Masters information (MBA/GRE)

Guest doggs_64

Yup. Pretty straight forward. Follow the instructions on the letters to get it approved by SAP/IAP and eventually get with your education office (they will have to manually enter the courses into the vEducation area of the portal since the portal won't allow you to apply for TA on a second master's). Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Appreciate it. Attached is the Policy Letter for everyone's info...

2nd Master\'s Policy.pdf

• 1 month later...

Any AMU grads out there? Looking for info on the practicum vs exam for the capstone class. Looking for any inputs on how either was. I don't want to take a comprehensive test on everything I've forgotten, but the practicum is talking about finding a workplace mentor and logging 120+ hours of work etc.

Any AMU grads out there? Looking for info on the practicum vs exam for the capstone class. Looking for any inputs on how either was. I don't want to take a comprehensive test on everything I've forgotten, but the practicum is talking about finding a workplace mentor and logging 120+ hours of work etc.

I got my second masters thru AMU, took the comp and it wasn't that bad. Four questions and six hours of upper level BS'ing supported by facts.

Going back and reviewing the objectives from the core classes helped, if you can answer those then you should do well on the exam. Heck, just knowing how to properly answer a question at the graduate level (a stated position supported by fact-based arguments) and taking good notes in the core classes during the program will allow you to kick ass (I pass with distinction on all four questions, and graduated with honors, and I'm really not that smart!).

However, I did take the classes seriously, to include typing up all my highlights and notes from the books. If it was a core class (testable on the comp), I paid particular attention to the texts.

Being organized and taking the program seriously will make a big difference in how you do. My classes weren't particularly tough, just a lot of reading and paper writing and online discussion inputs...

All in all I think the comp is the way to go. The thesis and practicum approaches may be more of a pain that you realize. They should easy at first, but once you do a little research on them you'll find they require a lot of time and effort...

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

Got my Masters online from Norwich University in Diplomacy (International Relations) and even though it was more expensive and did cost out of pocket, I would do it again. Also, I chose this over Troy, ERAU, AMU, etc... b/c I am hoping it looks better once I get out of the AF.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what makes you lean toward thinking that a Norwich degree would look better in the civilian world as compared to a Troy degree or an AMU degree in a subject like international relations? I mean, it is not like we are talking about top-10 schools in business or engineering. I would guess, and this is just opinion obviously, that an employer looking at the resumes of two guys applying for some sort of management job at a Fortune 100 company (not necessarily related to international relations), would probably not put much weight in either degree. Now if you are applying for a diplomat job with the State Department, maybe a different story.

I only ask because I strongly considered the program at Norwich but didn't feel that the cost/benefit payoff would be there if I ever got a "normal" job on the outside.

Guest wildblue

Has anyone here done the Masters in IT Management from TUI? Any thoughts or advice on the program would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to decide between TUI and a couple of big name brick-and-mortar institutions with online programs. The fact I could get a Masters from TUI at zero cost without touching my G.I. Bill is hard to pass up. Is there much programming involved in the courses, or is it really more of a management perspective? Has anyone had any feedback from a civilian employer when putting TUI masters on a resume? (Not planning on getting out anytime soon, but just in case.)

I know we've discussed TUI already on this thread, but any further info or program-specific info would be awesome. Also, if anyone got an INFOSEC degree from someplace else, could you PM me or something... I've got some more questions and don't want to clog up this thread too much. Thanks!!!!

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what makes you lean toward thinking that a Norwich degree would look better in the civilian world as compared to a Troy degree or an AMU degree in a subject like international relations? I mean, it is not like we are talking about top-10 schools in business or engineering. I would guess, and this is just opinion obviously, that an employer looking at the resumes of two guys applying for some sort of management job at a Fortune 100 company (not necessarily related to international relations), would probably not put much weight in either degree. Now if you are applying for a diplomat job with the State Department, maybe a different story.

