FC1 Physical Information

Guest Ragansundowner

• 3 weeks later...
It should not have any impact on the blood work next week.
This.

I imagine they want the results available before or just after you show up at WP. I'm kinda surprised it's only two tests, unless the two vials will be sufficient for several other tests, which is common enough.

Also, two vials is almost nothing compared to your total blood volume.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently Guard enlisted. What did you prior enlisted guys wear to the exam? I've heard PT uniform from one source, and comfortable workout clothes from another.

Also, any reason to take copies of paperwork with me TO the exam? I'll definitely have copies in my car/room, but any reason to have them on hand?

Thanks.

Just wear PT uniform. They will have you guys hanging out in a room dedicated to FC-1 applicants in between exams, so you will have a place to leave whatever you bring with you so you dont have to carry it around everywhere.

Edited by Kenny Powers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Quick question for you. I recently had my FCI at WPAFB back on Dec 3rd - 7th. Everything went great. I was informed by the staff that it would take roughly 30-45 days for my physical to be sent to HQ, stamped, and approved. I was wondering since this time has past how I can find out if everything went through ok. I contacted both my unit and recruiter and haven't heard anything back yet.

Thanks in advance!

Did mine last week of July, found out first or second week of September, I had a waiver for head injury in there as well, my NCO told me, showed me the FC1 form with a approval stamp, and I think I had to sign a form. I'm ROTC though, My guess is they are taking a couple extra days with the holidays being in your time frame. Hope that helps.

Spider,

I went to Wright-Pat the 2nd week in December for my FC1. I was sworn into my unit in September and because of that, my airfare was paid for by the unit (they set it up and everything). As far as hotel stay and other expenses (cab ride to and from airport) I paid for myself but then was reimbursed by the unit. Keep all your receipts and fill out a travel voucher at your unit when you get back.

That was my experience, I know a few other FC1 applicants that had to pay everything on their own if they were not sworn in/enlisted.

Any questions about the FC1 process feel free to ask or PM and I'll give you everything I went through.

Hope this helps and best of luck

-Chem

Hey guys. Quick question for you. I recently had my FCI at WPAFB back on Dec 3rd - 7th. Everything went great. I was informed by the staff that it would take roughly 30-45 days for my physical to be sent to HQ, stamped, and approved. I was wondering since this time has past how I can find out if everything went through ok. I contacted both my unit and recruiter and haven't heard anything back yet.

Thanks in advance!

I was in the same group. I got my results a couple weeks ago. No waivers.

• 3 years later...

Hey guys, John here.  I was selected on 16ot02 for pilot, and am extremely excited.  I have to wait until august for OTS because I am graduating school then, however my flight physical is in two weeks at Randolph AFB and I had some questions.  I have been told it is a breeze and I have nothing to worry about, however I have been unable to find a comprehensive review of everything that is checked and what it consists of.  Do I need to meet a running requirement? Should I do anything special to prepare?  Also, if an issue is found, what is the waiver process like?  Other than that, what is the physical itself like?  I presume it is much more in depth than MEPS, however I am still curious as to the things they check.

Thanks,

John

Hello my friends. I have a question about hearing. I am a 1UOX1 (Sensor Operator) in the ANG and I want to get my commission and be a 18X pilot. There is "nothing" wrong with me except that my hearing took a hit a couple years ago from a VERY LOUD gun shot from an ignoramus. A former friend of mine shot a Mosin Nagant next to my ear because he thought it would be funny. It wasn't funny. I thought i was fine, but this past yearly physical I failed the test for the first time ever and had to retake it. I've always had perfect hearing. Until now, i guess. I ended up passing the test the second time the next day by mashing the button at the 6000hz frequency. And no one batted an eye, but I am actually legitimately concerned about my air force aviation future... Is it over?? !please say no!  and my haring scores from the failed test are as  fallows.

500   1000   2000   3000   4000   6000

Right:     O      O       -5        O          5        -5

Left:       O      -5       O        O          5        60*

I currently have a class III GBC (Bround Based Controller) Physical. I want the be an 18X Pilot. But the change in my hearing isn't known to them yet. Im terrified that i will go for my FC1 and they will turn me away and i will lose my Sensor Operator job, and wont be able to be an RPA pilot.

***So i guess what I'm asking is... Even with this hearing score, will they still let me attend URT* (the unmanned school for pilots)? Does the air force REALLY care about this score? (please say I'm not screwed).

On 3/18/2016 at 5:11 PM, Johnny said:

Hey guys, John here.  I was selected on 16ot02 for pilot, and am extremely excited.  I have to wait until august for OTS because I am graduating school then, however my flight physical is in two weeks at Randolph AFB and I had some questions.  I have been told it is a breeze and I have nothing to worry about, however I have been unable to find a comprehensive review of everything that is checked and what it consists of.  Do I need to meet a running requirement? Should I do anything special to prepare?  Also, if an issue is found, what is the waiver process like?  Other than that, what is the physical itself like?  I presume it is much more in depth than MEPS, however I am still curious as to the things they check.

