T-38 CTP) to me has always seemed like a no brainer, but it’s been tabled for all the years we were sunset.  The gears are turning now, i think it will happen eventually.  Especially if we have any hope of retaining talent and experience in this current climate.

I’ll be a guinea pig for the reserves! 

48 minutes ago, Spaceballs said:

I saw the email about U-2 interviews a few days ago and got excited, right up until the “AFPC hates you fighter pilots. No interviews for you!”

I wouldn’t say AFPC hates.....think of it as a one sided and long lasting relationship 

3F217E16-E541-4777-AB63-9F34DAA45943.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 9/29/2018 at 9:33 AM, FishBowl said:

Can I just go there now, please?

Get min requirements, apply.

17 hours ago, Spaceballs said:

I saw the email about U-2 interviews a few days ago and got excited, right up until the “AFPC hates you fighter pilots. No interviews for you!”

It’s a shame.  The U-2 definitely wants to bring fighter dudes in, AFPC just isn’t having it...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Off the street hire? 

Not sure what you mean. He was a C-130 Reservist and remained a Reservist. 

However, it was a very unusual and isolated case. 

Many proposals have been generated about part time U-2 Pilots. Foolishly, none have taken hold. Maybe things are changing. 

2 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Not sure what you mean. He was a C-130 Reservist and remained a Reservist. 

However, it was a very unusual and isolated case. 

Many proposals have been generated about part time U-2 Pilots. Foolishly, none have taken hold. Maybe things are changing. 

He's Reserve unsponsored to UPT and wants to be a FACT.

Edited by LookieRookie

2 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

He's Reserve unsponsored to UPT and wants to be a FACT.

I’d say it is a long shot. But I am certainly not in the know. I didn’t know this was seriously being considered until I saw the article posted here. 

When it was considered while I was in the U-2, I was very much against it.  However I’m sure there are a lot of good reasons... and realities...that are driving this. 

That said, I hope that they are considering contract U-2 pilots if they want a pool of highly qualified pilots that are motivated to do the job. 

• Upvote 1