MEPS information

Guest birddog

Guest P27:17
Got a real quick question. Is there anyway to determine if my MEPS physical has been certified/approved (what ever the correct term is). I am getting conflicting answers from different people. I had an application the went to the 07OT01 board, but I was not selected. The AD recruiter told me the physical was completed/certified. After the non-select, I contacted a reserves officer accession recruiter to get a package going for the next reserves board. He is telling me that the physical was never completed. I am just curious if there is any way that I can verify which is correct? Just trying to get all the information since I keep getting conflicting reports and so that I know what I am going to have to do when the 08OT01 board rolls around. :bash::bash: Thanks for any help.

Jason

Jason,

Call Mr. Kelly or Linnebur at HQ AETC, (210) 652-3900. They should be able to look up your exam

in PEPP or on file somewhere.

If you are comfortable with it you can also PM me with your SSAN and I can see what I can find.

• 2 months later...
Guest yellow300zx95

I just wanted to know if there was any procedure for adding something to your MEPS paperwork after you have already went through with the physical. My recruiter told me not to mention my knee surgery because i have no scars from it but I really dont want to join with that hanging over me. I know nothing is wrong with my knee but it still bugs me to have lied. I want to set things straight. Is there any way?

I just wanted to know if there was any procedure for adding something to your MEPS paperwork after you have already went through with the physical. My recruiter told me not to mention my knee surgery because i have no scars from it but I really dont want to join with that hanging over me. I know nothing is wrong with my knee but it still bugs me to have lied. I want to set things straight. Is there any way?

You'll be running the risk of pushing back your class date. If you report it, a doc at MEPS is going to have to check you out.

I would report it. That's a pretty big surgery. Like you said, everything's fine, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. They'll probably test your range of motion and that's about it. Have all the reports/x-rays from the civilian doc ready and then tell the AF. I wouldn't skip out on saying something about a surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing the devil's advocate here...

I'd keep my mouth shut at this point. Apparently you're supposed to remember every time you've EVER been to a doctor when you're filling out that paper work. I'm sorry, but that's just insane. I was truthful and mentioned a doctor's visit that I wish I never had. Two years and an appeal to the Surgeon General later... let's just say I'd be an 0-3 by now.

The MEPS is where they are going to screw you. They will find anything wrong to send you packing. Get your class date, commission, get through UPT, and if it ever comes up again, I'd be very suprised.

Again, I'm just playing the devil's advocate... I commend you on wanting to make the correction. If I were in your position, I would just continue along on the ride, and if anyone specifically asks, then be truthful. To this point you haven't "lied" about anything.

Good luck!

...I'd keep my mouth shut at this point. Apparently you're supposed to remember every time you've EVER been to a doctor when you're filling out that paper work. I'm sorry, but that's just insane. I was truthful and mentioned a doctor's visit that I wish I never had. Two years and an appeal to the Surgeon General later... let's just say I'd be an 0-3 by now...

Agreed

I'm no authority on this, but having had about 5 flight physicals and 2 MEPS physicals, you should make like it's all good. I told the flight doc for my first flight phys that I had allergies (I really just sneeze for no reason it seems, and I have no problems while flying), but that held me back for about 6 months. Nothing like FUSEPLUG experienced, but anytime I go to the doc, I am the healthiest person alive at that time.

What type of surgery? Reconstruction? ACL? Do you have retained hardware (screws? rods? staples?) It may not be a big deal if it doesn't require a waiver. I'd probably want to come clean about it as well, but it depends on what you had done.

FUSE does bring up a good point. Usually the best approach is to NOT lie or stretch the truth if directly asked, but there's no reason to offer up info that can potentially screw you (i.e. you weren't asked). However, a surgery is kind of a big deal. But if you don't have any hardware and there's nothing affecting movement, playing sports, etc. than I guess I would consider not saying anything unless directly asked. However, I would be prepared w/ all the physician/surgeon reports, x-rays, etc. when you go to Brooks. B/c the question might come up and I would definitely not lie then.

• 2 months later...

I am sorry to barge in here...

Fuse, if your DQ and subsequent problems are knee surgery related then fine...could be good advice...each case is different and most delays (examinee frustration) comes from concealment and not coming clean. Then the medical folks have to go and investigate...:Hum how long have you had the scar on your knee"? "Ten years sir". "Well you either had an incompetent doc at MEPS, have a terrible memory, or you tried to conceal something young man. I hope it's an incompetent doc cause a bad memory or poor judgement might make wonder if you're fit to get into a multi-million dollar airplane"!

Ok I overstated my case a little (in this instance)...unless you have some significant residual disability or problems since your knee surgery you will likely not even need a waiver...if you do, your chances are pretty close to 100%!

