U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

So not in any way caused by the U-2, but instead by the FAA's crappy computer system... glad that won't get cleared up and will probably be some ammo to stoke the fight to kill the U-2. "It shuts down our ATC!"

Edited by SurelySerious
  • Upvote 1

At least they got the U-2s home base correct... Oh, oops.

Investigative journalism at its finest.

There are actually some U-2s that fly out of Palmdale and Eddie.

Edited by Hacker

“The committee is concerned with the Department of the Air Force’s plan to retire the U-2 fleet in fiscal year 2016,” the HASC markup reads. “While the committee realizes that the Department can never fully meet the ISR demand of combatant commanders, reasonable and necessary ISR requests appear very likely to go unfilled if the current high-altitude airborne ISR collection capabilities of the U-2 are terminated.”

As a result, the committee included language prohibiting the obligation and expenditure of funds in FY 2015 to “make significant changes to retire, prepare to retire, or place U-2 aircraft in storage.”

The committee also requested a report be delivered by Feb. 16 outlining the plan to transition capabilities from the U-2 to the Global Hawk Block 30 unmanned system, citing concerns over a potential capability gap between the two platforms.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20140505/NEWS05/305050039/HASC-markup-limits-Air-Force-options-10-U-2

the plan to transition capabilities from the U-2 to the Global Hawk Block 30 unmanned system

A plan which consists of not being able to do it no matter how hard they plan or throw money at the problem.

This is sort of like saying, "a plan to transition capabilities of the F-15 over to the Cessna 172". Yep, all we have to do is come up with a plan on how to hang that radar and those AMRAAMs on the Cessna, here, and we'll have it all sorted out.

Edited by Hacker
  • Upvote 3

A plan which consists of not being able to do it no matter how hard they plan or throw money at the problem.

This is sort of like saying, "a plan to transition capabilities of the F-15 over to the Cessna 172". Yep, all we have to do is come up with a plan on how to hang that radar and those AMRAAMs on the Cessna, here, and we'll have it all sorted out.

Once heard a comm (aka cyber) Colonel say something almost exactly the same. Something about putting AMRAAMs on Predators to replace F-15s. I was scared because he was deathly serious.

Once heard a comm (aka cyber) Colonel say something almost exactly the same. Something about putting AMRAAMs on Predators to replace F-15s. I was scared because he was deathly serious.

