Masters information (MBA/GRE)

Guest doggs_64

Does anyone have any experience with Henley-Putnam University? They offer a doctorate in Strategic Security that I might be interested in if I can get my company to pony up the $36K but to be honest I don't know much about them. From what I've found, they seem similar to American Military University, where I got my second masters from. They are also a participating university in the AU Associate to Baccalaureate Cooperative (AU-ABC). They also seem to get pretty good reviews (9.5/10 with 34 reviews), but I would like to hear from anyone who has firsthand experience with them, or even secondhand if they original source is reliable...

Cheers! M2

Does anyone have any experience with Henley-Putnam University? They offer a doctorate in Strategic Security that I might be interested in if I can get my company to pony up the $36K but to be honest I don't know much about them. From what I've found, they seem similar to American Military University, where I got my second masters from. They are also a participating university in the AU Associate to Baccalaureate Cooperative (AU-ABC). They also seem to get pretty good reviews (9.5/10 with 34 reviews), but I would like to hear from anyone who has firsthand experience with them, or even secondhand if they original source is reliable...

Cheers! M2

Don't know much about that specific university/degree, but it does appear that they aren't regionally accredited. It sounds like we're looking for a similar program, and I'd love to hear more info about the program if you get some firsthand experience. I don't know if you've looked at Colorado Tech, but they have a D.M. in Homeland Security that looks pretty similar to the Strategic Security program you mentioned. It's the only doctorate I've found until now that really addresses our niche and is available in a mostly online format.

Don't know much about that specific university/degree, but it does appear that they aren't regionally accredited. It sounds like we're looking for a similar program, and I'd love to hear more info about the program if you get some firsthand experience. I don't know if you've looked at Colorado Tech, but they have a D.M. in Homeland Security that looks pretty similar to the Strategic Security program you mentioned. It's the only doctorate I've found until now that really addresses our niche and is available in a mostly online format.

Henley-Putnam is nationally accredited, which is good enough for me.

As you may or may not remember, I got my second masters from American Military University. I really liked that school but they don't offer any doctorates at the moment.

I wasn't really looking to get my doctorate until I was recently contacted by someone at Henley-Putnam concerning another matter As I stated, my applying all depends on my getting sponsorship from my company. Oddly enough, most of my PhD buds actually don't recommend getting a doctorate unless I plan to move into academia at some point (which I have no plans of doing, despite being offered a job to teach after I got my first masters). However, my company might be willing to foot the bill as they did with my second grad degree as it would serve their interests as well as mine.

Thanks for the Colorado Tech link, it's interesting but the Henley-Putnam program better suits my professional needs at the moment.

If I hear any more about it, I'll let you know.

Cheers! M2

I'm just finishing AMU Mil Studies - Asymmetric Warfare. That concentration doesn't exist anymore and AMU's academic offerings seem to change significantly every couple of years. Also just noticed that all the Mil Studies courses are now 8-week classes which is awesome...I did my entire degree with 16-week classes which blew. I generally took 1 at a time and as you can imagine it took me a while to finish, basically 3 classes per year with some overlap to hurry up and get done. 8-week classes are perfect since you can take one class at a time and finish in exactly 2 years.

Generally I'm a little unhappy with AMU in that they've raised tuition to make my out-of-pocket costs quite a bit more per class since I started, only offered 16-week classes for the degree I wanted (looks like that's been fixed), and some of the professors in Mil Studies are lazy and don't really add much to the class other than telling us what the assignments are. I took an elective from the Intel Studies department and that class was awesome, only 8-weeks long, and the professor was extremely engaged and knowledgable, highly recommend that. Have heard good things about the Space Studies department from other dudes in the squadron.

All in all I wish I would have chosen something different, but then again I got an MA for around 2K and it was good enough so can't complain too much when you look at the big picture. GL!

Edited by nsplayr

Generally I'm a little unhappy with AMU in that they've raised tuition to make my out-of-pocket costs quite a bit more per class since I started

AMU isn't the only one doing this. They've all figured out that promotion in active duty AF has become pay-to-play, and there's a huge audience of folks who will pay out of their own pocket above TA to check a box. Just wait until TA is cancelled soon... lots of folks paying out of their own pockets, or blowing their GI Bill, on useless masters degrees.

• Upvote 1

Have heard good things about the Space Studies department from other dudes in the squadron.

I did the MS in Space Studies and I thought it was excellent. Having a space physiology professor with 4 Shuttle flights was pretty awesome. While most of the students are space dudes, there were a fair number of rated folks that made the discussions a lot more interesting. At least a couple of U-2 bubbas and some F-22 and KC-135 guys that I remember too.

If you want to branch out of just aviation or military studies, I'd highly recommend this degree. Just brush up on your calculus, orbital mechanics and vector math.