THE RECRUITER BSers STRIKE ONCE AGAIN...God love em

• 5 months later...

Quick question - I submitted a package for the 08OT03 board. However, I did not have a completed MEPS physical; rather, I had a certified FC1 which I had done at LA AFB. Due to my PRK history, my recruiter felt that I should go ahead and get the FC1 done.

Now the review process accepted my application with the FC1 only and no suspenses were issues on my package; however, I know I will probably need to knock out the MEPS physical before I could ship off to OTS if selected.

Should I bother getting the MEPs physical done now? Or should I just wait and see if I am selected?

Also, out of curiousity... if one had a MEPS physical done for the Marine Corps, would that also qualify as a MEPS physical for the AF?

Thanks! :salut:

If you've been to MEPS within the past 2 years then that trip still counts.

If it's been longer than 2 years since you did the duck walk, you'll have to go again.

Either way, you need to tell your recruiter.

If you've been to MEPS within the past 2 years then that trip still counts.

If it's been longer than 2 years since you did the duck walk, you'll have to go again.

Either way, you need to tell your recruiter.

Ok.

Are all meps physicals the same though? (i.e. branch doesn't matter)

Recruiter knows - he is the one who said I should just wait and see if I was accepted - then go. Not worried about passing, my FC1 was just certified last month.

I would assume all MEPS physicals are the same, but I've only been once and dont care to repeat it elsewhere to find out!

When I went, we all showed up, Officer Candidates and Enlistees, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard, and inprocessed. We got nametags with bar codes indicating our service branches. We did all the same tests, did the same paperwork, and got the same talk from the TSgt running the MEPS that day. There were some Marine candidates there and one Marine Officer candidate. The TSgt noticed them by their nametags and hollered "MARINES!!! - First to die!!" We all laughed. But everyone was the same; the Marine OCS Candidate's tag just said U.S. Marine Corps like the enlistees tags and so on.

If you go, have fun!

• 1 month later...
Guest bravodelta79

Just to add a nugget of information on the MEPS subject. I am supposed to be there today getting my commissioning physical done. However, the application sent in by a recruiter is only good for 30 days after you sign it. Today would have been outside of the 30 days so we submitted it a day or two ago but the doc never got a chance to look it over and therefore it's being delayed for who knows how long. (I was told a day to less than a week, but we'll see.)

When you're filling out paperwork and signing stuff, make a note of the date and make sure you're getting in before the 30 days or you could be SOL for awhile. Just an FYI for y'all.

Now for a question... the only thing I answered "YES" to on the medical background is the vision correction for LASIK I had done 5+ years ago. However, I was looking back on it today and saw the that the last question is along the lines of "any other surgery". What constitutes this? The only things I've had done is tonsils out when I was 5 (23 years ago), some moles removed for biopsies and a benign cyst removed a year or two ago. I would hardly rate the moles and cyst a "surgery" since it was a 10-20 minute ordeal in a doc office.

However going in, I'd hate for them to ask about a scar on my wrist (the cyst) and it not be on the paperwork which may cause a problem. Should I redo it? Where do you draw the line between "surgery" and "not surgery"? Filling out the paperwork it seems very minor and not worth mentioning, but now I look back and hope they would agree. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Just to add a nugget of information on the MEPS subject. I am supposed to be there today getting my commissioning physical done. However, the application sent in by a recruiter is only good for 30 days after you sign it. Today would have been outside of the 30 days so we submitted it a day or two ago but the doc never got a chance to look it over and therefore it's being delayed for who knows how long. (I was told a day to less than a week, but we'll see.)

When you're filling out paperwork and signing stuff, make a note of the date and make sure you're getting in before the 30 days or you could be SOL for awhile. Just an FYI for y'all.

Now for a question... the only thing I answered "YES" to on the medical background is the vision correction for LASIK I had done 5+ years ago. However, I was looking back on it today and saw the that the last question is along the lines of "any other surgery". What constitutes this? The only things I've had done is tonsils out when I was 5 (23 years ago), some moles removed for biopsies and a benign cyst removed a year or two ago. I would hardly rate the moles and cyst a "surgery" since it was a 10-20 minute ordeal in a doc office.

However going in, I'd hate for them to ask about a scar on my wrist (the cyst) and it not be on the paperwork which may cause a problem. Should I redo it? Where do you draw the line between "surgery" and "not surgery"? Filling out the paperwork it seems very minor and not worth mentioning, but now I look back and hope they would agree. Thoughts?

Thanks.

List them all including wisdom teeth...it's no big deal...just filling the squares appropriately.