Deadly 11, Maddog

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Comments concerning the U-2 vs RQ-4 in the current FY15 NDAA House Appropriations Committee Report.
GLOBAL HAWK, U–2, AND HIGH ALTITUDE ISR
"The Air Force’s fiscal year 2015 budget request proposes to retain the RQ–4 Global Hawk Block 30 fleet while preparing for the divestment of the U–2 fleet in fiscal year 2016. This proposal constitutes a reversal of the Air Force’s previous position on the two platforms. The Air Force has explained that its reversal primarily is based on declining operation and sustainment costs for the Global Hawk, making it a more prudent long-term investment. The Committee views the U–2 and the Global Hawk Block 30 as complementary, rather than rival, systems for high altitude intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance; at the same time, the Committee acknowledges that budget constraints in current law have driven the Air Force to choose between the two platforms.
"The Committee is concerned, however, by the Air Force’s present plan to initiate and complete a precipitous drawdown of the U–2 fleet in fiscal year 2016. The U–2 possesses flight performance, sensor, and other capabilities that the Global Hawk Block 30 does not presently have. Among these U–2 capabilities is carriage of the Optical Bar Camera (OBC), which provides vital imagery enabling American support of the Israel-Egypt peace treaty. The Air Force to date has not proposed a mitigating solution for the loss of the OBC capability after 2016. The Committee understands the Air Force is reviewing alternate options for divestment, including the option of a temporary mixed fleet of Global Hawks and U–2s beyond fiscal year 2016, in order to address these concerns.
"The Consolidated Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2014 provided the Air Force with an additional $10,000,000 to conduct a study of the feasibility of adapting U–2 sensors or similar alternatives to the Block 30. The Committee believes that a favorable solution to improving the electro-optical/infrared capability of the Block 30 would involve a sensor that provides imagery intelligence comparable to or better than that provided by the SYERS–2 on the U–2, including National Image Interpretability Rating Scale score, range, field of regard, and area coverage; preserves the ability for simultaneous carriage of the synthetic aperture radar on the Block 30; does not unduly compromise the availability of SYERS–2 units for U–2 missions in the event that the Air Force opts for a mixed fleet; minimizes the integration work necessary for adaptation to the Block 30 using the Sensor Interface Module; and can be developed and procured at a cost not exceeding the ‘‘parity’’ option identified as meeting Air Combat Command sensor attributes in the report of April 2013. The Committee understands that the ultimate solution will involve reasonable trade-offs between these parameters.
"In addition, the Committee believes that it is critical to invest in upgrades that will provide Block 30 with necessary weather avoidance and anti-icing capabilities; improved sensor capabilities are of less consequence if inclement weather remains a significant limiting factor on Block 30 operations, especially in the Pacific Command area of responsibility.
"To date, the Air Force has not presented the Committee with a requirements-driven, accountably resourced, and realistically scheduled plan for improving capabilities on the Global Hawk Block 30 and mitigating the loss of U–2 capabilities such as the OBC after fiscal year 2016. The Committee directs the Secretary of the Air Force to present such a plan to the congressional defense committees prior to taking any action to divest the U–2 fleet. The Committee will review the progress of actions by the Air Force in this regard when the fiscal year 2016 budget request is submitted, and intends to take intervening action against full and immediate divestment of the U–2 fleet if such plans are not satisfactory. The Committee also notes that the House version of the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2014 requires the Air Force to produce a transition plan and prohibits the Air Force from taking any steps toward retirement of the U–2. The Committee urges the Secretary of the Air Force to use previously appropriated funds to continue critical sustainment programs for the U–2 until divestment of the fleet is authorized by Congress."

• 1 month later...

Pretty strong language from Gen. Hostage.

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is using a mix of manned and unmanned intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) assets to monitor the ongoing situation in Iraq, a top Air Force general said today.

“It’s what we call nontraditional ISR,” Gen. Mike Hostage, the head of Air Force Air Combat Command, said July 29. “We’re using fighter aircraft that have ISR capacities, like targeting pods, and things that give us a lot of awareness on what’s going on, on the ground.”

Hostage did not say which fighters were taking part in those missions, but assets in the region include F-15E Strike Eagles, F-16 Fighting Falcons and F-22 Raptor fighter jets, as well as A-10 “Warthog” aircraft.

Hostage, speaking at a breakfast event hosted by the Air Force Association, said there are unmanned assets also assisting, but stressed the importance of using manned aircraft as the US attempts to track Islamic States forces.

“There is a love affair out there in the non-aviation world with the concept of the unmanned platform, but I really need the human in that loop, and tightly in the loop in a way I have it in a non-traditional ISR platform,” Hostage said, before acknowledging “I need both out there.”

Those comments intensified when Hostage was asked about the decision to retire the U-2 manned spy plane in favor of the Global Hawk unmanned system — something he has expressed disdain for in the past.

“It pisses me of when [people] say the Air Force cut it,” Hostage said of the U-2. “I’m only losing the U-2 because I was directed to buy the Global Hawk, and the only way I can afford to buy Global Hawks is to cut the U-2.”

“The Global Hawk right now doesn’t have the same awareness that a U-2 does,” he added. “A U-2 pilot can still look out the window and see something coming and deal with it. Global Hawk can’t do that.”

“A human sitting in a box can have the same kinesthetic awareness of an aviator sitting in a platform in the middle of combat,” Hostage said. “The day will come when I can produce that. And when that day comes, I will be happy to stop flying manned aircraft.

“But that day is not here yet, so I still need the unique capabilities the human provides, so I’m going to need manned platforms, at least for a while. I don’t think we’ve seen the birth of the last human aviator.”

