Personal Firearms/Weapons/Guns on base

Guest JoeMama

Guest JoeMama

How do I get my guns on base?

Do I have to check them, or can I just pack them in my luggage, drive on base, and unpack in my base house?

Thanks!

[ 14. April 2005, 13:03: Message edited by: Jordan ]

Guest SpyGadget

When I brought mine I told the gate guards that I was carrying weapons. (This was on a weekend) They made a phone call on the "red phone" at the gate, asked if I lived on base, and advised me to register them with Security Forces on Monday.

DO NOT TAKE YOUR GUNS WITH YOU TO GET THEM REGISTERED!

They tend to freak out when you walk in with a shotgun and don't warn them first. All they are interested in is the model and serial numbers.

Each base may be different. This was at Laughlin and it seems that they made up the rules as they went along.

By all means, call the base operator and get the # for Security Forces or the armory. The more they know, the better off you will be.

Guest kylejustin

What is the procedure for bringing a weapon on base if you have a concealed carry license? I know you are required to declare it at the gate, but do they make you take it to the armory, or after you declare it can keep it on your person?

Guest SpyGadget

I was told that if I lived in base housing that I could keep it at home. If I lived in a dorm I would have to check it with the armory.

A state concealed carry license does not apply on base. If you live in on base housing (at most bases anyway) you can keep them in the house. If you live in the dorms, they must be stored at the armory. That is a pain in the rear because anytime you want to get them, you have to give them 24 hrs notice (at least here at Sheppard). When I PCS'd here, I had them in the trunk of my car instead of the moving van so I could take them straight to the armory, first stop. Just tell the guard at the gate you're PCSing and you have some firearms to take to the armory. Walk into the armory first and tell them you have guns to register, then go back out and get them. Unfortonuatly, they cannot be kept in cases in the armory, so if you have expensive guns you're worried about, be careful. They'll give you a registration sheet with the guns and the serial numbers that your commander signs. At that point, if you live in base housing, you can pick them up and keep them in your house. I think some bases require that you show them that you have trigger locks for each gun.

Guest quikag

Hey Jordan, this is Chris...I'm assuming you got on base housing for you and your wife. What was the process like to ensure you had a house? Ashley and I are getting married May 21, class begins 31 May, and I'm PCS'ing 16 May. Did you consider off base housing? Let me know what you did, it looks like I'll be about six weeks behind you. Take care.

I was TDY at Keesler and learned a few things too (not sure if it they are Keesler specific or not)

There are 2 options when you register your gun - short term and long term. Short term is if you will be there for 30 days or less. You can just drop it off and pick it up with little hassle except for a form.

Long term involves "registering" the firearm, which in turn involves your commander being notified. Furthermore, when you take the gun out for a weekend, for example, you have to return it in 48 hours or else your commander gets a call. I think you can call SF if you are going to be late on bringing it back (say on a 3 day weekend or if you are on leave). Bottom line is that they are much more controlling and it is a bigger ass-pain if you do it this way.

The guy wound up telling me to register it short-term (even if I was TDY for more than 30 days there), and when I took it out just to "unregister" it until I came back on base with it. This way there is no time limit on how long it can be out and your commander's number is not on file etc. Plus if you have family/friends who live near the base and you are going to target practice with them, you can perhaps leave the gun with them etc.

Anyway, each option will fit different people better. I was just not aware that there were differences in how you registered it in the first place.

Originally posted by kylejustin:

I know you are required to declare it at the gate

Are you sure this is a rule? I don't doubt it is, I just never heard of it. I have dropped off, picked up, registered, and unregistered my gun a few times and have never heard this from any of the SF guys. I also have never read it anywhere in any base welcome packages in the section regarding firearms.

I have a funny feeling that if I asked 10 different SP's to clarify it, I would wind up getting a 50/50 response from them (after they, of course, used the "red phone" to call someone with a clue)

I always just drove up to the armory (after calling ahead) and never actually declared the firearm with the gate guard. I figured why complicate things if I don't have to. I really don't see them arresting me inbetween the gate and the armory for not having declared my registered gun with the gate guard. But you never know, I guess.

Guest thefranchise

since base family housing at Whiting Field is off base, you can keep your firearms inside your house.