Guest bravodelta79

Thank you, sir. I'll redo the paperwork tonight and send it to the recruiter to resend to them. Any of those look like they could be DQ material? I wouldn't think so, but some of the stuff I've seen before is surprising.

Again, I'd hate for this to come up as "nothing" as far as procedure but "big time" as far as not listing it up front.

I've never had my wisdom teeth out as they never really came in.

:salut:

Thank you, sir. I'll redo the paperwork tonight and send it to the recruiter to resend to them. Any of those look like they could be DQ material? I wouldn't think so, but some of the stuff I've seen before is surprising.

Again, I'd hate for this to come up as "nothing" as far as procedure but "big time" as far as not listing it up front.

I've never had my wisdom teeth out as they never really came in.

:salut:

The only "DQ" I see is the LASIK...it's very waiverable! Make sure you get ALL of you pre-op and post-op LASIK records together. Brooks will need them about 30 days prior to your appoinment with them.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bravodelta79

Yet another nugget... I lasted almost an entire hour at MEPS today. After redoing my entire medical prescreen to include everything that's been done since birth, my recruiter said, "Nah, don't worry about that." Well, it included tonsil removal and some other minor stuff.

The first question I was asked was, "Do you still have your tonsils, appendix and wisdom teeth?" Uh oh.

I'm now sitting at Panera Bread, pissed off and ready to get everything re-redone (yes, re-redone) so I can get through this.

Moral of the story... list EVERYTHING and if your recruiter says it's too much, insist that it's there.

Another question about MEPS (or AF physicals in general)... how is the body fat composition done? Pinch? Electrodes? Water dip? Tape measure?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Guest johnny

I have a question about the AFRC MEPS physical vs the ANG Commissioning Physical. In my experience the reserves call it MEPS, the guard call it Commissioning. I've only taken the ANG Commissioning Physical, but from what I've heard it's similar to the AFRC MEPS, basically different words for the same thing, it comes before the Brooks physical, call it what you want.

Will the results from a recent ANG Commissioning physical satisfy the reserve requirement for a MEPS physical? I imagine it depends on the unit/recruiter, but does anyone have any experience with this? I heard of an applicant sponsored by a reserve unit who was able to take his MEPS physical at a local ANG unit rather than making the longer trip down to that reserve unit.

Guest bravodelta79

Well, the AFRC calls it the Commissioning Physical which is performed at the MEPS. It isn't called "the MEPS". MEPS is a place, not a type of physical.

Hopefully that clears that up.

Guest Johnny
Well, the AFRC calls it the Commissioning Physical which is performed at the MEPS. It isn't called "the MEPS". MEPS is a place, not a type of physical.

Hopefully that clears that up.

ok, so will the results from a recent ANG commissioning physical satisfy the reserve requirement for a commissioning physical?

• 7 months later...

Is a long wait for the commissioning physical (MEPS) normal? I've had my paper work in for two weeks now and still haven't heard anything back. I've searched and it seems like MOST people get theirs scheduled in about three days after they submit their papers. I've been sponsored for the reserve board this sept. It's been a month now and essentially no progress has been made. Starting to become concerned that i won't get everything scheduled and completed in time.

Edited by kapilot

UPDATE for those in the same shoes.

Got MEPS scheduled a couple days ago. I was told by my recruiter that he had sent it in right after he got it and decided to call when he hadn't heard anything for a couple weeks. They in response stated that they had not received it so he resubmitted. And a day or two later we had everything scheduled and ready to go. Who knows and at this point who cares as long as it's done.

On a side note to anyone reading this. It seems that the norm is 2 or 3 days to get your MEPS scheduled once you submit your paper work unless you have some recent type of condition that requires more paper work or records to be submitted. Regardless I would judge that if you haven't heard anything in 3 to 4 days start calling because there's a good chance its sitting at the bottom of a desk somewhere.

Edited by kapilot

• 4 weeks later...

I had to go to MEPS for my commissioning physical as I picked up a rated slot only recently (just got my FC1A done yesterday). MEPS is like a goddamn prison, and they treat you like it. They assume that EVERYBODY there is a recruit about to ship out to basic. I was treated like absolute garbage and my physical took 12 hours to complete.

Here is my suggestion. Go to Staples. Get those colored circle stickers and bring one of each color with you in your pocket. They will give you a color when you get there to put on the barcode/name tag/inhumane brand thing, and it will be the lowest priority.

You will see some people there with 'priority' tags. The day I went it was red. Go to the bathroom, put the priority color on your name tag, skip to the front of all lines, and get out of that awful place in a fraction of the time. I wish someone had given me this advice rather than having a whole day ruined and called "recruit" while being talked down to by some dumbass Army NCO who has no idea why I'm there or what ROTC is while telling me how bad basic is going to be for me.