FC1 Physical Information

Guest Ragansundowner

Originally posted by priorAF:

So how do they check your spine for scoliosis and imperfections?

Chest x-rays were fine for me. Doc noticed scoliosis on me when looking me over on my IFC1--bend down touch your toes, come up slowly. This led to being measured, which involved a couple of back x-rays. No one in 25-1/2 years said a word, but Dr. EagleEye caught it, even with only one degree--I think the regs allow twenty.

Good luck with your pilot thing!

• 3 months later...
Guest jriggoMOANG

Thread Revival!!!

I just took my IFC1 this weekend with the Peoria ANG unit. I am also trying to get my application before the Reserves and OTS boards this fall. I just got off the phone with the reserves recruiter and he told me that the AD/OTS nor the reserves will accept an IFC1 from a Guard unit. Is this something new, or what is the deal? Just wondering if I get to look forward to the whole thing again?!? Thanks for any feedback.

Jason

Guest F16PilotMD

The reason for all this BS is that people in the different branches don't know anything about the others. The AD folks esp. So, the easiest thing to do is re-do it from scratch. If you have an approved IFC-1, you should be done. If it gets done again...the same SG will approve it...again.

Guest P27:17

Term of validity for IFC 1 exams is now 4 years...HQ AETC is the certification authority.

AETC doesn't care what AF source generates the exam as long as it meets the IFC 1 criteria and is current. It's a waste and an overkill to get another exam but when in doubt, if asked to do so, put your heals together and salute smartly.

• 1 month later...
Guest chuzie

Does this apply to the reserves too?

I had an IFC1 done while on active duty back in '04 and wonder if I will need to reaccomplish it as a reservist in addition to the MFS at Brooks.

Yes to your first question and no to your second.

The IFC 1, regardless of the source, is good for 4 years...that is AF policy. All you should need now is your MFS.

Guest nkitch

Can somebody please tell me or lead me to a place where I can find the standards for dental for the FC1? I had some cavities in my high school days and got them all fixed. I just want to make sure I go into the test knowing what needs to be done.

Thank You,

Nick

Nick,

Good question...

The IFC 1 gets what is called a Type 1 dental exam. That includes panoramic and bite wing x-rays and a complete/comprehensive dental examination. You must be class 1 (no pathologic oral conditions and no treatment required).

Dental issues are a common disqualifying defect but on the flip side, once treated, you are qualified. My advice to you and others in a similar situation is, if you have the means (money/dental plan), go see your dentist before going for the IFC 1 and get any obvious treatment done before hand.

Once you get your IFC 1 it will be on hold until you are cleared dentally. One note of caution, if you wait until your IFC 1 and you have dental issues (cavities/impacting wisdom teeth), don't rush out and get them fixed if you are not willing/able to pay for the treatment. You need to wait until you hear from HQ AETC/SGPS for specific guidance.

Good luck

Guest cropdusterdave

I dunno...I had a cavity at my FC1. I just had to go to my regular dentist and get it fixed then had the base dentist verify the work was done.

I wouldn't wait around for HQ AETC/SGPS to tell you to fix your tooth. Unless you want to try for an age waiver.

The only way AETC would know about it....is if your clinic submitted your IFC1 paperwork to AETC when you are on a dental profile. If that is the case...your clinic staff sucks big ass!

Cropduster,

Good on you for taking a "lead turn"...my point is, if you have or think you may have dental issues and you can (have the means) get your dental work done before the IFC 1, it will save you from an extended wait or as you state need for "age waiver". What often happens, is an applicant who is not covered by military treatment, rushes out, get a thousand dollar dental procedure done, then starts waiving the bill around looking for "Uncle Sugar" to pay for it. Not gonna happen...BTW, my experience with AETC is that they are not the cause of the delay...it's usually the individual dragging his/her feet, the MTF omissions/mistakes, or detachment/unit SNAFU's. ;)

Guest nkitch

I have a pretty big overbite. Was told years back that I couldn't get braces because my jaw would require surgery before I could even get braces. Can you get DQ's for an overbite?

Thanks in advance!

nkitch,

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm no expert on dental regs but I have an overbite and have never had a problem. Like was said earlier, if you have obvious cavities, etc and have good dental insurance then go ahead and take care of the stuff before the IFC1 but if not, don't sweat it. My experience has always been that they will treat the problems that you have to get you to IFC1. Believe it or not, not every pilot in the AF has perfect teeth.