JS- you also have to realize that you and your car can be searched at anytime and failure to declare your firearms is looked down upon. The gate guards have never gotten on the red phone with me for declaring my firearm status and my intentions with them. It is probably not a written rule but more of a courtesy to them.

• 10 months later...
Guest Chairborne Ranger

Thread Revival:

What about ammo?

I can keep my 2000 rounds of 5.56 in my dorm, right?

(Not sure when I'll ever get to shoot it again though..)

Guest MATTUSAF

As far as I know you have to keep guns AND ammo in the armory unless you live in housing. I've only lived on base at Laughlin but I had to store all my guns and ammo at the armory until I they gave us a house.

I've never lived in the dorms so I don't know for sure. I guess the best thing do do would be to ask the dorm manager or security forces.

Remember, your flight/squadron cc is required to do inspections of your room. Usually they will give you a heads up even though I think it's supposed to be a surprise. I wouldn't risk it though.

Guest croftfam
Originally posted by Chairborne Ranger:

Thread Revival:

What about ammo?

I can keep my 2000 rounds of 5.56 in my dorm, right?

(Not sure when I'll ever get to shoot it again though..)

What everyone has said about the difference between the dorms and family housing is true. I could be wrong, but I believe they limit the amount of rounds you are allowed to keep in housing to 1000.

• 8 months later...

New to the game here...

Do you have to keep your personal firearms at the armory if you live on base, or can they be kept in your house as long as you have a safe?

If you do keep them in the armory is it a pain in the ass to go get them out?

I'm not sure if this is Air Force wide but at Vance if you live in family housing you can keep your firearms at your house. You must still register them with Security Forces. If you live on the dorms you have to give them to the armory.

I believe that this is a new policy in the past everyone had to take their guns to the armory.

Check with the cops at your base, they should know the rules. Should...

[ 03. November 2006, 08:16: Message edited by: ucf_motorcycle ]

DO NOT PUT YOUR FIREARMS IN THE ARMORY. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard (several directly from friends) of the cops taking guns out to the range and shooting them (as drewpey said), treating them like crap in the armory, etc. Why would they care about your gun, it's not their's (and sadly that's how they think). Also, the dudes in the armory are usually 18-19 yr old Amn...you want to trust YOUR weapons to that guy?

If you live in a house on base, you can keep them there. If you live in the dorms, FIND someone who lives off base and ask them if you can keep the firearms at their house/apartment. It's pretty lax...I've driven through the gate numerous times with my rifles laying in the back of the car, never had one thing said to me...kind of suprising actually.

You shouldn't even need a safe. I lived on base last assignment and this assignment and just bought a safe last week. If you are going to live in the dorms and don't want to take them apart, just get a trigger lock. That *should* keep them from shooting your guns. Unfortunately, they probably won't let you leave them there in a case, so the guns could still get beat up.

EDIT: After reading about the stories of the cops taking them out, I see now why they wanted 24 hr notice before letting you pick them up.

[ 03. November 2006, 19:16: Message edited by: Stud@Luke ]

Guest MaxStatic

Don't bother with trigger locks, for the most part they will have you remove them as they are locked in their rack through the trigger guard with a cable. If you live on base in family housing, you are good to go. Some bases have you register, some don't. Most are going to registration. If you live off base, they have nothing to do with it. If you are a single buddy doing the dorm thing, find someone in housing, or that is off base. I HIGHLY recommend you do not store at the armory. PITA for all involved and no matter what your stuff is going to get jacked up. My $.02

Guest stusakss

Check with the armory though, some have cabinets where you can just store your sealed container with your weapon in it...then no tampering issues. THen again, some are the other way...just check and see if they have cabinet space...most do.

Guest Major High

I also HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT store your firearms in the armory. I speak from personal experience with this matter. I tried that and after I went to get my guns out to shoot and clean them, I found them to be scratched up. Just my .02.

• 5 years later...
Guest spankey

So this might be somewhat of a duh question, but what kind of stuff did you guys bring to UPT? I'm going to Vance.

Any problems checking firearms, etc. Stuff you wished you had left home/ in storage, etc...

I'm open to any and all advice.

Thanks-