Applying to the AF and Marines at the same time?

I would think people would rather fly the Cobra than the Hercules.

There is not much flying off of / being stuck on a carrier for 8 months when you fly the KC-130.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think people would rather fly the Cobra than the Hercules.

Not everyone wants to blow stuff up and even then, those who would like to blow stuff up don't want rotary. Plus like was mentioned above... the deployments.

And for those of you considering, I went to Marine Corps OCS and was injured 3 weeks in due to stress fractures. It's VERY physically demanding and mentally they drain you as well. Supposedly the mental part is the tough part but in my opinion it was the easiest. If anyone has any questions about this and there aren't any Marine aviators around I'll be happy to answer questions. They are a great group of people but remember, you're a Marine first and then whatever your job is. If you're looking for an "in" on a pilot slot, this is a quick way in because they are looking for a lot of candidates, however a lot of people wash out and you DEFINITELY will earn that slot going through OCS and after that TBS. I also can tell you that EVERY guy in my platoon that had an aviation PLC/OCC contract wanted F-18/Harrier/JSF. There was even a Marine Force Recon sniper Sergeant (2 tours in Iraq) who was going through OCS to become an officer to pursue his dreams of becoming a fighter pilot... I thought that was pretty cool..

Edited by davidg

Guest Michael
Not everyone wants to blow stuff up and even then, those who would like to blow stuff up don't want rotary. Plus like was mentioned above... the deployments.

And for those of you considering, I went to Marine Corps OCS and was injured 3 weeks in due to stress fractures. It's VERY physically demanding and mentally they drain you as well. Supposedly the mental part is the tough part but in my opinion it was the easiest. If anyone has any questions about this and there aren't any Marine aviators around I'll be happy to answer questions. They are a great group of people but remember, you're a Marine first and then whatever your job is. If you're looking for an "in" on a pilot slot, this is a quick way in because they are looking for a lot of candidates, however a lot of people wash out and you DEFINITELY will earn that slot going through OCS and after that TBS. I also can tell you that EVERY guy in my platoon that had an aviation PLC/OCC contract wanted F-18/Harrier/JSF. There was even a Marine Force Recon sniper Sergeant (2 tours in Iraq) who was going through OCS to become an officer to pursue his dreams of becoming a fighter pilot... I thought that was pretty cool..

Were you injured in your ankles? Did you have the braces in your shoes the recommend? Is there any way your injury could have been prevented or is it just pure luck when these things happen?

Edited by Michael

Were you injured in your ankles? Did you have the braces in your shoes the recommend? Is there any way your injury could have been prevented or is it just pure luck when these things happen?

I don't know about davidg, but I rolled my ankle at Marine OCS and it didn't heal very quickly so they gave me the boot. I suppose you can do alot to prevent injuries at OCS, but you are constantly running on gravel roads, in the mud and up and down the hills in Virginia so something will usually give no matter what you do to prevent it.

Have wanted to be a Marine for a long time, but was recently disqualified in application process (No I will not discuss the details publicly). BAD OFFICER and a quota that's already met ='s ZERO support for your interest. So anyone who's thinking seriously about applying, do so when your OSO recruiter is sticking his head out there looking for applicants. It's all about quota. They will send out waves of people at a time and then do the same process over again to meet quota's.

My buddy returned from OCS recently and did the 10 week haul. Sometimes on libo he'd send me texts saying how it's the hardest thing he's ever done, but the coolest. When he got home he called me and told me over 2 hours of solid details. First 5 weeks getting only 1-2 hrs of sleep a night, challenge courses (ropes, ladders, fights, etc), carrying a pack and rifle everywhere you go, immediate consequences for mistakes, academics that were elementary but hard because lack of sleep, preparation, and over all fatigue. What he stressed more than anything was being physically prepared. He said it will get to the point where you literally can't take it anymore and you have to keep going.

All in all, he can't wait for TBS and said it was the hardest thing he's ever done and the best.

If you are interested in being a Marine, be sure to know what your getting yourself into. They are a certain breed.

Check out this SITE for OCS details and cool pics.

