U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

Love seeing the U-2 guys interacting with the UK spotters at Fairford. Great sense of humour. beer.gif

I might know the guy responsible for that...

Spoo.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Michael Buckle

beer.gif Nice work. Those guys really appreciate it.

Very much so, we'd love some of that TDY nose art too ;).

Mike

We will have a U-2 at Offutt on Thursday & Friday.

If anyone is considering applying to the U-2, there will probably be a Q&A session on Wednesday late afternoon,... maybe at the club. I'm assuming the club is open on Wednesdays?

I'll post more here tomorrow, depending how things shake out.

If anyone is considering applying to the U-2, there will probably be a Q&A session on Wednesday late afternoon,... maybe at the club. I'm assuming the club is open on Wednesdays?

I think the club is still under renovation. Either way, it'll be awesome to have the U-2 at Offutt.

Edited by snoopyeast

Offutt in January. Dammit Huggy, you always get the good deals.

I'm at Offutt. Let me know if you need a POC and/or help running anything to ground. Cheers!

Jughead

ETA: I think your mailbox is full--tried to send as PM, says you can't receive any messages....

Guest Flyinrock

Huggy

XL Club office told me this p.m. the official YoYo's opening with ribbon cutting is 4Feb11. They are doing two "dry runs" for winging party. Will also post to you over in the AIRWARRIORS BB. A lady took me around to show me the changes but I hadn't been there before so can't tell you what is changed.

Fred says Hi

Rocky

Flyinrock: thanks for the update. Probably can't make it, but tell YoYo Huggy says hi and congrats.

Jughead: 2xT-38's arrive Wednesday around 1400, callsign Roper 41. If there is a place where anyone interested in applying can come out to discuss, would you set it up? Club, on base pub, OG briefing room/theatre, etc... I have a laptop with powerpoint and some good videos with sound, so that would enhance things if there is A/V. Bonus if we can order food & drink too. Your drinks are on me.

Let's shoot for Wed evening around 1700. I'll pm you my cell phone number. I'll delete some stuff since my mailbox is full. If you cannot coord it, don't sweat it... I'll figure something out.

Edited by Huggyu2

Let's shoot for Wed evening around 1700.

FOR ANYONE AT OFFUTT:

The "official" announcement is still working its way through channels (someone please kill me), but, we're on: *today*, Wed 26 Jan, 1715L, 338 CTS Mission Briefing room, for Huggy's U-2 Road Show; followed by informal discussion (read: adult beverages) in the 338 CTS bar--um, Heritage Room. See you there!

Edited by Jughead

• 2 months later...

Navy? :navy:

Good luck. If it happens for you, just remember: it's still gay if you're underway.

Seriously though, I know of a single seat organization that will take a look at you (STS) no matter what your qual is...

(as long as you have the hours and the skills, of course)

Guest Crew Report

Navy? :navy:

Good luck. If it happens for you, just remember: it's still gay if you're underway.

Seriously though, I know of a single seat organization that will take a look at you (STS) no matter what your qual is...

(as long as you have the hours and the skills, of course)

Very true. You just hired a tanker guy.

We did? Shit.

Probably a good time for the periodic recruiting post. While SPOO is being tongue-in-cheek about the hiring, the fact remains that we hire Tanker pilots, Fighter pilots, Helo pilots, Strat Lift pilots, Bomber pilots, Specialized Herc pilots, DV support pilots, Tac Lift pilots, FAIPs, Reconnaissance pilots, Navy pilots, Marine pilots, Coast Guard pilots, NSA pilots (although it has been a few years and it was before the mainstream knew about NSA), and even RPA pilots.

We are funded through 2015 with a positive outlook for the years beyond that.

If you have the mins and want to be a member of this brother/sisterhood, apply. If you have the skills to pass the interview, we'll offer you the job.

If you're interested, take a look at the application process on the Beale portal page and call the recruiter at DSN 368-4447.

Edited by Kuma

Just to clarify: we used to hire Navy/Marine/Coast Guard pilots for an interservice transfer (IST) to the U-2. That is no more, for obvious reasons.

Kuma, correct me if that changed in the last week or so.

Edited by Huggyu2

Very good point Huggy. In order for us to interview/hire an interservice transfer, Big Blue has to be able to accept them onto the rolls. In the current climate of VSP, RIF, and SERB, it is unlikely for one to transfer into the Air Force.

For the AF pilots out there, the point is that it doesn't matter what you fly now, you are still eligible for our program.

... it doesn't matter what you fly now, you are still eligible for our program.

And there is no requirement to have ever flown the T-38.

I had someone tell me last week they didn't apply because they thought they had to have flown it.

Guest CAVEMAN

And there is no requirement to have ever flown the T-38.

I had someone tell me last week they didn't apply because they thought they had to have flown it.

What if I want to return to my airframe after a couple years? I know,I know, but assuming I got tired of it.

What if I want to return to my airframe after a couple years? I know,I know, but assuming I got tired of it.

If you aren't willing to entertain the idea of at least 3 years after training, you probablly need not apply. We have to get our money's worth out of you just like any other MWS. Honestly, we don't really run into this problem very often however. Odds are, you will like the U-2 well enough to stick around a while....assuming we like you enough to hire you.

Ten+ years ago when I considered the U-2, the issue was you became an ACC asset w/ potential follow-ons of heavies- J-Stars, etc. Is that a valid consideration today?

Getting to fly T-38s and U-2s might be worth the later billets. You are potentially leaving your MAJCOM, for better or worse, correct?

Getting to fly T-38s and U-2s might be worth the later billets. You are potentially leaving your MAJCOM, for better or worse, correct?

Partially correct. You may indeed be leaving your MAJCOM. The caveat however is that nothing in the AF is an absolute. We have had pilots leave the program move on to a suprisingly varied number of assignments. The most easy answer is certainly another ACC recce assignment, but that is by no means written in stone. Huggy can definately comment with more detail on this, but don't let this assumption stop you if you are interested in the program. We generally do our best to take care of our own.

Wheelz

Edited by WheelzUp