Wisdom Teeth?

Guest Shermanator

Guest apilot3

they said to keep it till it comes out.. she is lodged in there real good. the root is very very small.. but there is no movement. i'm just keeping it for spacing, and i don't want to pay 1500 for an implant

During my FC1 the dentist called my wisdom teeth class 3 (DQ) even though they didnt bother me but they were impacted. Its my understanding that if they're not impacted they may let you slide otherwise its off to the dentist you go!

Just had them yanked out today, was the weirdest experience, they were putting me under and what seemed like a second later I woke up and they were done. Definitely recommend going under for the operation cuz it was over 45 minutes of my life I dont mind not remembering. So soup, ice cream, and yogurt for me the next week or so...

Guest jkfaust

Its actually this that will almost certainly keep me out of a flying slot. I had my teeth taken out about five years ago. When they took them out the dentist put some sort of artificial bone in the sockets where the teeth used to be. Also, in the time since having them remove a grew a cyst in one of them. I went out to have my FC1 done in January and they saw the artificial bone, didn't know what it was and I didn't have any documentation on it plus the cyst and was DQ'd with a 4. They said it would probably never cause me any problems and may not have even ever found out about it, but they couldn't pass it. It was actually sort of "well, looks good, wait a second, what's this" type thing. I had the cyst removed and got relooked at by the AF dentists but am now out of time, got too old this year, and looks like I won't get to be an AF pilot. Weird how stupid things can turn out.

Originally posted by P27:17:

I'll bet that if you go to your local flight surgeon's office and ask them to pull up your IFC 1 exam in PEPP, then have them look on the "Notes" page, where you will find "uploaded documents", there is a letter with your "John Doe" on it. The letter will state that you understand that you are not to get any evaluations/procedures done until you are requested to do so from HQ AETC/SGPA. If I recall, folks are briefed first thing on Monday morning what this letter means and in fact dental procedures are the example used. "No matter what you hear, or think you thought you heard while going through this process, DO NOT go and get something done until you hear from AETC"...if you do, the AF will not pick up the tab. Maybe I just thought I heard this?

A little late to your answer, but yeah that's exactly what it says. They still have the same form.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gator-boy

Earlier this year, I got a nav slot and then in August, I went and had my Flying class 1A physical done at Hill AFB. Everything went smooth, except for the dentist. I could tell that he was new to the air force life-still a civilian though (as far as I know). He wrote down that I had all kinds of crazy problems with my teeth, when I don't. Then Force Health (who took care of the physical) told me I needed to go to my own dentist and get all the work done before they could send it off. So far, I have been to my own dentist 2 times. It will be another 2 more times and over $1,000 for all the "work" that needs to be supposedly done. I was wondering if the Air Force was supposed to pay for it all or what? I feel the Force Health Management people don't know what they are doing.

• 1 month later...
Guest buffnav

hey doc, or anyone who has had their wisdom teeth removed:

I am currently at my FTU and may need my wisdom teeth removed. I have about 40 days before I go to the flightline. I am wondering, about how long will I be DNIF? I've heard it's at least 30 days. Any insight would be nice. thanks

[ 03. February 2007, 20:21: Message edited by: buffnav ]

^^^^ What PET said. Get it done right before a long weekend (I know it would suck) you might not even miss any academics. If you have complications, dry sockets, infection, etc., then who knows.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm going to brooks on Aug 12 for my FC1/MFS for an ROTC pilot slot and I have 1 impacted wisdom tooth. Should I try and get it removed before I go there or plan on being "not qualified" until it's removed afterwards? I have a referral from my dentist to an oral surgeon and I can probably make the appointment before I go, but I doubt I'll be fully healed by then. Thanks for the help.

I did my FC1 2 weeks after mine were pulled and had no problems. I had all 4 done, so I definitely wasn't healed when I went -- it shouldn't be a problem. I brought a letter explaining that I just had them out and he listed the drugs and dosages administered for the anesthesia just in case there was a prob with the drug screen (there wasn't).

If your civ dentist says they need to come out, chances are they won't clear your dental until you get it done -- you might have to go back or have a letter faxed from the surgeon. I did mine at Travis. Good luck!

Edited by VFR800

Thanks for the help, I forgot to mention the time line. I won't be able to have the surgery until Aug 6 at the earliest because I have a final on Friday the 3rd. Also, am I correct in my understanding that if I don't have it out before I go I won't be "Disqualified" but I'll be "Not qualified" until I have it out?

