U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

Quick answers:

- yes, done in chalk. They used to put hair spray over it to make it last. Don't know if they still do that.

- no, you don't go to PIT to check out. We do it "in house" via an ACC syllabus.

- I have never seen anyone moved to another airframe involuntarily. Why would we send you to JSTARS when we need you here? Moosepilot mentions "follow ons". There are none outside of the U-2 path (to include school and U-2 staff).

- the U-2 guys that left The Program did so after 4+ years here. It is somewhat OG dependant, I'd guess. If you're the right rank and personality, the OG might decide "it is better for your career" to go to a U-2 staff job at Langley, Pentagon, Germany, Hawai'i, etc...

- in the last 11 years, I've seen 5 guys go to F-117 , 1 go to T-6's at PCola, another to T-6 PIT, 1 to the 89th... and there's more.

I would also add that we do occasionally send guys to PIT to be 38 instructors at Beale - maybe 1 or 2 per year.

Of course, Huggy's also the guy to ask about that one. He's been to 38 PIT like 3 or 4 times now - no shit. Still refuses to get PA'd.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What are the chances the U-2 will be operational beyond 2015? It is a big part of the reason why I got interested in aviation, but I have a long way to go. Is it unlikely that I would ever get to pursue time in the U-2 or is it possible it keeps getting service life extensions?

Has there ever been a helicopter transfer to the U-2?

Yes, but they all had fixed wing time as well, which is a requirement. Check out the beale.af.mil website and look at the U-2 application link. It's all spelled out there.

Wheelz

The Beale link for the U-2 Application has been unreliable the past year (thanks to Comm Sqdn). Bottom line, you'll need 500 hours fixed wing rated military time, in addition to your total rated time of 1300 hours (not sure, but that's real close). Call DSN 368-4447, and talk to Recruiting.

What are the chances the U-2 will be operational beyond 2015? It is a big part of the reason why I got interested in aviation, but I have a long way to go. Is it unlikely that I would ever get to pursue time in the U-2 or is it possible it keeps getting service life extensions?

It doesn't need "service life extensions" in the conventional sense. The issues are more along the lines of cost and other operational issues. The AF position is that it will retire in 2015 and be replaced by the Global Hawk, but so far that hasn't gone smoothly. Congress (in about 2008) included language in the Defense bill that the SECDEF must show that the GH's capability will be as good as the U-2's before the AF can retire the U-2, and that hasn't happened yet. The latest Senate language for their version of the 2012 Defense bill also added this gem (quoted from the Senate public release):

"Includes a provision that would prohibit the Secretary of the Air Force from taking any action regarding the retirement of the U-2 aircraft until the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics certifies to Congress that the operating and sustainment (O&S) costs for the Global Hawk aircraft are less than the O&S costs for the U-2 aircraft it is intended to replace.

That has to be agreed to by the House in the Conference Committee before the final FY12 bill clears, but I wouldn't give up hope just yet...

It doesn't need "service life extensions" in the conventional sense. The issues are more along the lines of cost and other operational issues. The AF position is that it will retire in 2015 and be replaced by the Global Hawk, but so far that hasn't gone smoothly. Congress (in about 2008) included language in the Defense bill that the SECDEF must show that the GH's capability will be as good as the U-2's before the AF can retire the U-2, and that hasn't happened yet. The latest Senate language for their version of the 2012 Defense bill also added this gem (quoted from the Senate public release):

"Includes a provision that would prohibit the Secretary of the Air Force from taking any action regarding the retirement of the U-2 aircraft until the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics certifies to Congress that the operating and sustainment (O&S) costs for the Global Hawk aircraft are less than the O&S costs for the U-2 aircraft it is intended to replace.

That has to be agreed to by the House in the Conference Committee before the final FY12 bill clears, but I wouldn't give up hope just yet...

Thanks a lot. Are there any female U-2 pilots currently?

Yes. I know of at least one currently; she was a FAIP when I was a student in 38s.

Not true: she PCS'd to school.

FWIW, we've had approximately 7 women selected to fly the U-2 over the years.

Putting together my "wish list" for various forums, demos, events, etc. for OSH.

A couple of U-2 items caught my eye; this guy sounds like he's really BTDT.... Any of our resident U-2 guys know him? (I understand he fondly refers to Huggy as "Pops".... :moon: )

Major General (Ret) Patrick J. Halloran

Anyone know if a Deuce will be at OSH this year?

EDIT: fix link

Edited by Jughead

Putting together my "wish list" for various forums, demos, events, etc. for OSH.

A couple of U-2 items caught my eye; this guy sounds like he's really BTDT.... Any of our resident U-2 guys know him? (I understand he fondly refers to Huggy as "Pops".... :moon: )

Major General (Ret) Patrick J. Halloran

Anyone know if a Deuce will be at OSH this year?

EDIT: fix link

Pat is one of the nicest, most humble guys you will ever meet. Very low key, but he's done it all and seen it all. One of the early U-2 guys, then one of the early SR guys.

Last I heard, two Beale T-38's are going, and will be on Aeroshell Square.

Halloran is a class act, no matter how you slice it. And his list of aviation stuff he's done in his post-AF career is equally impressive.

He comes to our rental house BBQ every year at Oshkosh, and having him there is always a highlight.

• 1 month later...

Global Hawk to replace U-2 spy plane in 2015

“No U-2s in the Air Force in fiscal year ’15,” said Lt. Col. Rick Thomas, the Air Force’s Global Hawk functional manager

--------------------

That's a bold statement when "the [Global Chicken] has had some teething problems where it failed its operational test due to poor reliability and mediocre sensor performance" and "The sensors provide less range, less resolution and less collection capability than existing intelligence gathering aircraft".

Edited by KennyB

“No U-2s in the Air Force in fiscal year ’15,” said Lt. Col. Rick Thomas, the Air Force’s Global Hawk functional manager

I've heard that the guy with the desk next to his, the Air Force’s Global Hawk nonfunctional manager, has a much busier job. 'I don't know if we'll ever get this thing to work..."

• Upvote 1

Global Hawk to replace U-2 spy plane in 2015

“No U-2s in the Air Force in fiscal year ’15,” said Lt. Col. Rick Thomas, the Air Force’s Global Hawk functional manager."

More Global Hawk propaganda from the functional manager:

“The president of the United States said, ‘I need information now,’ ” Thomas said. “This was the only asset to provide that broad view.”

Global Hawk served new role in Japan aftermath

• 5 weeks later...

Wow this thread is stuffed full of good info, especially for someone who's hoping the U-2 will be around in a few years to still apply to. How likely is that looking lately and what changes have you guys seen to the program since this thread started up 5 years ago?