I only ask because I strongly considered the program at Norwich but didn't feel that the cost/benefit payoff would be there if I ever got a "normal" job on the outside.

I also did the Diplomacy program at Norwich.

Good:

1. Norwich is an actual brick and mortar school with a name recognized in many circles, including government and business. While not Ivy League or a top 10 B-school, it is respected among those within the above circles.

2. Excellent and accomplished instructors. I had a Nobel Prize winner, a nationally recognized editorial writer, and other oft-published professors.

3. Take it anywhere; completely online.

4. Tough standards-you are challenged both academically and with time management.

5. Residency allows networking and a greater sense of belonging to a community that, regardless of what you think of the education value, is very accomplished with some pretty incredible people/career opportunities.

Bad:

1. Expensive. I paid $17,000 out of pocket for a $28,000 degree.

2. Completely online. Personal interaction introduces different leadership, interpersonal, and expertise experiences.

3. Not a top 10 school.

Overall:

Very satisfied with my degree. Unless you go to Harvard, Yale, Wharton, etc..., school name alone does not matter. I think employers look at online degrees with less respect than residence programs. However, being a 200 year-old brick and mortar school, I think Norwich is a cut or two above, let's say Phoenix, Troy, AMU, ERAU distance learning, etc... That's why I chose to pursue the degree. I equate Norwich to USAFA. It's not West Point (comparing undergrad programs), but it's still a great school, and is respected by those who are "in the know." Opportunity is about both networking and hard work. Norwich offers/requires both, making it a great school.

With that said, I am currently an in-resident MBA student at Arizona as I don't think a Norwich degree alone will make me rich. Hopefully the two degrees will complement to provide some great opportunities when I get out (or stay in, who knows???).

Edited by Pancake

Has anyone transfered credit from ACSC correspondence to AMU? Seems like if you get your masters in National Security, they will transfer the max amount of credits from ACSC...something like 15 or 18 credits.

Anybody have any gouge about ERAU and their aeronautical sciences masters? Is it a check the box or a worthwhile degree? How much work is it? Are most of the classes online or is it a good split between classroom and online coursework?

Anybody have any gouge about ERAU and their aeronautical sciences masters? Is it a check the box or a worthwhile degree? How much work is it? Are most of the classes online or is it a good split between classroom and online coursework?

Its fine. Up until you realize that in your final class before the Capstone project, there is an UNDERGRAD Statistics prereq. That's correct, you can be accepted to that program without the requisite undergrad courses completed for one of their required masters courses.

I don't recall this being an issue at Purdue, but who knows. Needless to say, I'm pissed and am taking the DANTES stats. test for the prereq. Because of this, I am no longer recommending the ERAU Aero Sciences program for a masters degree.

Just my experience. The profs have been incredibly flexible with coursework and assignments, but that prereq policy really burned.

• 3 weeks later...

TA for a second Master's degree (in international relations or a foreign language) is definitely legit and is happening. In case nobody mentioned it, check with your Ed Center for details. They can get the approval from SAF/IAF and then process the TA requests.

So back to my original question... has anyone on this board been approved for a second masters degree? If so, from where and in what?

Yes, Troy's MSIR. Got another round of TA from the SAF/IA program as Troy's MSIR allows you to do a "regional concentration/focus" which covered the regional/area studies requirement SAF/IA approval & TA. The application process (this was 2+ years ago--might have changed) was very easy. I just emailed the SAF/IA folks...let them know I wanted to complete the MSIR and listed the courses I needed to take. That afternoon I got a letter to bring to the base Ed office that allowed me another round of TA.

Edited by noodles

So back to my original question... has anyone on this board been approved for a second masters degree? If so, from where and in what?

Yes! I think I, and several other people have posted numerous times in this thread confirming that they are approving TA for a second master's degree in IR or a foreign language. Yes, someone on this board (ME, at least) has been approved for a second master's degree in IR (Troy University).

