Engine out procedures for Cessna 172-P

Guest Jaylift

I was going to post something really funny, but I didn't want to "ruin BaseOps" by being hilarious.

Dude...you might want to try GOOGLE or something. Or actually read the POH. Either way, this thread is GOING PLACES!

• Downvote 1

Ok, because I was bored, I went to Google myself.

Searched "Engine Failure Cessna 172," clicked "I Feel Lucky," and BOOM:

http://www.usau.com/USAU.nsf/Doc/Cessna172...sna_skyhawk.pdf

Page 11, #27:

"Engine failure procedure: Establish 65 KIAS glide, avoid obstacles, flaps as required. Refer to POH, Section 3,Engine Failure Immediately After Takeoff, and Amplified Procedures."

Total search time: 2 minutes.

ABCs of an engine failure.

Airspeed - Best glide

Best place to land

Checklist -

There are different techniques out there that people use for a restart attempt and then for securing the engine before touchdown. In the Cessnas I always taught the inverted L as a logical flow for making sure everything was set up properly for an attmepted restart.

Fuel Selector on

Throttle just out of idle

Mixture full rich

Carb heat on (if not fuel injected)

Mags on both

Master switch on

Engage starter if its not windmilling

Securing of the engine before touch down is just shutting everything off in reverse order.

Of course nothing replaces actual use of the POH checklist, so take it for what it's worth.

Originally posted by FUSEPLUG:

ABCs of an engine failure.

Airspeed - Best glide

Best place to land

Checklist -

There are different techniques out there that people use for a restart attempt and then for securing the engine before touchdown. In the Cessnas I always taught the inverted L as a logical flow for making sure everything was set up properly for an attmepted restart.

Fuel Selector on

Throttle just out of idle

Mixture full rich

Carb heat on (if not fuel injected)

Mags on both

Master switch on

Engage starter if its not windmilling

Securing of the engine before touch down is just shutting everything off in reverse order.

Of course nothing replaces actual use of the POH checklist, so take it for what it's worth.

172P will have carb heat. Get carb heat on without delay because if there is carb ice, you may still have some hot air to try to clear it. The hot air will go away quickly if the engine is stopped. I was taught to immediately pull carb heat on as you are going to best glide and looking for a landing field. The rest of the checklist can wait until airspeed is established and landing field identified. I like the "L" check above, except I would add more throttle than just past idle.

If no restart, you will probably walk away from it if you just maintain aircraft control and land it on the best terrain available.

If you can remember, try to open the cabin doors before a forced landing. Won't affect the aerodynamics at all, but will keep the doors from being jammed shut (trapping you inside) if the fuselage is warped in the crash.

If at night, turn on landing light just before landing. If you don't like what you see, turn light back off.

[ 13. November 2006, 22:43: Message edited by: jcj ]

Guest CrashCB18

This thread reminded me of something I was curious about when I got my PPL in a Cessna. This was the pilots' preferences on what kind of field to land the aircraft. I imagine this is different from your T-6's and T-37's because of the stall speed, glide speed, less weight of the cessna. I was always taught to find a nice flat grassy green patch of land (obviously not cornfields, just grass). Then one instructor said he preferred a brown piece of earth before crops grew because he could distinguish the direction the land was tilled and the aircraft wouldn't cartwheel going against the grain. With grassy earth, you can't distinguish that and could unfortunately go against the rows of mounds. Opinions? What about picking the best spot for a T-6/T-37?

Yes, land with the furrows, and not with a tailwind. There was a checkpilot that used to hang around at the airport who would talk to the CFIs about what he busts people for (besides not meeting PTS) and he actually busted a student pilot for landing with a tail wind during the simulated engine failure.

I read in an issue of AOPA's Flight Training a while back that you should go full nose up trim in a C-152 or C-172 for a simulated/actual engine failure to maintain best glide speed. Honestly, I was a bit skeptical, but it really works. Just be ready to push the stick forward when you apply power or if the engine does restart in the event of an actual.

Guest comanche

If it's not in the PTS he should not fail anyone.

If you are above best glide speed and put full nose up trim be ready to push forward also. It's best to put it in slowly. It will work.....your airspeed maybe different then what's published but it will be close and will vary with weight. It works for all single engine Cessna's. I haven't tried it with a 310.

[ 13. November 2006, 23:51: Message edited by: comanche ]

Originally posted by CrashCB18:

Then one instructor said he preferred a brown piece of earth before crops grew because he could distinguish the direction the land was tilled and the aircraft wouldn't cartwheel going against the grain.

I disagree. Stay away from brown farm fields if you can. Brown farm fields are generally plowed and the earth is soft. In other words, if you try to land in it, you'll probably stick the nose wheel and flip the plane, a good way to turn a good emergency landing into a fatality.

Regarding T-37s and T-6, eject.

HD

[ 14. November 2006, 03:57: Message edited by: HerkDerka ]

Guest thefranchise

never land a retractable gear airplane gear down in a field.

i'm pretty sure landing on a road is prohibited in the AETC world in one of the 1,287 redundant regulation manuals.

Originally posted by CrashCB18:

Then one instructor said he preferred a brown piece of earth before crops grew because he could distinguish the direction the land was tilled and the aircraft wouldn't cartwheel going against the grain. With grassy earth, you can't distinguish that and could unfortunately go against the rows of mounds.

Sounds like your instructor had never been to a farm before. If there's grass on a large field that means the owner has either a) not tilled in a long time (if ever), thus no/small rows to worry about or B) growing grass for hay, again no rows. Corn has very tough stocks that would slow you down faster than grass would (plus has very obvious rows), so that would probably be preferable so you don't hit that tree at the end of the field. Everyone talks about the fields, but what about the farm roads surrounding all the fields?

If you are in a dry climate hay fields will have irrigation ditches that you may or may not be able to see if the hay has not been cut.

I went on a accident investigation with the FAA in which a dumb a$$ doctor ran his C-182 out of fuel landed in a field. He was able to get the farmer to drive him to the airport to get fuel. After putting 5 gals in each wing he was ready to take off. The farmer told the doctor to take off in a Westerly direction. The doctor being the steller pilot he thought he was ignored the farmer and started his take off roll to the north into the pervaling wind. He made about 40 kts before impacting a 3 foot wide X 2 foot deep ditch. The plane ended up on its top. The Dr was able to walk away but the plane was a total loss.

Originally posted by Five-Oh Co-Pilot:

I went on a accident investigation with the FAA in which a dumb a$$ doctor ran his ________ out of fuel landed in a field.

Fill in the blank (usually a Bonanza) and that's how most GA accident investigation stories begin...

• 10 years later...

With regards to attempting a restart.I remember an instructor saying  once that the chances of the engine starting up again are something like one in a hundred.Does anyone know if this is reasonably accurate assumeing of course that the prob.is not carb.ice??