-Yerfer

One thing to consider is how much flying you want to do. In the AF a pilot is primarily a flyer. You will be in a cockpit for the majority of your 20 years unless you choose to request something else. For Marines/Navy you are primarily an Officer and expected to do a number of tours outside the cockpit. From the way it was explained to me by one of the Marine IPs is that you will do about 5-7 years out of 20 actually flying if you want to remain competitive for promotions throughout your career.

One thing to consider is how much flying you want to do. In the AF a pilot is primarily a flyer. You will be in a cockpit for the majority of your 20 years unless you choose to request something else. For Marines/Navy you are primarily an Officer and expected to do a number of tours outside the cockpit. From the way it was explained to me by one of the Marine IPs is that you will do about 5-7 years out of 20 actually flying if you want to remain competitive for promotions throughout your career.

Precisely. I sat with a IP from the Sharpshooters squadron (Hornets) and he said the Marines are looking for officers that will be well rounded and up for multiple tasks (FAC tours, RAG instructors, UAV tours, Field Artillery, Recruiting, OCS instructors, and anything else the Marines needs).

Another guy from the Green Knights squadron said he's lucky if he gets to fly twice a week due to other stuff that's non flight related (btw he's a squadron commander). Typical 12 hr days and then staying after for plus hours to stay proficient in his flying tactics and such. His main point was, if you want to do more flying, Go Navy or Air Force.

I can say for my uncle who flew Navy that most of his career all the way up to Lt. Commander was spent in the cockpit. This may not always be the case, but from his words he said you will be doing more than enough flying.

Anyways, back to AFROTC where I might still have a chance at a slot! Woo!

Guest Michael
Precisely. I sat with a IP from the Sharpshooters squadron (Hornets) and he said the Marines are looking for officers that will be well rounded and up for multiple tasks (FAC tours, RAG instructors, UAV tours, Field Artillery, Recruiting, OCS instructors, and anything else the Marines needs).

What does IP stand for, besides Irish pennant? And what does FAC and RAG mean?

Edited by Michael

Guest CAVEMAN

IP - Instructor Pilot

FAC _ Forward Air Controller

Fleet Replacement Squadron (aka RAG). Basically your aircraft specific school. Kind of like the Airforce B Course.

What I was told is that the AF is 'downsizing' and the Marines are 'growing' as they are a more mobile force...

The big thing here is that OCC is 10 weeks of absolute hell. You become a Marine THEN you become a pilot. you have a pilot slot when you sign up but you still will become a Marine first. My buddy who is flying T45's said the amount of running and carrying your m16 around is sickening. He had shinsplints. Guys washout not because they are incompetent but because of bad luck; IE a guy falls in front of you, you trip over him hurt yourself and you're gone...He did the two summer program as he was still in college. His first session 40% made it, of that 40% half came back for the second session.

He himself wanted Helo's and is still a little upset he was asigned to jets

interesting stuff...

If something out of your control happens...i.e. broken ankle or such by chance then they should let you come back. If you did something stupid and got hurt because of it that's a different story though. A buddy of mine broke his leg at Marine OCS after someone hit him off some stairs and he's going back next summer.

It is true that you are a Marine first, pilot second. They say in the Air Force that you're an officer first and pilot second but the Marines stay true to that far better than the Air Force.

Hey sorry I didn't get to this until today. *whoa I just wrote a lot, sorry but bringing back the memories made me remember a lot of stuff*

No I wasn't injured in the ankles, I developed stress fractures on my shins. It's basically what happens when you go one step past shin splints. I did not have "braces" in my shoes however they did issue you inserts along with all of your gear. I just brought my regular running shoes but you don't use them that often after the first week or so, you start wearing boots every day. What I needed were custom orthotics which create an artificial arch for my feet. I had some created by a doctor and now wear them in my shoes every day and can run like I should have been able to... So yes, if I had the orthotics I would have probably been able to prevent THAT injury but who knows what else could have happened? I had a buddy from my platoon tell me he separated his shoulder in the 7th week and got sent home... 3 weeks away from earning a commission... I heard of a guy getting sent home on the last week for I don't remember what, but only DAYS away from graduation.

As far as pure luck, there is some luck involved. Running through the hills of Quantico you would have to be very careful on the trails because

1.) you're running at a fast pace

2.) you're tired

3.) there are freaking tree stumps and roots sticking out all over the place...

