U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

I'm old, but not that old!! No, I was a generation later. I did meet him several times in the early 70s when he attended pilot reunions at D-M. Very nice guy; quiet, but easy to talk to, except if you asked about his visit to the Soviet Union, then he was just quiet! When I got there in 1973, some of our supervision knew him, and some even flew with him in F-84s before they joined the U-2 program.

• Upvote 2

I'm old, but not that old!! No, I was a generation later. I did meet him several times in the early 70s when he attended pilot reunions at D-M. Very nice guy; quiet, but easy to talk to, except if you asked about his visit to the Soviet Union, then he was just quiet! When I got there in 1973, some of our supervision knew him, and some even flew with him in F-84s before they joined the U-2 program.

Hah, sorry, sir; for some reason I was thinking that whole incident was post-Vietnam.

Was he well respected in the community? Did you guys think the treatment he received when he got home wasn't right?

Yes, as far as I know he was well respected within the flyers. Many in the community thought he was treated pretty poorly...sort of a Vietnam returnee-like treatment from the people who sent him, because the incident-fallout embarrassed them. No matter that the risk was on the table and they sent him anyway, then didn't want to deal with the problem they themselves caused. At least that's my view.

How long does it take to get everyone suited up to take that picture?

Not that long, maybe 5-10 min/person? Not flying high, so you don't have to do any leak checks, pre-breath, etc.

Damn, those things sucked. Luckily, I didn't have to fly them much before going to the R-model and wearing the Cadillac suit!

I've heard they were pretty awful, bruising and whatnot.

I personally consider Francis Gary Powers to be one of the most important Americans to have ever lived. His fateful flight ended up serving as the catalyst that propelled our space-based surveillance efforts. Those early programs created not only valuable intelligence, but firmly cemented our place at the head of the table in space operations. The ability to utilize space for intelligence, communication, navigation, weather, etc. has helped America remain a super power economically and militarily. Without him being shot down, who knows what the future would have looked like.

He's a hero in my book.

• Upvote 2

I personally consider Francis Gary Powers to be one of the most important Americans to have ever lived. His fateful flight ended up serving as the catalyst that propelled our space-based surveillance efforts. Those early programs created not only valuable intelligence, but firmly cemented our place at the head of the table in space operations. The ability to utilize space for intelligence, communication, navigation, weather, etc. has helped America remain a super power economically and militarily. Without him being shot down, who knows what the future would have looked like.

He's a hero in my book.

Never really considered that aspect of it, thanks gravedigger.

I personally consider Francis Gary Powers to be one of the most important Americans to have ever lived...

He's a hero in my book.

Not surprising. I mean, he was a Deuce driver and all. Did you expect anything less?

Here's the declassified history from the satellite side: http://nro.gov/history/csnr/corona/index.html

The flyers would probably be interested in the Star Catcher piece. Catching falling canisters from space with a C-119/C-130 and being stationed in Hawaii, not a bad life.

Edited by Gravedigger

The recruiting office does not look at any airframe more favorably than another. Getting released from your community will depend on a number of factors including: manning, AFPC quotas, time on station, etc. AFSOC is a tough nut to crack - there have been two guys that have achieved escape velocity in the last 10 years. (2004, 2011). The Mc12 guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but most (all?) line pilots are still TDY to that airframe. You'll have to work your application through your original unit, not directly from the Liberty. Important to note: You will not be considered for an interview unless AFPC agrees to release you to the program if hired.

Dude, read the whole thread. Lots of good info here.

Edited by Spoo
  • Upvote 1

I escaped AFSOC in 2011 for the U-2, and still to this day am amazed it happened. With everything I hear from those still in AFSOC I find it extremely doubtful people are going to be released. That being said, you never know unless you ask. Currently IST's are very difficult to get approved as are releases for fighter or bomber guys. If you have specific questions give the recruiting office a call and they will give you the latest info.

I stand corrected, apparently there are "a lot" of guys permanently assigned to the Mc12. In that case, you're application would be worked through the 9RW.

Aloha, I fixed my post.

I escaped AFSOC in 2011 for the U-2, and still to this day am amazed it happened. With everything I hear from those still in AFSOC I find it extremely doubtful people are going to be released. That being said, you never know unless you ask. Currently IST's are very difficult to get approved as are releases for fighter or bomber guys. If you have specific questions give the recruiting office a call and they will give you the latest info.

I would say this depends on what you fly in AFSOC. Based on what happens with the sequester, AFSOC may drawdown its legacy Herk fleet much faster than originally planned. If this happens there's a going to be a glut of pilots that will need to cross-train into MC-130J, CV-22, U-28 (or MC-12). If you're looking to get released in the next 2-3 fiscal years you're chances of getting released are probably better than they've been in the last 10 years.

I would say this depends on what you fly in AFSOC. Based on what happens with the sequester, AFSOC may drawdown its legacy Herk fleet much faster than originally planned. If this happens there's a going to be a glut of pilots that will need to cross-train into MC-130J, CV-22, U-28 (or MC-12). If you're looking to get released in the next 2-3 fiscal years you're chances of getting released are probably better than they've been in the last 10 years.

Sounds like you know a thing or two. I've tried B2 for the last two years. Denied for critical manning... U28 dude... Sorry that I thought being a prior B1 dude with AFSOC stink would be a good thing.

I didn't even bother this year with orders to Cannon. Aloha had the support of some great senior leadership and I am drooling over his Facebook pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This highlights a good point; the hiring landscape is constantly changing. Yesterday it was AFSOC, today they're not letting fighter/bomber guys move, tomorrow could be airlifters or tankers. Your opportunity may not be today, but you never know when the pendulum of AFPC manning will swing your way. Stay thirsty my friends...

Edited by Spoo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...