Acquisitions

I recently talked to my hometown reserve unit, the 419th FW and they told me that its very difficult to get picked up for UPT if you're already in a active duty career field. I was just wondering if it would be extremely difficult for me to get a UPT slot if I'm in Acquisitions for a year.

Guest AirGuardian

Tough, but not impossible. But isn't that how it is for most flying allocations on this board. Granted some entry levels are easier than others, but still overall very competitive in nature. As far your hometown is concerned. You do have homefield advantage, so you have that going for you! It's heavily weighed in the Guard, should be the same for the Reserves in most cases. I would look at AD while your doing your commitment and if you can get out soon definitely start applying to your unit of choice/s and get the ball rolling. As far as Acquistions, get those ratings or pardon me "levels" while your in the AF since I'm pretty sure they are the same in the civilian sector and can land you a decent job on the outside while you fly with the Reserves after landing yourself a slot. Plenty of my Acquisition friends get the levels done and punch out for the other opportunities. Still, definitely look at AD, it may be another route if you're willing to suffer the commitment - it will come down to your desire to fly and at what cost. Try the Reserve unit, you never know! Good luck!

I actually talked to them about UPT and they told me they send about one to UPT every 2-3 years, and that lately they've just been taking active duty guys, so I was kinda outta luck on that one. However, something was brought to my attention most recently and it ties into what you said. Go into acquisitions, get my masters degree if the AF will pay for it, join a flying club and log as many hours as possible, then go from there. At least that way I have options.

I still have a year until I commission however, so in the meantime I'm going to continue flying and start applying to guard/reserve units regardless of what airframe they're flying.(Although fighters would be awesome!) Flying is flying.

Thank you sir for your insights and advice, I appreciate it!

Guest bammer35

I was in acquisitions for two years and just got ENJJPT on the last AD board. It can be done. Good luck.

Guest AirGuardian

No problem Lagguer,

Bammer seems to have done it thru the AD; I definitely would look into it for the sake of flying. Good luck to you and thanks Bammer for the proof of effort! Kick butt at ENJJPT!

Guest newflyer

I concur with bammer. I was AD in acquisitions for 2 yrs. Just got picked up by the board headed to Moody in Jun. Bring on the T-6!

Guest egghead

Hey lagguer,

I'm up at Hill AFB. If you want to ask some questions to pilot types in person or just want to look around the line let me know. I've been here a couple years and know a few folks from most parts of the base. Just an offer. Up to you.

[ 20. April 2004, 19:54: Message edited by: egghead ]

That would be great!! I was just up there this past weekend, but I felt like I came at the wrong time and asked the wrong questions. Kind of made me feel like I didn't stand a chance, but I would love just to look around and talk to some people. Thanks a lot!

Guest blove_maxq

I also was a 62E for 2 years and got picked up this year. There was another 62E and a 63 in my squadron that got selected, so it definitely can be done.

Guest eowizard

Same here - 62E for 2 years. I know several other acquisitions officers that were picked up, some that had applied previous years. As long as you meet the TOS requirements in the UFT announcement and get selected, they will release you from ACQ.

Guest AirGuardian

lagguer,

Well, I would still try the hometown unit your interested in, but as I'm guessing - most of these folks above did it through the active duty. So it seems its very doable for AD, the others are more of a challenge. Shoot for both and get something which is always better than nothing. I'd apply to both if you really want to fly. Good to see all the accepted AQ people!

Spent 3 years as a 62 and was picked up in '02 for UNT. I was concerned that I wouldn't be released due to "critical manning levels" in the Acq field, but I guess the ops world is less critically manned.

My experience in the 62 world was somewhat disappointing at first. Most guys arrive (like I did) on AD pretty fired up, but then lose their motivation when they find themselves working among civilians and contractors. Take the opportunity to shine and don't let yourself become a sh!tbag Lt (which,unfortunately is very common). I agree with Air Guardian-get as much Acq training/certs as you possibly can and join the Aero club if you want to go to UPT. Most 62 jobs are what you make of it since some civilian supervisors aren't quite sure what to expect of you (see "sh!tbag above")-and you can really use this to your advantage. Good luck!

