U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

Not necessarily "the best", but have you read "The Black Watch" by Ernie Gann?

The events are true, and everyone in there except the main character are "real people".

Amazoned a copy for 1 cent, no shit. It was a discard from some library in Virginia. Is the story about how the static U-2 at Beale got there really true? That's one of the craziest flying stories I've ever heard

Is the story about how the static U-2 at Beale got there really true? That's one of the craziest flying stories I've ever heard

Yep. The pilot's name is Ed Beaumont. We'd like to find him to get him to our 2015 reunion. If anyone happens to know him, please help out.

Somewhere, I got some pictures that one of our maintenance guys gave me from the accident. He was part of the recovery team that got there a few hours after the accident.

... what's with the ROCAF pilots?

Sometime after 1903, Asian agents stole our aviation technology, and eventually, they learned to fly. Crazy, I know.

Seriously, though... what do you mean?

why were Chinese pilots flying U-2s?

U.S. gov't program in the early 60s to provide the ROCAF with aircraft for overflight of the mainland. We provided the acft and training, and shared the take, they flew the missions.

• 1 month later...

Anyone that would like more U-2 info from me, please pm me. I'm not checking the forums anymore, but will strive to check my inbox on occasion.

You're still active over on airlinepilotcentral. Planning on going back to the airlines?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone that would like more U-2 info from me, please pm me. I'm not checking the forums anymore, but will strive to check my inbox on occasion.

Quitter.

• 1 month later...

Yup great videography there!

One posted by Beale AFB today:

Although I think the commander got his CARE acronym wrong! (Cabin not cockpit?)

Well, for the Duece, there is no cabin, only the cockpit. Also, I believe the acronym is from the official Air Force/Lockheed project name for improving the U-2'scockpit environment, not a more widely used generic term applying to other aircraft.

Well, for the Duece, there is no cabin, only the cockpit. Also, I believe the acronym is from the official Air Force/Lockheed project name for improving the U-2'scockpit environment, not a more widely used generic term applying to other aircraft.

I got Cabin from quite a few sites I've read it on, that's all - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=cr&ei=5CQuUqvGPIPV0QWh7IGQBA#q=Cabin+Altitude+Reduction+Effort

After Googling 'Cockpit Altitude Reduction Effort' too, it seems it's 50/50 on what people use! (I'll take your word on it officially being Cockpit though!)

The Strike Eagle has a cockpit but we still use the term cabin pressure.

Cabin pressure is the correct term. My documents say the program name for this particular mod was "Cockpit..." not "Cabin...", but frankly it doesn't really matter. I'm sorry I even mentioned it.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the finest Airmen I've had the privilege of working with. God speed SSgt Stalesky.

935884_620190704668435_894952556_n.jpg

UNDISCLOSED LOCATION - Several members of the 99th Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron practiced this tradition by honoring recently passed U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Suzett "Suzy" Stalesky, physiological support division technician, with a memorial flight at an undisclosed location in Southwest Asia Aug. 12, 2013.

To honor Stalesky, 99th ERS flew a U-2 Dragon Lady with special chalk art. Each piece of art had a special meaning, the beach setting to show Stalesky's love for summer time, the American flag showing her love of country and being in the military, and the PSD van representing her role in the U-2 community.

Read more: http://www.dvidshub....n#ixzz2g6x5Tw32

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...