If your civ dentist says they need to come out, chances are they won't clear your dental until you get it done

In my experience, many civilian dentist will try to "sell" you dental work. Your wisdom teeth may not need to come out at all. A relative of mine has been a dental hygienist for over 30 years and in the last 5-10 years, she has been told by her boss to "sell" dental work to people if they are even the remotely close to needing anything done. She refused and has since retired. If you are not on a tight timeline, I would suggest that you go to Brooks and see what they say. Go ahead and schedule the work for maybe a week after Brooks and if Brooks says that they have to come out then do it. Otherwise, cancel the dental work and leave those teeth alone. It will costs you a week to have it done after and could save you a good bit of money if nothing comes of it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Magicrat

I've seen the topic discussed in previous threads.

I'm a reservist on orders for a few weeks. I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled. General anesthetic was used and healing time should he minimal as the teeth were not impacted at all. Took no more than 30 seconds total to pull them.

I was given 4 days worth of Penicillan and 200mg motrin if I need it.

Does either the procedure (having a tooth pulled) or taking Penicillan DNIF me?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen the topic discussed in previous threads.

I'm a reservist on orders for a few weeks. I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled. General anesthetic was used and healing time should he minimal as the teeth were not impacted at all. Took no more than 30 seconds total to pull them.

I was given 4 days worth of Penicillan and 200mg motrin if I need it.

Does either the procedure (having a tooth pulled) or taking Penicillan DNIF me?

Thanks in advance

Probably as long as the meds are needed...I'm not a doc so they may tell you differently. Unless you have some significant reactions or complications you should already be back flying since you wrote this...

• 1 year later...
Here's another view not shown on the Medicine Ball board I'm sure regarding the "Wisdom Teeth" issue. Don't let them pull them if they are not causing or going to cause you any trouble... Get a second opinion since it will cause you less grief if its not needed. Why you ask. It's kind of like flt hours for the Dental guys. The more Wisdom teeth you pull, the better it looks when you apply to the outside for another job... Have plenty of Guard dentists who understand this "pulling" issue on the civilian side. Once again pullem if necessary, but they only got one of mine so far and that was 10 years ago - it's the only place where the food sticks! This is not entirely true for all dentists, but there is a criteria from which they are judged as well. Plenty of good ones out there, but beware of being just a means to an end... Just an FYI!!!

[ 01. June 2004, 18:00: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted (top) and the bottom two are normal. However, my civilian dentist recommended I get them pulled but I never got around to it. Well, I'm at my UPT base now and had a dental exam/cleaning and they recommended getting them pulled out as well. I'm still on casual with many (6+) months left until I start so no worries there. My question is, if it were you, would you rather get them done by an oral surgeon or let the base dentist pull them (any experience with them)? Do most civilian oral surgens take Tricare? I'm a bit hesitent to do it on base since they don't knock you out and it's a dentist versus an oral surgeon who probably has a lot more experience with it. Last thing I want is for them to fracture my jaw (which apparently is a risk) or mess up a nerve and end up talking like 50 Cent for the rest of my life.

Edited by aspec

Two of my wisdom teeth are impacted (top) and the bottom two are normal. However, my civilian dentist recommended I get them pulled but I never got around to it. Well, I'm at my UPT base now and had a dental exam/cleaning and they recommended getting them pulled out as well. I'm still on casual with many (6+) months left until I start so no worries there. My question is, if it were you, would you rather get them done by an oral surgeon or let the base dentist pull them (any experience with them)? Do most civilian oral surgens take Tricare? I'm a bit hesitent to do it on base since they don't knock you out and it's a dentist versus an oral surgeon who probably has a lot more experience with it. Last thing I want is for them to fracture my jaw (which apparently is a risk) or mess up a nerve and end up talking like 50 Cent for the rest of my life.

If you have the option, I would rather have an oral surgeon do it. I have had some miserable luck with military dentists.

A civilian sees you as a customer, who will come back for future business, so they will likely treat you with more care. A military dentist doesn't care about return business, because it doesn't affect his pay. Plus I've noticed when I go to see military dentists, they are overbooked and overworked, which shifts their focus away from the "customer" and more towards numbers. Not good!