I saw a guy at full speed trip over a root and fall and roll down a hill. Cut his hands and his knees up and the Sgt. Instructor was just screaming at the top of his lungs "GET UP YOU F***ING P***Y!!!!! I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU SLOW DOWN MY FORMATION I WILL HAVE YOU SENT HOME FASTER THAN..." etc. When we did the obstacle course you would run this fairly intense course and at the end had to climb straight up this rope, I don't know the height but it was pretty tall. Guys would get to the top and wouldn't have the strength to let themselves down slowly so they'd slide the entire way down getting rope burn so bad they'd bleed and some guys instead of getting rope burn would just fall the entire way. Either way they'd just get yelled at and ridiculed even if they were hurt. (If they were hurt seriously of course they'd be helped) What sucked for us is the guys with rope burn would have medical tape and gauze wrapped all over their hands and the Sgt. Instructors (they aren't called Drill Instructors at OCS) would make fun of them saying they wacked off too hard thinking of their boyfriends back home :thumbsup: If you laughed at that (which many people did) then you "lost your bearing" and then had to do a multitude of things that sucked. If you want to survive bring your flame suit and hope that you have very thick skin because they will single each and every person out at least once. I remember getting singled out by the Platoon Commander (Officer in charge of the platoon, he was a Captain)... we all had to write an essay explaining why we wanted to be a Marine Officer. He called everyone one by one and ppl gave their reasons, he smoked some ppl for stupid replies and then came me. My response was "I want to be a leader of Marines" because that is EXACTLY what my recruiter (OSO) told me to say, he said that's what they wanted to hear. Platoon Commander says "That's interesting. Are you telling me that the platoon sergeant who takes you everywhere isn't a leader? How about your members of your platoon right now that are enlisted trying to become Officers? What about the enlisted personnel leading troops into battle in Iraq, are they not leaders of Marines?" I didn't know what to say and then got destroyed because when he asked me why I didn't want to enlist. I told him "I am just about finished with my degree and I want to be an Officer like my father and grandfather before me." He says "Oh so now because you have a college degree you're too good to enlist? You're too smart?" :bash: I was so screwed I just gave up and said "I should have thought out my reason for becoming a Marine further before putting it on paper." :notworthy: Damn I still feel stupid from that haha but I'm sure no one but me has thought twice about it because everyone there got blasted.

And one more thing, I was in excellent shape before I went. Best shape in my life. Could max out the pullups at 20, max out the situps at 100 (everyone should be able to do this) and was running a 21:30 3 mile. I couldn't imagine going there out of shape, you'd be sent home in a few days. I remember being winded just after freaking stretching/warm ups... Oh and just because you got to Quantico doesn't even mean you get to attend OCS. Before "pick-up" (watch the video below, I don't want to explain) we all had to run an initial PFT. If you failed it you get sent home. This is BEFORE anything even started. During the 3 mile run for the initial PFT some guy in front of me went down and didn't get up, I ran up to help but they yelled at me to keep running while the Navy Corpsman/medics ran up to help him. Heard later he had gone into cardiac arrest... Pretty crazy.

My buddy returned from OCS recently and did the 10 week haul. Sometimes on libo he'd send me texts saying how it's the hardest thing he's ever done, but the coolest. When he got home he called me and told me over 2 hours of solid details. First 5 weeks getting only 1-2 hrs of sleep a night, challenge courses (ropes, ladders, fights, etc), carrying a pack and rifle everywhere you go, immediate consequences for mistakes, academics that were elementary but hard because lack of sleep, preparation, and over all fatigue. What he stressed more than anything was being physically prepared. He said it will get to the point where you literally can't take it anymore and you have to keep going.

All in all, he can't wait for TBS and said it was the hardest thing he's ever done and the best.

If you are interested in being a Marine, be sure to know what your getting yourself into. They are a certain breed.

Check out this SITE for OCS details and cool pics.

Good post, I can definitely verify that it was the hardest thing I've done and also the coolest. Running with M16's, obstacle courses, combat training, a bunch of motivated young candidates, good fun. You don't get very much sleep at all. I think the most I would get was around 5 hours and less if I had "firewatch" that night. I still get the chills thinking about my sergeant instructor and when he showed us how to hold and move with the M16. I remember the grins everyone got when he shouldered that rifle because it looked so badass and perfect.

