Recreational Drug Use (Marijuana)

Guest 15chief

First of all, no one gives a shit about what happened in high school; and as long as you took care of your speeding, windshield obstruction and parking tickets, no one cares about them.

However, you did fuck up by lying about trying marijuana; and the fact that you panicked about that one question doesn't fare well for you. I concur with your plan on going back to whoever you interviewed with and seeing if you can discuss it with the, you can play it as a "temporary lapse of memory" and hope they don't see you sweating, or you can man up and simply tell them you screwed the pooch on this question and you want to correct your mistake. Honestly, I'd advise the latter and hope for the best.

At this point, your one-time experimentation with marijuana is less of an issue than your knowingly lying during the interview (whether you admit to it or not). Despite how well prepared you were, or how well you responded during the interview, all of that is of little value if you failed to be completely honest during it.

I am not talking about exaggerating the truth a little, a lot of people do that during an interview; but to blatantly lie about something so minor makes everything you say or did somewhat questionable.

However, not fixing that mistake will only make things worse, so get yourself out of this whole before you dig yourself in any deeper! It may be a minor hiccup, or it may be the end of your dream; but either way at least you will have taken responsibility for your actions and that is more important than anything.

Additionally, please forgo the emotional blubbering in your posts, we don't need that shit on here! Everybody wants to be a fighter pilot, but you don't have to sound like a 12-yr-old girl describing Justin Bieber when you talk about it. :bash:

Lastly, go read and commit to memory the Rules of the Forum, as well as the three "Read This" threads at the top of the General Discussion section. To date you posted three times and you've fucked every one of them up...we can't be of any help to you if you get yourself banned, and you are one mistake away from that happening!

Cheers! M2

• 1 month later...

Certainly! The following regs...

2. Ineligibility Factors. The following individuals are ineligible for UFT consideration:...

2.2. Officers who have illegally, wrongfully, or improperly experimented with, used, possessed, sold,

or transferred any narcotic substance, dangerous drug, intoxicating inhaled substance, or controlled

substance as established by Title 21, U.S.C. Section 812 when supported by evidence.

...and

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af...frci36-2602.pdf

...have a summarized version: JUST SAY NO!

Thank you for your time.

---------------

Wxpunk

So does this reg apply to current or prospective officers? And does it apply to prospective ROTC applicants? Maybe it's just me but the wording seems to imply that if you are an officer and "illegally, wrongfully, or improperly..." then you're screwed but if it took place before you even joined an ROTC program and you no longer participate in any drug related activities then you're fine. I'm visiting my local det in a few days to go over this very issue. On occasion I smoked during my senior year in high school and summer following. I never smoked habitually and I never owned or bought any drug paraphernalia. All together I'd estimate that I've smoked more than 10 times but less than 15. Unfortunately I can't pull the "i've matured" card since it was really less than a year ago. On the other hand I live in California where marijuana was nearly legalized just this last year, but even it is was legalized the air force is a federal organization so fed law would trump state law 10 times out of 10. Personally I doubt I'm going to be accepted into the AFROTC program but what do you guys think?

So does this reg apply to current or prospective officers? And does it apply to prospective ROTC applicants? Maybe it's just me but the wording seems to imply that if you are an officer and "illegally, wrongfully, or improperly..." then you're screwed but if it took place before you even joined an ROTC program and you no longer participate in any drug related activities then you're fine. I'm visiting my local det in a few days to go over this very issue. On occasion I smoked during my senior year in high school and summer following. I never smoked habitually and I never owned or bought any drug paraphernalia. All together I'd estimate that I've smoked more than 10 times but less than 15. Unfortunately I can't pull the "i've matured" card since it was really less than a year ago. On the other hand I live in California where marijuana was nearly legalized just this last year, but even it is was legalized the air force is a federal organization so fed law would trump state law 10 times out of 10. Personally I doubt I'm going to be accepted into the AFROTC program but what do you guys think?

I was informed that I was ineligible for both the ROTC and OTS programs. However there is a chance to enlist and use SOAR, LEAD, ASCP to get a commission.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dominoes

I admitted past marijuana use (experimental) and was selected for CSO via OTS. I filled out an AF2030 describing the drug use and my current attitude towards drugs, put it on my SF-86, MEPS and FC1a forms. The recruiter and interviewing officer didn't think it would be a problem. The clearance interviewer asked me a few questions to establish that the use was experimental. MEPS personnel established that I didn't have a drug additiction. It didn't come up past the paperwork on the flight physical.

Edited by Dominoes

• 1 year later...

Let me preface this, i know its been covered i just wanted to get some more recent opinions. Was emailing the recruiter and he sent me the standard precheck. When i was young i tried marijuana a couple of times, really didnt care for it, havent used it since. now i havent heard from the recruiter in a couple days and now i dont think i have a chance at OTS let alone a UPT slot.

Ive had several old school pilots tell me i should have fudged it, but i just couldnt do that. did i screw my self over by saying this ?

Better to admit it now than have them find out later. Going for a TS clearance required for a pilot slot they most likely will find out. Anyhow things may be difficult for you but keep pushing and you can still get it. Just don't start lying or making excuses for it. Man up to what you did, admit your mistake, and demonstrate that you learned from it.

FWIW, I was told a couple years ago that "3 times" is a magic number as far as marijuana goes. (This was for the ROTC application). That may not still be true, but if you end up having to come up with a number at some point that might be something to keep in mind.

• 5 months later...