Plus you can either chat it up with enlisted hotties (cool) or civilian hotties (even better). Your choice.

If you have the option, I would rather have an oral surgeon do it. I have had some miserable luck with military dentists.

A civilian sees you as a customer, who will come back for future business, so they will likely treat you with more care. A military dentist doesn't care about return business, because it doesn't affect his pay. Plus I've noticed when I go to see military dentists, they are overbooked and overworked, which shifts their focus away from the "customer" and more towards numbers. Not good!

Plus you can either chat it up with enlisted hotties (cool) or civilian hotties (even better). Your choice.

Avoid the Dental Hobby Shop on base for anything more significant than a cleaning! Even if it costs you cash out of pocket.

I've had a couple friends tell me the same thing (avoid military dentist at all cost). I'm down here in Columbus so going off base might not be much better. I guess I could head out to Atlanta or another major city which should have a larger selection of oral surgeons to choose from.

As of now, my bottom wisdom teeth are growing in fine but they're still under the skin. However, my top ones are about half way out and impacted. They don't bother me at all (Brooks didn't seem to thing they were an issue two years ago) but I figured I would get them pulled prior to UPT just incase they do cause any issues.

Avoid the Dental Hobby Shop on base for anything more significant than a cleaning! Even if it costs you cash out of pocket.

Hell, I even hate going in there just for a cleaning The last time I went in, I had some big, burly TSgt try to floss all the way down to my jaw bone and saw my tooth out of my skull. I miss the hot dental assistants from back when I was younger!

Hell, I even hate going in there just for a cleaning The last time I went in, I had some big, burly TSgt try to floss all the way down to my jaw bone and saw my tooth out of my skull. I miss the hot dental assistants from back when I was younger!

A friend just had a filling done at the base dentist and said it was a pretty horrible experience, not to mention they use metal fillings versus ceramics. I know ceramic is a little more expensive but they should have at least given him a choice.

I just cancelled my appointment since I'm planning to get it done off base and the Airman working the desk tells me I'll have to pay for it on my own if I get it done off base and also, "I'll put a note in your record.", whatever the hell that means.

<five minutes later>

Now the dentist who was suppose to do the procedure calls me trying to convince me to reconsider. I just told him it's nothing against them, they did a great job explaining the risks and post-op recovery process but that I just rather have it done at an oral surgeon and put under. Anyways, do most oral surgeons accept TRICARE? I'm guessing there is only a certain amount up to what TRICARE will pay for the operation, but I'm not too concerned if I have to pay a little bit out of my pocket on top of it. Hopefully it's not a huge amount though.

Edited by aspec

"I'll put a note in your record.", whatever the hell that means.

What he means is: "I'm putting you on our sh*t list." Now everytime you go to see them, not only will you get the stink eye from just about everyone except the new guy, but they'll make extra certain that they beat the hell out of your gums even more then they did before. Soooo.... congrats!

ok, so I've had enough beers to bitch enough about this...so here we go.

A few times ago I got my teeth cleaned, and was sitting patiently in my seat awaiting the simple cleaning. A dude comes in (not quite what i was expecting, but whatev) and I ask this dude about the 105mm and 40mm casings on the windowsill. Turns out this dude was once a gunner on a gunship before his knee blew out, and is now a dental hygenist. Yeah. By the time I walked out of the office, I felt like someone flossed all my teeth with a chainsaw. No offense to him, he didn't really want to be a hygenist, but was rather what was "given" to him. Yeah, not fun.

Next time I go in to a dental doc. He points out a "shadow" in my xrays. This has been there for years, and has been a "problem" area for cavities, and they have been watching it for years to make sure it doesn't get worse. The AF doc decides to drill the "cavity". Turns out a few weeks later, a simple hypothetical "lets be safe" cavity has turned into a complete capping of a tooth, and not a ceramic (see above) but instead a gold tooth (bling bling). Yeah, I was talking to the dentist who was in the AF for 15 years and pretty much had no idea of anything going on in the air force beyond his examination chair. Pretty disappointing.

I was told that dentists track their numbers for when they transfer to the civ side of things. IE "700 wisdom teeth removed" and "XXX root canals done" so undoubtedly, they always err on the side of caution in order to boost their numbers. I wouldn't doubt this, considering what I've seen, as far as guys who never had a problem with wisdom teeth all the sudden finding themselves under the knife. Again, civilian without a doubt man.