VERY TRUE about the academics. I hated that crap. It was so soothing to be out of the heat and in that big air conditioned classroom being TAUGHT and not yelled at. Falling asleep was easy to do there. It was bad, we'd all have to look out for each other and hit each other to ensure we stayed awake. The tests were so EASY compared to college but what's crazy is I failed a test because I was just so fatigued my mind couldn't focus when studying. One answer would look good until you saw the second and you'd second guess yourself... I got a 77 and you need an 80 to pass tests.

As far as the link posted, it's good because it's the official site but if you're serious and interested here is the best site

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/class186/videos.php

Watch those videos and you'll get a bit of an idea of what it's like.

If something out of your control happens...i.e. broken ankle or such by chance then they should let you come back.

It depends. I had to stand in front of the Battalion XO before I left to explain what happened to me and whether or not I should or should not be allowed to re-apply. I was doing really well up until injury so he said I could come back. But that isn't always the case because sometimes they won't let ppl come back.

Sorry I wrote so much, I'm aware that this is an Air Force board but figured my story could help someone out in making a choice. I know I didn't finish OCS which sucked, but in a way I'm kinda glad because I didn't really research enough into it to find out things like how little I might fly and I'd have nearly a 75% chance of flying rotary. I heard "guaranteed pilot slot" and that was it for me... Anyways, let me know if anyone needs anything else clarified.

Edited by davidg

Damn, just found this thread and my head is spinning from all the bad gouge. I spent 12 years in the Marines flying Harriers before I transferred to the AF. If you have questions about Marine Corps officer programs or Marine Corps aviation please ask away or PM. It's been a few years since I went through the process myself but many thing have not changed and I spent enough time in the fleet to give you the scoop on what the life is like. And after having now served some time in the AF I can also offer some contrast between Naval Aviation and AF aviation.

I won't advocate one over the other because some people are fundamentally suited to one or the other, but I can at least offer some honest insight on the road you are headed down.

Cheers

Guest Michael

Thanks DavidG and everyone else. I've recently spoken with an officer selector, and I was sure I wanted to join the Marines if I pass the aviation health test, but because of these forums I'm not so sure. Now I'm kind of leading towards the Navy.

How is the guaranteed pilot thing the Marines has different from the Navy? If you pass the vision test (and all the other health requirements) and do well on the academic test, how likely is it that they will have you do something other than flying?

The other thing I like about the Marines is that you can attend PLC during summer break during college. Is that possible in the Navy? The Navy seems to want me to transfer to West Point before becoming an officer.

Guest CAVEMAN

West Point - for Navy?

Who are you talking to?

The Navy program is as good as any of the other services. Guranteed seat in flight school.

Thanks DavidG and everyone else. I've recently spoken with an officer selector, and I was sure I wanted to join the Marines if I pass the aviation health test, but because of these forums I'm not so sure. Now I'm kind of leading towards the Navy.

How is the guaranteed pilot thing the Marines has different from the Navy? If you pass the vision test (and all the other health requirements) and do well on the academic test, how likely is it that they will have you do something other than flying?

The other thing I like about the Marines is that you can attend PLC during summer break during college. Is that possible in the Navy? The Navy seems to want me to transfer to West Point before becoming an officer.

No problem. But look, don't let people on the forums talk you out of becoming a Marine though... If you can get through PLC you will have a sense of pride and accomplishment that many wished they could have... Great thing about that program is if you finish it before you graduate, you have the CHOICE to either take your commission or say "hey, it isn't for me. I think I'll try another route." You don't HAVE to become an officer even after you finish OCS. Marines do not want people who don't want to be Marines.. The Marines are a PROUD group and intensely loyal to each other... I really liked that about them.

Talk to Vick. What I shared was my experience with OCS and letting you know it's very tough. I have ZERO experience of actually being a Marine aviator or even a Marine for that matter. I was just going off the "gouge" that I've heard. However Vick apparently is the real deal, he is a true source as opposed to hearsay from a third party. If you're into "tactical" aviation, this would be the service for you because everything they do involves supporting the guys on the ground. My dad now flies for the airlines and has a bunch of friends who were Marine aviators and absolutely loved it. He told me that one of his co-pilots recently was a CH-53 pilot and said the mission made for some intense and fun flying. Low levels through canyons and stuff, using terrain masking etc... I think that would be VERY cool.

