Personal Firearms/Weapons/Guns on base

Guest JoeMama

If you're single (i.e. possibly living in the dorms) either don't bring your guns or have a friend lined up who lives in base housing or off base where you can store them. You DO NOT want to have your guns stored in the armory (you cannot keep them in your dorm room).

Guest spankey

So Basically, its gonna be a cast iron bee-i-itch to get my stuff out of the armory when I want to use it? ...and it might get tampered with?

I've heard numerous stories from Laughlin and Vance that SF (or someone) took the Stud's guns out and shot them. Needless to say, the gun was clean when they left it in the armory and dirty when they came back to get it. If in the dorms, either find someone in base housing to keep them, don't bring them, or buy some good locks as a last resort.

Guest spankey

Awesome, so I'm definitely leaving behind my 1800 YD gun.

Anything else worth knowing about bringing? Even stupid stuff?

Take out the firing pins I suppose. I guess that's easier on a rifle than a pistol. To be clear, base housing does permit you to keep weapons, even for those in a student status? I'm prior-E (different service) and the rules were quite a bit more restrictive, even for the married guys.

Oh, and what are the UPT housing policies on pets? We have 2 cats. I wish I could say "My wife wants to bring our cats but I could care less" but that's just not quite true.

I can only speak for Laughlin. Almost all of base housing there is contracted out (the only government owned housing is the dorms and a few duplexes that unaccompanied officers live in). You sign a lease with that company and they have their own set of rules, far different than the government owned housing. Those living in the contracted base housing have no issues with pets or storing guns/ammo as far as I know.

We left Vance a few months after base housing went privatized, at that point there were no issues with guns in the house (just have to register them with sf) and I think the max pet number was either 2 or 3. Either way we only told them about our 2 dogs and said nothing about the cats we had at the time. They don't check.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spankey

before this topic got moved, there was somebody who had posted some pretty specific stuff about Vance. I was trying to PM the dude, but cant find his old post. you still out there man?

-Thanks

before this topic got moved, there was somebody who had posted some pretty specific stuff about Vance. I was trying to PM the dude, but cant find his old post. you still out there man?

-Thanks

Yep

I can personally attest to a fucked up weapon after getting it back from the armory. Also, a few weeks after I checked it out permanently and left it with a bro in a house, I got more than a few emails saying they were gonna destroy my weapon if I did not come in and fill out paperwork or remove it from the armory. I would have gone in to claim my new free gun, but I've had as many 12 hour days since being off formal release (sts) than when we were on (not bitchin, I love my job).

I can personally attest to a fucked up weapon after getting it back from the armory. Also, a few weeks after I checked it out permanently and left it with a bro in a house, I got more than a few emails saying they were gonna destroy my weapon if I did not come in and fill out paperwork or remove it from the armory. I would have gone in to claim my new free gun, but I've had as many 12 hour days since being off formal release (sts) than when we were on (not bitchin, I love my job).

... Do you never go to the 'gym?'

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the Necro-thread. This looks like it's mostly info for UPT studs and I couldn't find my answer anywhere else on the board.

Has anyone had any experience with Moody's armory recently? I called them up and they made it sound like it wouldn't be a big deal to store them until I found a place to live. I fully plan to remove bolts and install trigger locks before handing them over, but I have a couple that I'd prefer to no be marred. I'm just tired of having them stored back in TX now that I'm finally getting to my first squadron post UPT.