I'm in the 419th (flight liner) and here are a few observations:

The 419th is a very experienced unit. They almost exclusively select from active duty. Also, they now are involved in the exchange deal with active duty (388th) and have kept some openings filled that way. They have one guy (prior med tech) who was selected for UPT and is due to return soon. The last guy they sent to UPT is now a middle-aged balding major. He was a crew chief like myself. Another thing is that the pilots, with exception to the younger guys (who carry little authority), are not really interested in discussing UPT possibilities. Ask me how I know!

Any way, that's my 2c. Let me know if I can get you any info laugger. I will if I can.

By the way, have you looked into the Salt Lake guard unit? Last I heard they are taking four guys every sept. If you want tankers...

Guest AirGuardian

Salt Lake City ANG, E Models if I recall during my visit years ago. Hopefully 76's come on line for the AD, so SL City can switch their E's for R's from the AD like many other E-models which need replacing!

A few more questions to those who were in aquisitions:

I don't know too much about acq.(as you will soon find out) :confused: , but I've heard it's the place to be when it comes to entering the civilian world because of all the people you meet and the training you receive. Is this true? What's it like? What are the days like? Do you work mainly with civilians? How's the ops tempo?

I apologize for all of the questions, but I just want to know if it's the place to be if I want to try and earn my masters, and gain some great real-world skills.

Thanks!

Guest eowizard

If entering the civilian world is your objective, then Acq. is a great place to be. Seems to me, defense contractors like to gobble up acq officers when they are on the verge of seperation, mainly because they know how the govt. side of business works - not neccessarily for their technical prowess. You will probably get to deal with some of the big defense contractors and all the civilians you can handle, maybe do some field testing, TS stuff, most likely you will manage your share of contracts.

All in all, there is vast opportunity in Acq to do some really cool stuff, or you can sit in your cube all day taking online acq/T&E classes, or sit in your cube and play with Outlook. In my experience, there wasn't much direction, so you just have to be really, really proactive and good things will come.

Ops tempo is pretty much non-existant. Probably a good opportunity to get your masters on the side - or do some flying.

Guest eowizard

Oh yeah....your experience will probably vary greatly on whether you are in a lab (AFRL), system program office (SPO), developmental T&E (AFFTC), operational T&E (AFOTEC), Air Logistics Center (depot), etc.

I was in the labs and it was a great experience - lots of "hands-on" stuff, lots of CONUS TDY travel.

Ditto all eowizard said (BTW...is eowizard from ARFL @ wright-Patt?) about Acq. Transitioning to a gov't GS/GG type job can be almost seamless if you're an Acq Lt. You're an attractive candidate because you already know the job and have your clearance. Also, your privy to all the job openings and can convince that old geezer in the cube next to you that it's time to retire.

• 2 years later...

--Thread revival--

Two years and 6 months...is that a record?

I'm in the middle of applying for a new AFSC (former nav select) and am seriously considering putting ACQ as my number one choice for a new AFSC.

Can anyone provide any insight into the career field? I'm a engineer and business major in college and ACQ sounds like a great career field to apply for.

How is the ACQ career field broken up?

What are some of the larger ACQ AFBs?

What's the training like to become an ACQ officer?

Are there any other AFSCs similar to ACQ, like engineering or contracting?

I seriously appreciate any help. Thanks.

Guest KoolKat
Two years and 6 months...is that a record?
Doubtful.

I'm in the middle of applying for a new AFSC (former nav select) and am seriously considering putting ACQ as my number one choice for a new AFSC.
Man, I read your other thread yesterday. You do realize that you didn't have to actually fly the plane anymore, right? You just have to sit there...sit there and tell me where to go and how to get around the thunderstorm. You'd get paid for that. You'd rather be an Acquisitions officer? It's you descision and your life, but I think it's a collosal mistake. I hope you really enjoy where you end up.

That being said, I've had an acquisitions job and have known many a person that has. There are some very cool jobs out there. It very much depends, you can imagine your job being about aquiring staplers vs. aquiring new kinds of munitions would be a big difference. You're jumping into a very large pool and the pool has alot of big turds lying in it...I hope you don't land in one of them.