Oh and what are you talking about West Point to get into Navy???? I had a friend just apply to Navy OCS and I know a guy who went through Navy OCS and is now going through Nav school for Prowlers... You don't have to go to West Point.

Edited by davidg

Guest Michael
West Point - for Navy?

Who are you talking to?

The Navy program is as good as any of the other services. Guranteed seat in flight school.

So why did the Marines OCO tell me that they are the only branch of service that can guarantee me a position as a pilot? Was that a lie?

If you're into "tactical" aviation, this would be the service for you because everything they do involves supporting the guys on the ground.

What does "tactical aviation" mean? How would a typical mission of an F-18 pilot in the Navy differ from the mission of an F-18 pilot in the Marines?

Edited by Michael

Guest CAVEMAN
So why did the Marines OCO tell me that they are the only branch of service that can guarantee me a position as a pilot? Was that a lie?

Marine OSO you mean?

Lie? I cannot answer why he told you anything he told you.

I know one thing, the USMC has TONs of guranteed aviation slots per year. I can say probably more than the Airforce.

What does "tactical aviation" mean? How would a typical mission of an F-18 pilot in the Navy differ from the mission of an F-18 pilot in the Marines?

Alot of air to mud stuff. Pretty much no difference between the Navy and the Marine Corps for Hornets.

Some important details;

1. Guaranteed pilot slot- This is only as good as the qualifications you meet as a candidate. You must first finish your application process which entails a passing PFA, medical, ASTB (444 or 666), the actual app. packet itself. After that, your stuff is sent to a board where they will say yes or no. If they say yes, you will go to OCS for either 6 on 6 (PLC apps) or 10 straight (OCC apps or PLC combined side error's). You must complete OCS to commission.

After OCS, if your under an air contract, you will get your flt physical to see if your qualified to be a pilot/nav. This is before TBS (The Basic School). So if you don't pass that you still have the option to leave the Marines all together or continue down the path to some other job.

If you are qualified for flight you'll stay on go to TBS. It's approx 5.5/6 months long of ground school where you will learn guns, briefings, etc. All Marine officers must also complete this before moving onto their actual job specialties.

So, assuming you do all that was said above, its possible to fly for the Marines, but it doesn't come free. Their will be many extremely hard things you must complete before you will get the chance to go to pilot training. If you are determined and don't get hurt, you can make it.

Something to keep in mind through the application process. Make it VERY clear that you are applying for SNA (Student Naval Aviator) and not SNFO (Student Naval Flight Officer). If you apply for SNFO, your looking at a WSO slot. Some people apply directly for this, but some people don't make the distinction between the 2 and end up in the back seat.

If your interested in being a Marine officer make sure you stay clear of enlisted recruiting people. Go only to a Marines OSO and take it from there. If your recruiter is already a pilot, that's a good start because they will help you make the right steps. Just make sure you don't lie for your recruiter to make their job easier. I did that and got screwed from the Marines altogether. If you feel dishonest about anything your asked to do, stick to your guns and stand by your integrity. I was disqualified after making it because I outed my officer, and I'm proud of my decision.

Good luck to you if you decide on the Marines and make it. I would have been proud to be a Marine.

They can't guarantee you a position as a pilot, they can guarantee you an aviation contract if you can qualify for it. An aviation contract guarantees you a crack at flight school once you have satisifed all the prerequisite training (OCS, commissioning, TBS, NAMI physical).

The comment about Marine and Navy Hornets being and doing essentially the same thing is almost right. The distinction between them is that Marine aviation always has been and always be about direct support to the grunts. So even though Marine Hornets devote a good chunk of time to the fighter mission they are first and foremost an attack asset (whether they will admit it or not). Whereas in AF parlance anything with a pointy nose is a fighter, Naval, and in particular Marine Corps, aviation, makes the distinction between fighter and attack. As a Harrier pilot I would never claim to be a fighter guy - I was an attack guy. Navy Hornet guys are fighter guys in the purest sense, the Naval equivalent of -15 guys.