Nkitch,

as long as the overbite isn't causing other symptoms/problems with chewing, speech or would make wearing an aviator/gas mask difficult, you should be OK...

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe another way of looking at it is...the IFC 1 is good UP to 4 years...if you need that much time before entering UPT. Besides the IFC 1 exam, you must also pass Medical Flight Screening (MFS)...this will validate the IFC 1. I also have heard you will receive a "gateway" exam once you arrive at UPT...is it the PHA/FC2?...I don't know for sure. Here is the AFI reference on term of validity of IFC 1 exams...

3.1.2. Flying Training. Examination (Flying Classes I and IA) must be current within 48 months prior

to starting Undergraduate Flying Training (UFT). Medical history (SF 93/DD Form 2807-1) must be

verified as current within 12 months prior to start of training.

3.1.2.1. Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) applicants must meet Flying Class I standards to be

eligible for entry into the Medical Flight Screening (MFS) program.

3.1.2.2. All UPT applicants must pass MFS prior to beginning undergraduate pilot training.

3.1.2.3. Pilot and Navigator candidates must have a current, certified Flying Class I/1A examination,

respectively, on record and meet Flying Class II standards to begin UFT.

3.1.2.4. A PHA is conducted prior to beginning active flying Undergraduate Flying Training

(UFT). This PHA done for UFT purposes only is valid for two years or until the end of the first

AFI48-123V1 5 JUNE 2006 11

birth month following graduation from UNT or Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals and through

pipeline Flight Training Upgrade (FTU) (whichever is longer).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HercDriver

Once you go through UPT, they will reset your clock on a flying class physical 1, which will then be good for 2 years, about the time you show up at your unit. The physicals get much less demanding after that initial one prior to UPT. In fact, mine take about 30 minutes now, after 6 years of flying. And yes, they do check for all the latest and greatest eye surgeries when you go through Brooks.

• 5 months later...
Guest CrazyErnie

Is there an average ballpark length of time between taking the Initial FC1 and receiving the affirmative/negative? I took mine back in October and by now I'm getting pretty anxious.

-Crazy

Where did you take it?

- If it was Brooks usually takes an average of 2 - 3 months (start to certification)

- If it was done at an AF medical treatment facility it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year...then you will be scheduled for MFS.

Have your unit/detachment contact HQ AETC

Guest salokin

To piggy back - if I have my FC1 and MFS in late feb, and I commission in may through ROTC, that's cutting it pretty close if the average is around 3 months. What happens if the physical isn't complete/certified before commission/graduation time?

Thanks.

EDIT: I realize this is more of an admin question, but I just figured I'd try my luck.

EDIT #2: Took mine about 1 1/2 months and no problems arose with commissioning and physical.

Edited by salokin

As the May grad date approaches there will be considerable pressure to complete the exam (from all directions). Now if your case has some big complications (rare) you may have your commissioning put on hold (last option).

I think you stand a real good chance of having a certification before graduation.

• 4 weeks later...

From FC1 at my base to approval by AETC was about 4 months. I'm told this is unusually fast - I was making phone calls every week or so to keep on top of it. Make some phone calls, maybe someone just needs a reminder that you exist.

• 2 weeks later...

My FC1 is scheduled on a Wednesday and I will have to drive 2 hours back home afterwards because I have to work the next day. Will my eyes still be dilated enough to affect my driving? Will I even be able to drive home afterwards? I asked my recruiter and he said I should be fine but I think I've read otherwise on here.

Here is an example of instructions you should have been given as part of your exam:

1. A cycloplegic eye examination is required as part of your physical examination for pilot or navigator training in accordance with Air Force Instruction 48-123. A cycloplegic is a drug that dilates the pupil, limiting the eyes ability to focus at various distances. Although it is not harmful, this drug may affect the eye for 18 hours or longer.

2. You are advised that operating a motor vehicle or other machinery following this examination, and within an 18 to 20 hour period, could be hazardous. Transportation will be provided during this examination process; however, if you are authorized to drive a privately owned vehicle, we highly recommend you refrain from driving during your physical process. You should bring a pair sunglasses as the bright light may cause some discomfort after the cycloplegic eye examination.

Now I not going to tell you not to drive but you might want to get a hotel ready or a driving partner (not undergoing a FC I exam) just in case...