Arnold Air Society (AAS)

Guest skipro101

I joined ROTC the second semester of my freshman year. I slipped up with my grades last semester (2.9) and am worried about getting a FT slot because they aren't easy to get anymore. I was wondering if joining AAS would increase my chances of getting a FT slot?

Probably not a good idea. Reference the investigation for disenrollment threads for stories of cadets who overextended themselves in the wing and screwed up their grades, etc. While commanders ranking may be 69% of your ranking for slots, most CCs will strongly consider the numbers since if they recommend someone who is good at AAS but ends up not meeting the hard GPA, PT, etc numbers, it will waste that slot since you will be kicked out by HQ.

If you are looking to demonstrate initiative, pulling your 2.9 to a 3.8 will show work ethic just as well as pledging the ROTC frat.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cadetd

Probably not a good idea. Reference the investigation for disenrollment threads for stories of cadets who overextended themselves in the wing and screwed up their grades, etc. While commanders ranking may be 69% of your ranking for slots, most CCs will strongly consider the numbers since if they recommend someone who is good at AAS but ends up not meeting the hard GPA, PT, etc numbers, it will waste that slot since you will be kicked out by HQ.

If you are looking to demonstrate initiative, pulling your 2.9 to a 3.8 will show work ethic just as well as pledging the ROTC frat.

Thanks. Who exactly selects cadets for a FT slot? Is it the CC or the board that the packages get sent to?

Thanks. Who exactly selects cadets for a FT slot? Is it the CC or the board that the packages get sent to?

Board at HQ. Not sure if it's exactly the same as the flight slot boards but if they are calculating the order of merit (x% CC rec, y%PFT, etc) then instead of looking at packages (sts) directly, your performance and CC will then determine the OM, with the board only setting the cutoff to get the desired # of slots after sorting all the cadet scores in the nation.

Guest cadetd

Board at HQ. Not sure if it's exactly the same as the flight slot boards but if they are calculating the order of merit (x% CC rec, y%PFT, etc) then instead of looking at packages (sts) directly, your performance and CC will then determine the OM, with the board only setting the cutoff to get the desired # of slots after sorting all the cadet scores in the nation.

Ok, one last question!! Is there any advice you have for me? I'm very nervous about getting a slot because I'm new. I'm very active in the det, 92+ PT score, pretty good AFOQT, working on the GPA but as I've said before right now its a 2.9. I'm just worried because I'm new and there are about 50+ cadets in my detachment that will be competing for a slot next year.

Ok, one last question!! Is there any advice you have for me? I'm very nervous about getting a slot because I'm new. I'm very active in the det, 92+ PT score, pretty good AFOQT, working on the GPA but as I've said before right now its a 2.9. I'm just worried because I'm new and there are about 50+ cadets in my detachment that will be competing for a slot next year.

Sounds like you have the bases covered. Do your best without throwing others under the bus - that's all you can do to compete. In addition, if you have cadre counseling, etc it may be worth it to mention you're cutting extracurriculars etc to focus on grades - they've already seen you can be involved in the det, and better prioritizing your time shows good headwork (sts).

• 3 months later...
Guest Buckeye14

This thread has been very beneficial to me. I'm about to start AFROTC, and I know that already currently serving in the Air Guard takes up a lot of potential free time as it is. I think after reading all of the posts I'm going to feel out ROTC for atleast the first year and focus on doing well in my Engineering courses as opposed to over-extending myself.

On the other side of ROTC involvement though, how much time does Pershing rifles or drill team usually take up? I do want to be involved around the DET, but I have to make grades a priority and have time for my Guard duty. It may only be one weekend a month, but that weekend always seems to come when I have 2-3 exams early the next week. I feel like this overall is going to cut into my involvement as it is. Speaking of prior service, will that help me or hurt me in the eyes of the Commander since it will give me less time to be around the DET?

Thanks for any advice.