Tactical aviation refers to the point I made before - Marine aviation exists to support the grunts. The cornerstone of the Marine Corps is the rifleman - everything builds on that...fire team, squad, platoon, company, battalion, regiment, etc... Marine aviation supports by transporting them (choppers, Ospreys, and -130s) and providing fires for them (attack helos and jets). The AF has some fine and professional pilots and the Army has some solid chopper pilots, but nobody does close air support like Marine air. As joint training and operations continue to improve they may lose their advantage, but combined arms is doctrinal and they are serious about it. You may hear guys talk about what a pain in the ass The Basic School is, but the whole point of it is to teach you where you, as a Marine aviator, fit into the big Marine Corps picture. Not only that, but as you make your run-in to provide close air support in your fast mover, you have some concept and appreciation for the grunts, the forward air controller and fire support team, tankers, artillerymen, mortarmen, the helo lift package, the helo attack package, and so on at work below you. Moreover, you probably know many of them, cause you went through TBS with them and you'll all be back on the boat together in a few days. Makes for a very tight team and that's what they are talking about when they say you are a Marine officer first.

As far as choppers go, the Marine Corps has lots of them. Take a look at the FY09 Marine Aviation Plan (http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/AVN/FY2009%20AVPLAN.pdf), page 3-2. RW pilots far outnumber the FW pilots. I'll be honest, when I went to flight school I didn't want to fly helos but I knew the odds favored that I would. Even so, somebody has to fly the FW - so you bust your ass through primary and hope you made the jet cut and then you hope that there are jet slots available the week you select. There are some guys that want helos or -130s from the start, but they are generally in the minority. For the most part, anyone who is being honest will tell you that they are gunning for a jet slot. Funny thing is how many helo guys you meet down the road in your career who "had jet grades" but chose helos. Whatever. In hindsight I think it is safe to say that if you want a thrill in your flying you wouldn't be disappointed with most of Marine Corps aviation. The only benign communities might be Prowlers or maybe -130s, but they have their fun too. Select helos and you'll fly nap of the earth to your hearts content on NVGs in low light with a load of grunts in the back or a rack of hellfires and rockets.

I've made lots of generalizations here but the intent is to impart some of the unique flavor that defines Marine Corps aviation. Do your homework on all the programs and keep asking questions to find the service and program that most appeals to you.

Edited by vick

Guest CAVEMAN

Vick:

I thought the Navy made changes in their Fighter employment after the cold war. Did the F-14 not have the sole fighter role and the F-18 did a little bit of everything?

I guess with the retirement of the F-14 and advent of the Rhino, the missions was merging. Legacy Hornets doing their thing while the Rhinos are filling for the Cats.

Cave

Well everyone drops bombs these days. Certainly the Navy is training and operating to the multi-role mission that the Hornet and Super Hornet are capable of, but -14s and even S-3s have dropped their fair share of ordnance in recent years. Not a whole lot of Migs that need fighting these days (not that there won't be sometime down the road...) so they did what they had to to stay in the fight. But the mission for Navy Hornets and Marine Hornets remain distinct from one another. When the JSF finally gets here the distinction should become clearer as Marine FW tac air moves back to operating exclusively off of amphib class shipping.

Guest Michael
Well everyone drops bombs these days. Certainly the Navy is training and operating to the multi-role mission that the Hornet and Super Hornet are capable of, but -14s and even S-3s have dropped their fair share of ordnance in recent years. Not a whole lot of Migs that need fighting these days (not that there won't be sometime down the road...) so they did what they had to to stay in the fight. But the mission for Navy Hornets and Marine Hornets remain distinct from one another. When the JSF finally gets here the distinction should become clearer as Marine FW tac air moves back to operating exclusively off of amphib class shipping.

Does anyone know if I can go to OCS during the summer while I am still in college for the Navy like I can for the Marines? I haven't been able to get in contact with the local Navy officer selection office.

I'd take that question over to airwarriors.com. Before I'd ask it there though I'd make aggressive use of the search function to see if that question has been previously addressed.

I'd take that question over to airwarriors.com. Before I'd ask it there though I'd make aggressive use of the search function to see if that question has been previously addressed.

haha agreed. or be prepared to have to create another user name to ask anything in the future.