Well, AMU is regionally accredited at least...and doing a "box checking degree" is not necessarily correlated with a lack of marketable skills. I'm firmly in the camp that believes most rated military officers have the skills to pursue a successful career on the outside that has nothing to do with flying if they so choose.

Edited by nsplayr

I would like to get some opinions on what might be the best road to go down as far as a Masters (i.e. easiest program). Recent WIC grad, very little masters complete already through AMU, and plenty of time to get one since my O-4 board has been pushed back.

I could do the AU OLMP route where I get 12 credits leaving me 21 left and, unless I'm not reading it correctly, no ACSC credit with that program. The other option is through AMU...with my previous credits, they will give me 15 credits leaving me with 21 left to complete. There are pros and cons to both...looking for insight from guys that have done either program and recommendations. I'm trying to balance a hectic TDY schedule with family and still check the required box with the easiest program at this point.

I would like to get some opinions on what might be the best road to go down as far as a Masters (i.e. easiest program). Recent WIC grad, very little masters complete already through AMU, and plenty of time to get one since my O-4 board has been pushed back.

I could do the AU OLMP route where I get 12 credits leaving me 21 left and, unless I'm not reading it correctly, no ACSC credit with that program. The other option is through AMU...with my previous credits, they will give me 15 credits leaving me with 21 left to complete. There are pros and cons to both...looking for insight from guys that have done either program and recommendations. I'm trying to balance a hectic TDY schedule with family and still check the required box with the easiest program at this point.

I don't have any knowledge of the AU OLMP coursework, but I shudder at imagining. This is likely created by the same folks that brought you all your PME readings, tests and writing assignments. If you love reading about what a bunch of old dead guys think about leadership...then go ahead.

Go AMU, cash in on your WIC, SOS and specialty training if you can...and you'll already be halfway done before you start.

Check out other programs too if you can...I heard of some folks doing Oklahoma University before...you do all the homework on your own time, show up to class for a week and test and you are done...credits! Might be a good way to burn a week of use/lose and get the monkey off your back quickly.

I'm an advocate for the AU OLMP. You'll have the 7 core classes (21 hours) to accomplish to get your masters. The course load is fairly easy. I made all A's and 2 B's all the way through and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed nor did I spend great amounts of time on each class. Sure your studies focus on leadership, doctrine, joint structuring, planning and other blue koolaid nonsense but it's not a difficult curriculum. The only drawback to the program for you would be the research paper. It's a 25 page paper on whatever you want to research, and you have 8 weeks to build it. It's really not that difficult, just tedious.

As far as J-PME credit goes, you are correct that you will not be awarded this at the end of your program. It will however count as 3 of 7 ACSC correspondence classes completed before you ever have a line number for Major. You then have 2 options, enroll in the new correspondence program and complete the remaining 4 classes or reenroll on the OLMP and complete the Joint Warfare Studies (4 classes, 12 hours) to complete J-PME.

Sure it probably won't factor into a civilian employers decision to hire you, but it sounds like you are a few years away from this option. It does not require an ADSC extension or any monetary obligations from you and it advances you in ACSC completion before you're truly eligible. Let me know if you want more specifics.

if you wait until you already have a line number to major then it is fewer classes to be acsc complete, correct?

It depends. There are 3 programs. The Capt's, Weapons School, and Maj/Maj (s) all share 7 core classes. The Weapons school program counts WIC itself as the other 4 classes but does not meet the criteria for J-PME. The Capt's course has 4 specialty classes that focus on leadership; this program also does not meet J-PME requirements. The 4 specialty classes for Maj's complete the necessary requirements for J-PME.

So, a Capt will have to complete 11 classes to get their masters and then the 4 Maj's specialty classes to complete ACSC (15 total classes). A Maj will just have to complete the 11 classes to be awarded their masters and ACSC. The Weapons School course will have to complete the 7 core classes for their masters and then the 4 Maj's specialty classes for ACSC (11 total classes + WIC).

This is my interpretation of all the programs. I completed the Capt's program (masters) and then topped it off with the 4 Maj's courses for my ACSC.

I highly recommend the AU OLMP if all you're looking for is a square-filler. I'm just finishing up and I have to say that overall the coursework was incredibly easy, even with multiple deployments/TDYs (as long as you have Internet, but that probably goes for any course these days). I don't think I actually finished a single assigned reading, just skim over them, pick out a few good sounding quotes and add your 2 cents. Plus, at $free.99, it's hard to beat. I took one AMU class, it was way too time consuming and way too expensive. Save your $$ and your brain bytes for other endeavors. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

Thanks for all the good info. As far as the application process for the AU OLMP...I applied a couple of weeks ago to test the waters with it and haven't heard anything from AU yet. There's very little information I can find regarding the application and registration process. Does anyone remember how that worked for them? I would like to get the ball rolling on this ASAP. Additionally, are the classes offered pretty regularly or are some offered only during certain semesters?