When they ask you about drug use does that include your time as a minor or just since you turned 18?

Nope...its from "birth", but the farther back the better. BTW, here's the quote from the AFRSI on accession rules...

"3.21.1. In most cases, substance abuse is disqualifying. Self-admission of pre-service experimental marijuana (including organic or synthetic cannabis or tetrahydrocannabinal (THC)) use without exposure to legal proceedings is not automatically disqualifying. However, any use over 15 times is disqualifying. (Refer to paragraph 3.22 for drug-related eligibility determinations [DRED].) "

• 2 years later...

From what I've seen it seems like prior marijuana experimentation does not DQ you from being a pilot so long as you can get a TS clearance and the use was nothing beyond experimenting. But I found an instance of someone being DQ'ed after getting his pilot slot, TS clearance, and passing his FC1. Heres the link (). So have policies changed recently or is this an uncommon occurence?

I haven't taken the opportunity to bitch about this yet, so I'll do that now - the TL;DR version: drugs are bad, don't do drugs, m'kay?

The way I understand it: at the time my NGB package and waiver request were under review (Sep 2013), there was an inconsistency between ANG and USAF policy. ANG said < 12x is waiverable and USAF said > 1x is DQing. My package was rejected (sts) due to confusion over the inconsistent policy, and my SQ/CC reattacked. The policies were brought into agreement and my self-admitted > 1x DQ'd me.

Not sure if my experience is common or just a one-off. The final explanation I was given for my DQ was that marijuana experimentation > 1x, even if it was in high school over 10 years prior to commissioning, was behavior inconsistent with serving as an officer. 1x is waiverable; anything beyond that is DQing.

I was fed several lines by officers and recruiters toward the end of the years-long process of applying, interviewing, enlisting, waiting around, FC1, TS, waiting around, DQ, waiting around and separation: 1) I probably should have lied about it from the start (poor SA on my part), 2) I never should have been interviewed by a single fighter squadron (or 5) based on my honest reply to the prior use question, 3) I should stick to getting f*#&amp;ed up on alcohol, 4) at least I have a TS and 5) timing/luck is everything.

I honestly thought I could get the kill, but despite the ass pain, I'm thankful I wasn't waved off before making a pass at getting hired. I met some truly kick ass, amazing people and had some unforgettable experiences.

But... I never got the chance to take the controls of a USAF aircraft, so I lost.

Best of luck, and thanks to those who offered advice along the way

Edited by tankass

• 3 years later...

I'm currently 20 and entering my senior year of college this fall (graduating a year early).  When I was a freshman in college (a bit over one year ago) I tried Marijuana exactly one time.  There were no legal proceedings or anything and I have no other drug-related issues nor do I have any current drug use habits.  I'm going to be fully upfront/honest about this on the AF from 2030 and any other time drug use is asked about.

I'm working on getting my packet put together for ANG pilot slots and It's one of the things I'm worried about, should I be?  

How will this affect my packet and/or ability to commission for a pilot slot?

Thank you for your time.  

5 hours ago, PilotCand123 said:

I'm currently 20 and entering my senior year of college this fall (graduating a year early).  When I was a freshman in college (a bit over one year ago) I tried Marijuana exactly one time.  There were no legal proceedings or anything and I have no other drug-related issues nor do I have any current drug use habits.  I'm going to be fully upfront/honest about this on the AF from 2030 and any other time drug use is asked about.

I'm working on getting my packet put together for ANG pilot slots and It's one of the things I'm worried about, should I be?  

How will this affect my packet and/or ability to commission for a pilot slot?

Thank you for your time.  

Any other sins you would like to document forever on Air Force bureaucratic paperwork? Ever lie, cheat, steal, jerk off to pics of your step sister?

Don't be dumb. You didn't smoke weed once.

2 hours ago, torqued said:

Any other sins you would like to document forever on Air Force bureaucratic paperwork? Ever lie, cheat, steal, jerk off to pics of your step sister?

Do what you wish, but someday they’ll be a mission you may want to get into.  That mission may require a lie detector test, then what?

• Upvote 2

The hiring board might appreciate the pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all, thank you for the responses.  

I'm not going to lie about.  This is something I really want to do, but not if I have to lie to do it.  I may have to take a polygraph or something someday- and beyond that, I just don't want to go through my career with a lie like that over my head. 

That said, any information regarding how this will affect the process for me is much appreciated.  Am I still eligible for UPT?  And air force regs you could point me towards? 

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, PilotCand123 said:

I'm not going to lie about.  This is something I really want to do, but not if I have to lie to do it.  I may have to take a polygraph or something someday- and beyond that, I just don't want to go through my career with a lie like that over my head. 

That said, any information regarding how this will affect the process for me is much appreciated.  Am I still eligible for UPT?  And air force regs you could point me towards? 

Thanks.

As far as I know, past use is no longer disqualifying, but you will have to pass a drug test at MEPS before they'll send you to training.

29 minutes ago, PilotCand123 said:

Thanks.

The others are right, I shouldn't encourage you to commit an error of omission on your paperwork.

Good Luck. I hope you can pull the trigger.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread. 

Hypothetically, if someone had not only "tried weed once or twice and didn't like it" but smoked on a regular basis (usually on weekends, so 2-4 times a month, on average) and had also experimented with psychedelics and MDMA (5-10 times total), should that person completely abandon the idea of a career in military aviation? Let's also assume that this individual is not a good liar. 

Is this something a recruiter could give a pass on if everything else looks good?