Premature retirement?

The Air Force detailed plans to retire its inventory of 33 U-2s in its 2015 budget request. Global Hawks would handle the high altitude intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance mission. Congress, however, may block the U-2’s retirement, with language in both the House and Senate versions of the fiscal 2015 National Defense Authorization Act preventing the Air Force from executing its plan.

The Air Force itself originally asked for the Global Hawk, Hostage said. But funding and requirements from combatant commands changed.

“The calculus was: I’ve got a U-2 that’s already paid for, that already meets the current requirement and will continue to fly for another 40 years. I can meet the requirement with that and I can save money,” he said. “We were directed to buy the Global Hawk anyway and were not given the money to keep the current fleet going and buy the Global Hawk, so I have no choice but to give up the U-2 in order to purchase the Global Hawk.

Don’t tell me I cut the U-2. I didn’t. I’m sacrificing the U-2 to pay for something I have to buy.”

In a perfect world, without budget restrictions, ACC would keep flying the U-2 and continue to develop the Global Hawk until it gets to the point where it can replace the U-2. But, the unmanned aircraft doesn’t have the capability and awareness that a U-2 currently does.

Northrop Grumman is developing a “universal payload adapter,” which would take the cameras and sensor equipment straight from the U-2 and attach it to the Global Hawk. It would cost about $487 million and take three years to develop and two years to produce, according to Air Force documents.

The main factor in pushing to cut the U-2 and not the Global Hawk was a drop in sustainment costs. The cost per flying hour of all Global Hawk variants dropped to $24,000 in fiscal 2013, with the U-2’s cost per flying hour at about $32,000, according to the Air Force.

• 4 weeks later...

Never noticed that the U-2 has a yaw string before. I imagine it's there primarily for use during approach/landing as a heads up yaw indicator to help prevent awkward loading of the tandem gear. Is that right, or it's your primary slip indicator throughout the flight?

Never noticed that the U-2 has a yaw string before. I imagine it's there primarily for use during approach/landing as a heads up yaw indicator to help prevent awkward loading of the tandem gear. Is that right, or it's your primary slip indicator throughout the flight?

Useful for students flying around the pattern to keep it coordinated until they get the feel. Up high you generally center it up with the yaw knob on the autopilot once you get above 50k and don't really mess with it after that. Helps keep the wing fuel balanced for the landing. Don't really use it for the landing phase, too busy looking straight forward (yaw string is overhead on the canopy) trying to keep the wings level, stopping drift, and keeping her at 2'. You can tell the yaw pretty well by looking at the nose. The big honking ASARS nose is the best for crab, but not as good for the others.

Of course, there are as many techniques for flying the Deuce as there are U-2 pilots...

The yaw string is used throughout the flight. If you don't maintain coordinated flight, you can quickly give yourself a pretty nasty fuel imbalance. Low speed or the landing the U-2 with a heavy wing usually doesn't end well. The primary drift and crab indicator during landing is really just looking outside. The yaw string isn't used at all during the landing. The pilot driving the chase car can also give rudder calls as necessary prior to touchdown. Landing with any crab or drift on that tandem gear can make the roll out anywhere between interesting and absolutely terrifying.

Of course, there are as many techniques for flying the Deuce as there are U-2 pilots...

I think that Spoo would typically perform a UCD check on all pilots prior to step. I never really understood that technique, but he insisted it worked. Weird.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Huggy will be pissed that I told you, but he retired last Friday. The Air Force and the brotherhood will miss him dearly. Good luck my friend, and thanks for your 58 years of service.

HAIL DRAGONS!

Fini flight:

1621722_10154612803520562_15254702907937

Last landing, STWF...nice.

10649951_10154612803230562_8490639348311

Edited by Spoo
  • Upvote 15

No Flap Landing Distance: Every knot above Threshold speed adds approx 1000' to touchdown point.

T-Speed: 75 KIAS + Gas (600 Gals = 81 KIAS)