I honestly question whether you even know what the f_ck you're talking about. You know you didn't have to fly the plane anymore, right? I'll lay off now.

Can anyone provide any insight into the career field? I'm a engineer and business major in college and ACQ sounds like a great career field to apply for.
This is a tough question. Your best bet is google and AFPC's website. I'm not sure how you came up with "a great career field," but there are certainly some very cool things to done as an engineer. Depending on what kind of engineering degree you have, look at the engineering AFSCs, not the general aquisition ones.

I was a 62E. My SRO from UPT was also a 62E. I worked at Eglin doing munitions testing and he worked at Wright-Pat testing the new g-suits in the fuge. You have to be in the right place at the right time and talk the talk to get those kinds of gigs as a LT, but it can certainly be done. I'm going to pretend that I still think you're smart enough, despite what we're talking about right now.

How is the ACQ career field broken up?

What are some of the larger ACQ AFBs?

What's the training like to become an ACQ officer?

Are there any other AFSCs similar to ACQ, like engineering or contracting?

I have no idea how it's broken up. It will be extremely dependant on where you end up. I wish you luck, it could be at Minot aquiring laminate for the Navs to use on their charts; that would be irony.

Acquisition officers are everywhere and so are engineers. The AFPC website should get into this info for you.

The training is pretty much nil. You have a BS degree and you don't know shit anyways. The actual inital Acquisitions Training are CBTs and are EXTREMELY PAINFUL!!! EXTREMELY PAINFUL!!! Clear your desk of all sharp items and make sure they are not within your arms reach! You will stick someing into your eyeball and immediately regret taking the training!

Again, you can be an engineer AND be in aquisitions. Look into the enginering career fields, I think you're better off going that route rather then vice versa.

My last point, there is a really good chance that your going to get immersed into an environment filled with a majority of civilians. The plus side is they are there permenantly and the down side is they are there permenantly...

I was amazed by the way the did things, for the most part just becuase it was always the way it was, that's always the way they did it. I rocked the boat every other damn day around that place, that became very annoying and made my job very difficult...it is VERY hard to make any kind of difference or change without hurting someone's feelings or having them talk shit about you behind your back. They definitly missed the "flexibility is the key to air power" briefing.

I am thankful for everyday that I don't have a 9 to 5 civilian job, at least not in an environment like that. Working with aviators everyday is a VERY different situation.

Blah, rambling probably...Good Luck Dude!

I think you should reconsider what you're doing right now if you still can. If not, there is an unlimited set of possibilities for where you are going. Work hard, be proactive and you'll find something you like. Probably not like more than you would have being a nav, but fourtunately you'll never know the difference anyways.

BENDY

[ 18. November 2006, 22:11: Message edited by: Bender ]

I agree with Bender- especially the comment about the 9 to 5 thing. Unless things have changed dramatically in the last 4 years, as a 62 you will essentially be a civilian wearing BDUs and PT grape-smugglers while putting up with all of the shoe clerkisms that run rampant at places like WPAFB.

When you can't stand the BS of the recent Air Force, you can always relish in the fact that at least you're a flyer doing the mission. That perspective and gratification is extremely limited from within a lab/SPO/cubicle.

Unless it's a medical thing, I'd reconsider your AFSC choice.

Since I've been a 63 for the past year and a half, I can say with great confidence that you are a civilian w/ BDUs, playing warrior. As I like to call it, we are the "rear of the spear." The only perks I like from my job is I can work out 5x a week for 2 hrs a day, and have an assload of time to work on my MBA. However, I put in for the AD UPT board this year so my days of waking up at 0730 and leaving a 1630 might be a thing of the past.

On the flip side though, acquisitions offers a good back up plan if I can never fly and decide to seperate. But trying to do a full 20 in this career field will kill me and I don't think the civilian side will be any different, I'll just get paid more.

Acquisitions is not somewhere you want to be if you hate cubicles and an "Office Space" environment. If you're into that shit, go for it. But if you hate sitting on your ass while watching civilians get fatter, find another AFSC.