FC1 Physical Information

Guest Ragansundowner

My guess would be that it was just signed off by the flight doc rather than the SG. 3 months seems pretty quick to have it completed but, only your recruiter can tell you for sure.

after the base flight doc has signed off on the physical, the recruiter will then send it off up the chain to AETC.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bruno

Does anyone know if the FC1 and FAA class 1 medical are even remotely the same? If I can pass one--can I pass the other?

thanks

Guest AV8NSP

I took the FC1 prior to UPT and the FC2 upon my arrival here (they only do an FC2 on you when you arrive). Right before I finished Tweets, I went to an AME downtown to get a new civilian medical since mine had expired, and since they all cost the same I took the Class 1.

With that experience, I can tell you that the FC1 is much more in depth and probing than the civilian Class 1. If you can pass the FC1, you can most likely pass an FAA Class 1. Don't know if that would work the other way around, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ragansundowner

Here's the situation I'm currently in. I took my FC1 at Andrew's AFB back in January of this year. Was accepted to OTS in February. My FC1 was sent from Andrews to Randolph in April. It's now August and I haven't heard anything. I've tried asking my recruiter how long it normally takes for the FC1 to return with a class date for OTS, but haven't been able to get a straight answer from him. He seems to skirt around the situation and tell me that it takes a while and I should just keep waiting.

The questions I have are:

1.) on average how long does it take for the FC1 to come back approved once it heads to Randolph?

2.) Is there anyway I can check up on it personally to make sure the paperwork is in the correct spot and being processed?

Any helpful advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Waiting Patiently,

R.S.

1) I am not sure of an average but from everyone that I've heard from it usually takes a few months. You're above that average now, but my package was sent to Brooks (pretty sure it was not Randolph) in February and it didn't clear until early June. So that is about how long you've waited now. I wasn't selected until June (I was an 04-03 non-select) so it didn't end up mattering for me, but.. well.. yeah.

2) When I went in after being selected to do my fingerprints I had my recruiter check on my FC1 status. He clicked on his computer database (looked like it was over the internet) and checked my status. Right there, along with my select status and my AFSC and my class date (said N/A) was my FC1 status. It had cleared a few days earlier. So it isn't difficult for your recruiter to check if it is cleared or not. I am not sure how YOU can find out if it is even being processed or not, but I bet your recruiter would be able to find out if you pressed him hard enough.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Got a quick question... I am currently active duty enlisted, and am planning on separating the Air Force in a couple of weeks. I had an FC1 done last April. I am planning on Submitting an OTS package in March of 05.. Will I be required to take another FC1 since I will be a civilian? Thanks, Ryan

No, you shouldn't be required to complete another FC1...as they are good for 3 years regardless of your military status.

However, I would resubmit this question to the aviation medical section and have a flight doc answer this for certain...

• 4 weeks later...

I recently received my FC1, and coincidently also just had my FAA medical expire. My question is this...is there any way I can get my military FC1 to count towards an FAA medical, or do I have to pay $80 to have a civilian doc poke and prod me again?

If so, what do I have to do, i.e. paperwork or other such crap, to get the FAA equivelant so I can start flying again?

Any insight here would be helpful.

[ 26. October 2004, 19:36: Message edited by: Koozie ]

Guest Retired AF

A few (very few) USAF flight docs maintain certification as FAA AMEs, and could fill out the FAA paperwork for you at the time of your USAF physical. A few (very few, and they don't advertise this) civilian AMEs MAY give you a discount on a physical if you bring a current USAF physical to the exam (they essentially pencil-whip the FAA paperwork based on your USAF paperwork.) In all likelyhood, you are going to have to pay full price to an AME for your FAA physical.

• 1 month later...

I am currently enlisted in the Mass. Air Guard and I want to apply for an active duty UPT slot. I've filled all the squares except for the FC1. How would I go about getting this physical done so I can apply. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Guest F16PilotMD

Ask your base hospital. They may or may not do it but it is definitely do-able. Anyone can get an IFC-1 accomplished. It is just more work...consequently, some won't do it for you. One way to help sometimes is to go through the flight docs...not the hospital admin. If you find a pilot-friendly doc (ask your pilots who to go to), (s)he will likely get it done.

• 2 months later...
Guest theflyinj

Hello,

I just got done with my commissioning physical yesterday and I was just wondering what they do for the Flying Class 1 that they don't do on the commissioning physical. I know I can't study for it or anything, I would just like to know what I am in for and how long it takes. Thanks for the info.

theflyinj

FC1 is much more extensive than the commissioning physical. It took several days for me to complete all of it.

For FC1 standards check out AFI 48-123. For types of tests, check out AFP 48-133. Both can be found at http://www.e-publishing.af.mil.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest comanche

I did my medical for the Reserves, if I apply for the ANG, and get accepted, will I have to redo it, or will they accept it?

Thanks,

Comanche

Guest dford3_99

Short answer is they will make you redo it. I had one done at an ANG Air Refueling Wing and then was accepted to my ANG Fighter Wing, and they made me redo the whole thing. No big deal though right? Now you know what to expect.

Guest comanche

It's not a big deal, but it wasn't a whole lot of fun. But well worth it if I get accepted!!! What about a waiver, I have to get a waiver, will that transfer, or make it easier to get one for the ANG?

Thanks,

Comanche

Guest dford3_99

Not sure about the waiver, but if I would have to guess I would say you would have to redo that as well. I could be wrong though.

Good Luck!

If you took an Initial Flying Class I physical and it was stamped from the SG, then you can apply to AD, Reserves, or Guard for 36 months with the same physical. I took my IFC1 at an ANG base and was subsequently picked up by a Reserve unit with the same physical. Actually, the Reserve unit liked that it was already done an stamped. Guard units can be picky about keeping all the paperwork from their own unit. I found they really didn't like taking someone else's work.

Short answer....it it was completed and stamped (even with a waiver), you shouldn't have any problems using it in your package if it is within 36 months from when you took it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest egovolo

As previously suggested to avoid delays in the paperwork of the FC1, I visited my dentist. Long story short, there are some cavities that need to be filled (the doc thought they were minor, and in most cases he wouldn't fill them). That appointment is the day prior to my FC1. I am concerned about the use of novacain(?) or any other thing the dentist might use that would effect my FC1 the next morning.

Guest F16PilotMD

Probably not the best timing. Just tell them what you've done BEFORE you give blood or urine. They may want to delay your tests. I'm frankly not sure if local anesthetic will show in blood/urine. Sounds like a simple question...just haven't ever encountered it. Best plan is to have the dental work done earlier.

Guest egovolo

Thanks F16PilotMD. I didn't think of this before leaving the dentist's office. I plan on asking him tomorrow and perhaps posing the same question to the docs at the local AFB. Another question comes to mind- will the flight surgeon be able to sign off on my FAA class II as well? Sure beats another exam.