U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

After that email went out, I spent a few minutes "researching" the 3 regs/AFI's that the MSgt from Base Ops referenced in stating his point about FOD checks. As it turns out, each of the 3 were taken out of context, and there was NO requirement. He did a less-than-poor job of his responsibilities. Had I done a similarly poor job of researching a tasker that I'd been given, I would have been (deservedly) chastised and/or removed from my position of responsibility.

I broke down the arguments that he stated, and sent them to leadership: sure, if they want the engine shutoff, that is their perogative, and we need to salute smartly and do it. However, nowhere in the regs is it required, or even implied.

But Fudge is correct: that email chain was pretty funny. Since the major involved is a good friend, I watched the whole thing transpire from 12 time zones away, and it was like watching a car crash in slow motion... he just didn't realize who was on the "Reply to All".

"Reply to All" got me in a lot of trouble at Randolph when I managed to reach out to the AETC/CC and Command Chief. That faux pas almost left a mark.

Edited by Huggyu2

After that email went out, I spent a few minutes "researching" the 3 regs/AFI's that the MSgt from Base Ops referenced in stating his point about FOD checks. As it turns out, each of the 3 were taken out of context, and there was NO requirement. He did a less-than-poor job of his responsibilities. Had I done a similarly poor job of researching a tasker that I'd been given, I would have been (deservedly) chastised and/or removed from my position of responsibility.

I broke down the arguments that he stated, and sent them to leadership: sure, if they want the engine shutoff, that is their perogative, and we need to salute smartly and do it. However, nowhere in the regs is it required, or even implied.

Technically, are you even on the flight line AT the fod check? I would think not, so therefore none of that crap should even apply. But that's not the point to this thread.

"Reply to All" got me in a lot of trouble at Randolph when I managed to reach out to the AETC/CC and Command Chief. That faux pas almost left a mark.

Do tell.

In the mean time we'll just get this thread back on track.

post-14678-0-37536900-1329283355_thumb.j

Edited by Fudge

Huggy, whats the latest on IST folks? Opportunities for Navy folks to apply?

The policy just changed. It is still very limited, but AFPC will entertain an interservice transfer for Navy/Marine/CG personnel that are accepted to the U-2 Program.

For info, call the 1RS Director of Recruiting at DSN 368-4447.

Not necessarily "the best", but have you read "The Black Watch" by Ernie Gann?

The events are true, and everyone in there except the main character are "real people".

Edited by Huggyu2

Even "Hooper" was a "real" person of a sort, patterned after one of the young guys going through when Ernie was writing the book. Then there's the story of the title...another little known frag that wound up with a very different meaning. But that's another story...

If you haven't already, try "Skunk Works", by Ben Rich. Not just about the U-2, but lots of Skunk Works efforts while Ben was there from a new guy to the head of the place.

We are currently taking interservice transfers from the Navy and Marines. I would think that Guard and Reserves would be fair game too. Give our recruiter a call directly. His number is DSN 368-4447. He talks with AFPC daily and can separate fact from rumor for you. Good luck.

Kuma

Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while, but I felt the need to comment (and I haven't given Huggy shit in a while).

[Huggy commenting on FLIP charts in the Deuce]

...they usually fold up easily. However, there's always those times when they won't fold, and you hit the "get this damn thing away from me!" point, and it gets stuffed. Oh well... there's plenty more in the flight planning closet. Personally, I'll jam it on to the dash when I'm flying into a rising/setting sun, and can't see anything anyways.

We have FLIP in the jet? Must be a two thousand hour thing. I'm near one thousand and I have yet to open up a FLIP chart, approach plate, etc in the jet.

Just saying...

You know me, Spoo: all I really use is a Sectional.

And I cannot deny using the charts, since there is now video evidence to the contrary.

In any case, a rare occurrence.

Edited by Huggyu2

I've been reading this thread off and on for a couple years, so thanks for all the good info on U-2's. I'm working on earning my chance to apply and be a part of that incredible mission! Give me 3 years.

Since the block 30 GH is officially cnx'd, what kind of life extension is expected for the U2?

Coming from the C-21 as an initial assignment, would it be a good idea to volunteer for an MC-12 deployment to strengthen my future application? We obviously don't get many combat hours and pretty limited tactical experience in the C-21.

...just doing my research.

Thanks!

I've been reading this thread off and on for a couple years, so thanks for all the good info on U-2's. I'm working on earning my chance to apply and be a part of that incredible mission! Give me 3 years.

Since the block 30 GH is officially cnx'd, what kind of life extension is expected for the U2?

Coming from the C-21 as an initial assignment, would it be a good idea to volunteer for an MC-12 deployment to strengthen my future application? We obviously don't get many combat hours and pretty limited tactical experience in the C-21.

...just doing my research.

First, the Block 30 hasn't been "offically cnx'd"." The AF & DoD budget submission has PROPOSED that it be cut. There are 535 Fat Ladies on the hill yet to sing on that one and we're all standing by to see what actually happens when the Congress gets around to passing the FY13 Defense Appropriations Bill next fall.

That said, more experience is always nice to have, but I think if you meet the program minimums with just your C-21 time you should be okay to apply. However, I'd call the 1st RS recruiting officer (DSN 368-4447) and talk to him about it. He may be able to give you the latest guidance. Keep in mind, though, the if it'll be three years, things could change.

Edited by HiFlyer

First, the Block 30 hasn't been "offically cnx'd"." The AF & DoD budget submission has PROPOSED that it be cut. There are 635 Fat Ladies on the hill yet to sing on that one and we're all standing by to see what actually happens when the Congress gets around to passing the FY13 Defense Appropriations Bill next fall.

Duely noted ...and on that note. I need to call my fat lady.

I'll give the recruiting officer a call and see what intel they have. Thanks!

CougarDriver,... the tough part is getting the hours in a normal 3-4 year tour. That said, C-21 pilots do better than most. However... if the MC-12 appeals to you, then you should consider it. You'll get 2 months at Beale during your 10-11 months "in the MC-12", and it will give you a chance to look at the area, and check out the U-2. And if you decide the U-2 isn't for you, you will have the opportunity to transition to the MC-12 mission.

If the MC-12 mission does not appeal to you, stay in the -21.

why'd the U-2 cancel out of the DM Open House? Weak.

Before you call us out in public, stract, maybe you should check with the one guy at Beale that works the Aerial Events issues for the Ops Group... oh wait!... That would be me!

So... if you have an email from me or the 9 OG/CC saying we aren't going to be there, then please let me know. Thanks!

BTW... if we do bring the U-2 there, please be sure to be at the Big House with us. Last time, we shut the place down. I don't recall any local drivers there when we did.

Weak.

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 1