U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

Also an additional water survival course in the pressue suit, unless they've somehow eliminated that course. Its more fun than some other courses...

Oh, it's a full three day land and water pressure suit survival extravaganza! The Tahoe National Forrest somehow reminded me of the mountains around Spokane. If you're lucky, you'll go through in the warmer months and the CHP will give you a lift out of Scott's Flat Lake.

Edited by Spoo

Oh, it's a full three day land and water pressure suit survival extravaganza! The Tahoe National Forrest somehow reminded me of the mountains around Spokane. If you're lucky, you'll go through in the warmer months and the CHP will give you a lift out of Scott's Flat Lake.

Yeah....and in the winter it's amazing how warm the suit keeps ya. Evading for three hours in that thing in 20-30 degree temps.....no problem!

Yeah....and in the winter it's amazing how warm the suit keeps ya. Evading for three hours in that thing in 20-30 degree temps.....no problem!

Htf do you evade anything but a platoon of blind hikers when you're wandering around in a giant bright orange spacesuit?

Different question, do you guys use e-readers when you're doing the less exciting parts of the mission? I was wondering if kindle/ipad/nook can survive at those PAs. I'm guessing not but got curious.

The cockpit only gets up to ~29,000. I would think the bigger problem would be pressing the little tiny buttons with the big gloves.

Yeah, but 29000 is a lot. We had a lot of guys lose palm pilots and laptops doing high alt airdrop (25 ish). Screens would fracture. There was actually an issue with the aircraft laptops overheating. That was pre ipad/kindle/etc. U2 drivers?

Come to think of it, seem to recall guys mentioned reading books, how do you turn the page with those gloves?

Yeah, but 29000 is a lot. We had a lot of guys lose palm pilots and laptops doing high alt airdrop (25 ish). Screens would fracture. There was actually an issue with the aircraft laptops overheating. That was pre ipad/kindle/etc. U2 drivers?

Come to think of it, seem to recall guys mentioned reading books, how do you turn the page with those gloves?

Turning pages requires time and patience....and the Deuce gives you plenty of both. iPads and kindles work just fine up there.

HD video of an U-2 flight from the cockpit-

Cool! What's with the steam or whatever flying around the cockpit at 1:55?

I also liked how the guy just stuffed the chart over his shoulder when he was done looking at it. I bet those things are a pain to fold back up with those gloves on!

Cool! What's with the steam or whatever flying around the cockpit at 1:55?

I also liked how the guy just stuffed the chart over his shoulder when he was done looking at it. I bet those things are a pain to fold back up with those gloves on!

The "steam" is just condensation flowing from the air conditioning ducts as the cold air hits the ambient cockpit air on takeoff (full throttle). Cold dry air hitting hot, moist cockpit air...fog...you know.

As for the chart...that's a handy spot. Actually, on a long high flight with the sun beating in, a good chart is a lifesaver...you just build a tent over you to block the sun. After all, who you gonna run into at 70K??

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 1

With the throttle parked in the NW quadrant (like it is on takeoff),... and the air conditioner set fairly cold... and the humidity is right,... you will get air conditioner induced "fog in the cockpit" (which is a boldface item... yes, it can get dense enough that you cannot see anything). There are two floor vents ("chimney vents") that face upward,... and that's why you saw the fog coming up. In that particular scene, that was the rear cockpit with the photographer. (edit: looks like HiFlyer just posted about 2 minutes before me,... while i was typing, hence the redundant answer).

NEFlyer: thanks for posting that video. I'd never seen it before. That photo shoot took place about 2.5 years ago, and we never saw the results. The still shots are the ones that made it into AF Magazine a few months ago. The photographer has a website: www.horizontalrain.com and has done some unique work. For any of y'all that have seen the Mountain Home jets flying with an Indian Sukhoi, or the B-2 shot (from a T-38) over Whiteman, it's the same guy, Sagar Pathak.

The charts are seldom used, actually. But, they usually fold up easily. However, there's always those times when they won't fold, and you hit the "get this damn thing away from me!" point, and it gets stuffed. Oh well... there's plenty more in the flight planning closet. Personally, I'll jam it on to the dash when I'm flying into a rising/setting sun, and can't see anything anyways.

The AF Magazine shoot had a nice still photo of the scene where the U-2 and T-38 shadows are in formation in the grass, on the low approach. That was done at ~200 KIAS: pretty fast for a U-2,... and the T-38 had the flaps down.

After all, who you gonna run into at 70K??

My very first time flying solo high, I was over Southern Cal, and trying to figure out how to heat and eat my tube food... so needless to say, I'm not looking outside much.

Suddenly, my peripheral vision is aware of some movement. I look outside and, going the opposite direction and fairly close, is a Palmdale-based U-2.

Just when you think you you are all alone...

Edited by Huggyu2

Huh?

Guess you missed the reply-all email from someone, then the reply from the OG addressing the reply... then yep, the reply-all to that. I'm not a U-2 guy, I was there for Global Hawks and was on the 1RS email.

"yeah, I'm not gonna do that" was how it started. Then the OG said yes you will. But the reply to that was what was funny.

What fod check? I think he's talking about the chase car just flying onto the runway. Still cool though.

No.