Thanks,

John

There is no running as part of the physical.  Other than that, it's quite comprehensive.  You'll get an eye exam, chest x-ray, blood work-up, hearing test, dental exam, EKG, etc.  It will likely be spread over several days.  If you are found to require a waiver, the process takes care of itself.  The flight submits the paperwork to the waiver authority (AETC) and they either approve or deny.  That takes 4-6 weeks.  You do not have to do anything other than sit and wait for the results.  If you make it through the FC I exam, you will then go to Wright-Patterson for the MFS (Medical Flight Screening) portion, which consists of a corneal topography, color vision, red lens test, anthropometrics and a long neuro-psychiatry test which is a combination of a personality and IQ test.  It is not pass/fail.  It's meant to get a baseline brain function test in case you ever have head trauma down the road and is a bit of a research tool to find out what types of people become successful pilots.

On March 20, 2016 at 8:47 AM, stuckindayton said:

There is no running as part of the physical.  Other than that, it's quite comprehensive.  You'll get an eye exam, chest x-ray, blood work-up, hearing test, dental exam, EKG, etc.  It will likely be spread over several days.  If you are found to require a waiver, the process takes care of itself.  The flight submits the paperwork to the waiver authority (AETC) and they either approve or deny.  That takes 4-6 weeks.  You do not have to do anything other than sit and wait for the results.  If you make it through the FC I exam, you will then go to Wright-Patterson for the MFS (Medical Flight Screening) portion, which consists of a corneal topography, color vision, red lens test, anthropometrics and a long neuro-psychiatry test which is a combination of a personality and IQ test.  It is not pass/fail.  It's meant to get a baseline brain function test in case you ever have head trauma down the road and is a bit of a research tool to find out what types of people become successful pilots.

Thanks for the reply.  My physical is scheduled for just one day at Randolph in about a week and a half.  I appreciate  the insight.

• 3 years later...

Question for a doc for the FC1 physical. I thought everything on my medical was fine, it’s due to the wing this week. Except i got a call saying I’ll need a waiver for passive Airsickness that I got back in CSO training. Unfortunately I’m on leave now, and i can’t come In to get checked up on. Everything on my medical except that checked out. I have never heard of this needing a waiver, crazy how a simple airsickness can bite you in the a**** does anyone have any insight or ways to get around this, or do i need to get checked out to really move forward. 

• 1 year later...

Hopefully an easy question here. I currently have a FC1A certified in mid 2019 with the only limfac preventing FC1 was myopia. I've since received PRK from Keesler (about a month ago) and am 20/15 in both eyes, uncorrected. Do I need to retake the entire Flight Physical exam to change my 1A to a 1? Or can I just prove to the flight doc that my eyes are now good to go? Thanks a ton!

On 1/8/2021 at 12:44 PM, Waypoint57 said:

Hopefully an easy question here. I currently have a FC1A certified in mid 2019 with the only limfac preventing FC1 was myopia. I've since received PRK from Keesler (about a month ago) and am 20/15 in both eyes, uncorrected. Do I need to retake the entire Flight Physical exam to change my 1A to a 1? Or can I just prove to the flight doc that my eyes are now good to go? Thanks a ton!

Your FC I will require a trip to Wright-Patt, which your FCIA did not. You'll have to accomplish that.  Regarding what specific additional tests will be required is likely going to be up to the docs processing your physical.

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2021 at 12:23 PM, stuckindayton said:

Your FC I will require a trip to Wright-Patt, which your FCIA did not. You'll have to accomplish that.  Regarding what specific additional tests will be required is likely going to be up to the docs processing your physical.

Copy all! Thanks for the info! Lucky for me, I'm PCSing to WPAFB later this year. However, to beat the [expected] deadline for the next UPT board, I'm thinking I'll need to come by sooner. I'll make the trip arrangements with my base!

2 hours ago, Waypoint57 said:

Copy all! Thanks for the info! Lucky for me, I'm PCSing to WPAFB later this year. However, to beat the [expected] deadline for the next UPT board, I'm thinking I'll need to come by sooner. I'll make the trip arrangements with my base!

BTW- I didn't notice this the first time around.  You're going to have to wait six months from your PRK to complete the IFC I.  I would go ahead and get the scheduling going now, but just plan on making sure it's no sooner than six months from surgery.

31 minutes ago, stuckindayton said:

BTW- I didn't notice this the first time around.  You're going to have to wait six months from your PRK to complete the IFC I.  I would go ahead and get the scheduling going now, but just plan on making sure it's no sooner than six months from surgery.

Noted! No earlier than 6 months from the surgery date. I'll get the scheduling done now. Thank you! 

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2005 at 6:33 PM, USAF Pilot said:

FC1 is much more extensive than the commissioning physical. It took several days for me to complete all of it.

For FC1 standards check out AFI 48-123. For types of tests, check out AFP 48-133. Both can be found at http://www.e-publishing.af.mil.

Good Luck!

Thread revival...

Where can I find the most updated version of AFP 48-133? AFI is on there but not AFP. It isn't on epubs anymore. Is it now FOUO info?

Edit: Or is 1 June 2000 still the latest version?

Edited by TLIMSISNW