Check out this thread for details and policy letters on getting approved for TA toward a second master's degree. Also, check out the several of the posts on page 15 of this thread too for first hand accounts and tips on getting TA approved for a second master's degree.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest holycow

Air University has opened up one version of it's ACSC online master's program to Captains.

So I just finished up my course 20 and need to start thinking about starting the Masters. Has anyone been accepted or taken the courses.

I like the fact it's free, and I don't see anything about service commitments.

How do you think the civilian community would react to a degree such as this? Better or worse than say an MBA from Tui.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If you were a 4 year scholarship guy like me, you cannot use the top-up program unless that has changed. I went to TUI and TA covered the whole thing. However, TUI is not AACSB accredited though, with it only having regional accredation. Not sure what that means in the business world, but I really don't care.

At what point can you put down that you are BAC+? I'm not sure I plan on staying career military so I don't feel like wasting my time on a bullsht degree right now just to check the box for Major. But if I could take a few classes to at least say I'm at the "Bachelor's plus" area maybe my supervisor will stop pestering me every few months about getting started on my masters. I assume you have to take more than just a single course but I'm not really sure.

At what point can you put down that you are BAC+? I'm not sure I plan on staying career military so I don't feel like wasting my time on a bullsht degree right now just to check the box for Major. But if I could take a few classes to at least say I'm at the "Bachelor's plus" area maybe my supervisor will stop pestering me every few months about getting started on my masters. I assume you have to take more than just a single course but I'm not really sure.

I believe it's 15 credits.

This may be a dumb question, or maybe not, but I have always wanted to go to TPS and I have an undergrad in Aerospace Eng. to qualify. Does that count as a Master's, I thought the reg was changed and it does but I could be wrong?!

This may be a dumb question, or maybe not, but I have always wanted to go to TPS and I have an undergrad in Aerospace Eng. to qualify. Does that count as a Master's, I thought the reg was changed and it does but I could be wrong?!

From http://www.edwards.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-070111-025.pdf, a BS in engineering, math, or physics is sufficient for pilot/nav applicants. If you are asking about counting as a masters for your promotion boards, http://www.edwards.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=6467 says you get a masters for completing TPS.

• 2 months later...

As far as my limited search skills can determine, GRE prep is yet to be covered in this thread. As a Touro U grad, I definitely understand the path of least resistance to get min-effort MBA prior to the Maj's board. Perhaps I should have taken the GRE before I got my Master's, but starting it as an Lt I really didn't have the time/inclination to pour time into the GRE followed by an academically rigorous Master's program.

Now I'm planning on taking the GRE in order to get a score on file prior to the school board to open up some IDE possibilities. I understand the test will undergo a complete overhaul starting in Aug '11, so I'm prepping to take the current version prior to the switch. I'm looking at the Princeton Review, Peterson's, Kaplan, and the limited pre-tests offered by ETS.

If you've prepped for and taken the GRE, which program did you use? What did you like/hate about the GRE prep program you used? Did you take the paper or CBT version of the test?

Now I'm planning on taking the GRE in order to get a score on file prior to the school board to open up some IDE possibilities.

Does the board consider a candidate's graduate discipline when considering IDE opportunities? The number of degrees? The university(ies)? Can the GMAT substitute for the GRE?

Through my IDE research, I concluded that ultimately, the selection process is all but entirely out of my control.

Edited by Pancake

Does the board consider a candidate's graduate discipline when considering IDE opportunities? The number of degrees? The university(ies)? Can the GMAT substitute for the GRE?

Through my IDE research, I concluded that ultimately, the selection process is all but entirely out of my control.

From what I've read and been told, the board doesn't consider the GRE, however, some of the schools "require" a GRE/GMAT. hence, you can read into it that if you don't meet the basic requirements of said school, you won't get selected. Although I have never heard of it, I'm sure you could be selected, then go and take the GRE/GMAT.