Thanks for all the good info. As far as the application process for the AU OLMP...I applied a couple of weeks ago to test the waters with it and haven't heard anything from AU yet. There's very little information I can find regarding the application and registration process. Does anyone remember how that worked for them? I would like to get the ball rolling on this ASAP. Additionally, are the classes offered pretty regularly or are some offered only during certain semesters?

Not hearing anything from AU is correct. They'll send you an email a week or two out from the start of you first course do you can take the required orientation class. Orientation is basically just a tutorial on how to use Blackboard, net freedom, academic integrity, etc....

As far as course offerings you rank order the 5 classes you want to take and then are placed in them. I've never had anything other than what was at the number one position.

Then you get your books. So far I've bought 3, discussion questions were drawn from them, at ~$30 total. Everything else was a download and I never purchased a physical text book they all had Kindle editions.

University of Management and Technology is priced at TA for active duty military if you take two classes at once, AND free textbooks if you are Active Duty. Their website looks like it was made in 1997 on geocities, but it IS accredited and shit easy. But it is a totally 100% free to get Master's for the box-checker group with close to zero effort.

• 2 weeks later...
University of Management and Technology is priced at TA for active duty military if you take two classes at once, AND free textbooks if you are Active Duty. Their website looks like it was made in 1997 on geocities, but it IS accredited and shit easy. But it is a totally 100% free to get Master's for the box-checker group with close to zero effort.

I have done 1 class through ERAU and really not enjoying it. It seems worthless, and yet I had to spend a bunch more time on it than I thought I would...so whats the point. I would rather spend my time getting a legit degree; unfortunately I only have above 1 year and 8 months or so until I should really have this thing done for my Majors board, and that really isn't enough time to start a legit MBA program. So now, I want to just get the absolute easiest degree done (something I can do within a year or so) and then go back later and get a real masters.

After reading this entire thread, I am considering the AU ALMP because it sounds pretty easy and has the benefit of ACSC partial completion.

However, this UMT sounds easy as shit. Can anyone expand on this "close to zero effort" you speak of?

TUI = Close to zero effort. An MBA through them is easily feasible with your timeline. Do it and save yourself the reality of getting passed over for Maj due to lack of masters like several dudes I know. You can always do a legit masters later if you so desire.

TUI is not the great deal it used to be. They upped the tuition rate, so its $200 out of pocket for each class on top of TA. Also the coursework is more closely monitored than it was before, you actually have to do some work to get the BS degree. I am 2 classes from finishing it, started before this change and I would not recommend it anymore.

Here's a good description of what to expect from UMT. I'm finishing my first two classes (MBA). One class was 3 papers and one multiple choice quiz. I occasionally cherry picked quotes out of the textbooks for the papers, but otherwise, your commissioning source should be enough (it was a communications class). The other class was business law, and was 3 multiple choice quizzes plus a final paper. Honestly, I didn't read the textbooks because it was unnecessary. If you are deployed, you could very easily finish one class in a few days to a week. Tuition is covered by TA as long as you take two classes, and you rent textbooks for free.

Also, I asked for an extension because apparently their course site is blocked out here (deployed). They said that there is an automatic two week extension built in, and you don't have to ask for it or anything. If you can't finish it within those two weeks, you still get an additional semester to finish the class, no questions asked.

That is what I mean be close to zero effort, which is exactly what I want right now. Just check the box early on to keep my options open, and if I want a real two year MBA when I get out, I'll get one then.

Is it not true that most schools will not let you do an MBA program if you already have completed an MBA at another school? For exmple, I heard that if you get a bullshit MBA from one school and then try to go to a top University like the University of Chicago, you are not allowed to be admitted into their MBA program.

Does anyone know the accuracy of this statement?

Edited by one

Is it not true that most schools will not let you do an MBA program if you already have completed an MBA at another school? For exmple, I heard that if you get a bullshit MBA from one school and then try to go to a top University like the University of Chicago, you are not allowed to be admitted into their MBA program. Does anyone know the accuracy of this statement?

Just don't tell them.

Is it not true that most schools will not let you do an MBA program if you already have completed an MBA at another school? For exmple, I heard that if you get a bullshit MBA from one school and then try to go to a top University like the University of Chicago, you are not allowed to be admitted into their MBA program.

Does anyone know the accuracy of this statement?

This is 100% correct. That is why I advise people to not get a bullshit MBA because you lose out on that opportunity to get a real one with a real network later. If you want a BS degree go to TUI or AMU and get a degree in military studies or some crap like that. No reputable MBA program will accept a student who already has an MBA.

Just don't tell them.

And ignore this horrible advice. Lying on your application is not going to get you into school. If you do get accepted every major program uses background check services to make sure you were honest in your application. This includes the question they all ask to list any education and advanced degrees.

Edited by mappleby