Doing Well in UPT

Scooter14

The academics are not that hard, but do require effort.  I've seen engineers not do great because they over-think the shit out of things; of course I've seen many do great.  Most people usually blow off steam Fri night through Sun afternoon, then do some studying for a few hours on Sun.  Or maybe millennials these days just show up on Mon morning asking to be spoon fed everything because there was no time to study on Sunday since skinny jean shopping took longer than expected.

• Haha 2

Or maybe millennials these days just show up on Mon morning asking to be spoon fed everything because there was no time to study on Sunday since skinny jean shopping took longer than expected.

You laugh, but a real life student at CBM pressed to test on this a few years ago. Not even the third ride in T-6s, pre-mission brief:

IP: “So let’s get to what we wanted to work on from the last ride. Did you study up on on the stuff we talked about?”

Stan: “No sir.”

IP: “No? Everything alright at home?”

Stan: “Oh yeah that’s fine, I just got wasted in Memphis all weekend.”

Might still be the record for fastest ground hook. Stunningly the system actually worked, and got this student eventually removed from UPT. Stan is still out is out there somewhere in big blue, no idea where.

It ain’t rocket surgery. Put the study time in, care enough to want to do well, and chairfly. Flying well is a bonus, but even if you aren’t, we can get you there if you’re putting the ground time in.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

3 hours ago, brabus said:

The academics are not that hard, but do require effort.  I've seen engineers not do great because they over-think the shit out of things; of course I've seen many do great.  Most people usually blow off steam Fri night through Sun afternoon, then do some studying for a few hours on Sun.  Or maybe millennials these days just show up on Mon morning asking to be spoon fed everything because there was no time to study on Sunday since skinny jean shopping took longer than expected.

Speaking of skinny jeans, when are us millenials going to get our “skinny jean” style flight suits? 

Rote memory is a pilot trainee’s most useful mental skill.  Simple mental arithmetic is helpful. 

The actual tech is high school level.  A gender studies major with a good memory and otherwise not an idiot will do just fine in training.

Edited by JimNtexas

3 hours ago, Hacker said:

Punctuation Nazi sez: inappropriate apostrophe use, remain in AETC one more tour.

Does B-Course in AETC count?

52 minutes ago, JimNtexas said:

A gender studies major with a good memory and otherwise not an idiot will do just fine in

You're not wrong.

• 1 month later...

Any idea how much VR sim flying on the side can help out? Anyone have experience doing so and think it helps? I mean I doubt it could hurt very much. At Laughlin we were just briefed on Pilot Training Next which is a crash course training program that utilizes tons of VR training to help pilots progress faster, and we were told the results have been above average so far. My roommates and I have XPlane11 and a Vive and have been flying some DA-20 out of Pueblo before heading to IFT, and it's pretty cool lol. There are also really nice models of T-6's, not sure about 38's or 1's. 

• 4 weeks later...

Former C-5 Loadmaster.  When I got out none of the reserves where hiring due to the Airline down turn.  I see now that Heavies are looking for Pilots.  If you get picked up by a reserve squadron, do you still attend this same UPT?  I couldn't tell from reading through the posts.  I see a lot of talk about selection, and was thinking.  If you are coming in from the reserves you probably are already guaranteed an air frame.

Thx,

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 7:56 AM, GeekUSA said:

Former C-5 Loadmaster.  When I got out none of the reserves where hiring due to the Airline down turn.  I see now that Heavies are looking for Pilots.  If you get picked up by a reserve squadron, do you still attend this same UPT?  I couldn't tell from reading through the posts.  I see a lot of talk about selection, and was thinking.  If you are coming in from the reserves you probably are already guaranteed an air frame.

Thx,

Guard, Reserves, and Active all attend everything together now. TFOT, IFT (I think), UPT, and follow on. Just getting picked up is different for each one.